Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Easiest way to upgrade to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 11:32 AM
FoleyF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to upgrade to DVD

This is my first post.....been using the site for months.....Everyone's knowledge on this site is quite impressive.....Thanks for all of the help! I have been reading all of the posts that reference upgrading the stock Bose Touring Edition radio/cd changer we have and upgrading it to a higher end system that plays DVD movies. I am looking for a consensus on the easisest way to make that upgrade. From what I have read, it appears that the Farenheit 5801 is leading the pack for the screen.....it seems to fit like a glove......but what else is needed to complete the upgrade. I would assume a new head unit, maybe an amp and definately some other parts like FM modulators. I thought that this would be a good place to start a new thread for someone who is looking to get some advice for a quick fix that will bring DVD movie playing capabilites and somewhat better sound to the Z. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2002, 11:43 AM
RODiculouZ

Default Re: Easiest way to upgrade to DVD

Originally posted by FoleyF
This is my first post.....been using the site for months.....Everyone's knowledge on this site is quite impressive.....Thanks for all of the help! I have been reading all of the posts that reference upgrading the stock Bose Touring Edition radio/cd changer we have and upgrading it to a higher end system that plays DVD movies. I am looking for a consensus on the easisest way to make that upgrade. From what I have read, it appears that the Farenheit 5801 is leading the pack for the screen.....it seems to fit like a glove......but what else is needed to complete the upgrade. I would assume a new head unit, maybe an amp and definately some other parts like FM modulators. I thought that this would be a good place to start a new thread for someone who is looking to get some advice for a quick fix that will bring DVD movie playing capabilites and somewhat better sound to the Z. Thanks!
All you would need to do is get a screen, a dvd player, and an FM modulator. You could stick with your stock radio because you will have to use the FM frequencies to communicate with the modulator which is then connected to the DVD player via wires. that's about it! I see this as the best way to go seeing the other DVD head units are really expensive. You could get a single DIN dvd player for $200 or more.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:49 AM
FoleyF

Sounds easy.....One Question......will the new head unit make the sound of the system better. I would think so, but has anyone installed just a head unit, without new speakers, amps, etc. If so, was there a dramatic difference in the sound? What is the consensus pick on a good head unit that looks clean. Also what DVD player is the consensus and where should it be installed?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2002, 12:29 PM
jabroney12

No, worse actually. The stock crossovers directs too much power to the tweeters and becomes really ear piercing and the mid sound kinda muffled dont know why excatly though. I have an alpine 7983 with internal VDRIVE 60x4 , instead of making it louder and clearer it actually muffles the sound. Get new speakers too.