Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Nice audio a waste in a noisy car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Dr. Greg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice audio a waste in a noisy car?

I have an '03 Track, and---while I'm not ready to do it yet---I may at some point be interested in an audio upgrade. But the Fairlady is not known as a quiet car (to say the least), so I'm wondering about the wisdom of installing a nice audio system in a car that itself is a little noisy.

Be advised that I'm an old geezer (57) who will probably be listening to oldies and 60s folk music and geezer classical music... not that "THUMP-THUMP" stuff favored by the wacky youngsters these days...
Old 04-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
I have an '03 Track, and---while I'm not ready to do it yet---I may at some point be interested in an audio upgrade. But the Fairlady is not known as a quiet car (to say the least), so I'm wondering about the wisdom of installing a nice audio system in a car that itself is a little noisy.

Be advised that I'm an old geezer (57) who will probably be listening to oldies and 60s folk music and geezer classical music... not that "THUMP-THUMP" stuff favored by the wacky youngsters these days...
Representing the "Wacky Youngsters" I would like to say that whatever you will be listening to, it will sound much better with a new system. Not sure if you would want a small sub woofer anyway just to get a bass line in your music. I think whatever you put it would be better with at least an 8" sub or a basslink just to give you some good low end.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 PM
WhiteZed

its doesnt matter what style of music you are into, you will appreciate it and not to mention hear a lot more sounds with a QUALITY stereo ...

just cause your an (old geezer) it doenst matter

i think it is the coolest thing, seeing an older person, crusing in a hot car, windows down/ or top down, with there TUNES *old classical* or whatever tuned up loud
REPRESENT haha,

if you have a few $$ to spend, trust me you will appreciate a high end good quality stereo system,
just make sure you ask lots of questions on the forums if you dont know much about brands.. there are some really crappy brands that will sound bad, worse than stock in my opinion

*sony*
*pioneer*
*cheep brands*

and yeah any kind of music will appreciate a sub woofer, just for the low end, doesnt mean you will crusing with thump thump cause you have a sub woofer
it will add a nice ballance
Old 04-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

BTW...that "thump thump" is actually music. LOL
You just can't hear it unless you're really close! The sub however can be heard from much further away. :-)
Old 04-02-2005, 07:12 PM
rplink

Dr. Greg, some strategically placed sound deadening material will make a big difference in the amount of cabin noise. Place some over the rear wheel wells and then the cargo area floor. You'll be amazed at how much quieter the interior is.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by rplink
Dr. Greg, some strategically placed sound deadening material will make a big difference in the amount of cabin noise. Place some over the rear wheel wells and then the cargo area floor. You'll be amazed at how much quieter the interior is.

This is the best route to go. Try this first then decide if you care to install a system. (you will)

(remember guys hes old, we need to take him one step at a time before he steps off the deep end like us brash young people)
Old 04-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Z'd Up

Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
Be advised that I'm an old geezer (57) who will probably be listening to oldies and 60s folk music and geezer classical music.
more the reason to upgrade your audio system.
since you don't thump thump you should look into some quality mid-ranges and mid bass speakers and of course the head unit. Since you think the Z is loud already, you need some amps to power that sweet music to your ears.

You may also want to add a digital sound processor which will allow you to add a center channel (ideal for vocals, folk and classical music acoustics) to save yourself some research - Kenwood for one has this add on unit. But you will need to get a Kenwood headunt.

Believe me if you got a system like this and closed your eyes, your ears will tell you that you were in a concert hall.

Since you asked - you must be thinking about it already... So, go for it. You deserve a nice sound system... Be sure to let us know what you think after you get the new system in.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:16 PM
RANDY350Z

Ask yourself what you want out of an audio system. If you want the top end--Eclipse / Alpine you are going to spend some cash. (2000 -5000 depending on your set-up. or you can go upto 20000.00 for an Alpine F#1 system--really nice!!!)

Also, if you plan on keeping your Z, this would be good. I personally got tired of the stock look and sound and on each vehicle i have upgraded to an awesome system. Then again, I am a true home and car audio and video enthusiast.

Do some research and look at these on display . Personally I think Eclipse has the best systems out now--very high end.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM
WhiteZed

yeah eclipse

deck the whole car out with eclipse products

excellant
Old 04-03-2005, 04:53 AM
kitkos

Dynamat
Old 04-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by RANDY350Z
Ask yourself what you want out of an audio system. If you want the top end--Eclipse / Alpine you are going to spend some cash. (2000 -5000 depending on your set-up. or you can go upto 20000.00 for an Alpine F#1 system--really nice!!!)

Also, if you plan on keeping your Z, this would be good. I personally got tired of the stock look and sound and on each vehicle i have upgraded to an awesome system. Then again, I am a true home and car audio and video enthusiast.

Do some research and look at these on display . Personally I think Eclipse has the best systems out now--very high end.
Dont forget Mcintosh, Tru and all those companies that eat alpine and eclipse for lunch.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:30 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2

I don't have any aftermarket stereo equipment in my Z as of yet, but doing this alone quieted the car to some degree.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Dr. Greg

Default What kind of insulation?

What kind of sound deadening material have people used? Thermal insulation? Or are there special products made for sound insulation (I'm sure there are). Any tips would be appreciated; this sounds like something I should do.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:00 AM
hjobe

Although a little pricey, I have been pleased with Dynamat and Dynaliner products.

Sounddomain.com has the best prices on these damping materials. Sounds like you should at least get some Dynamat Extreme. Do a web search for Dynamat and you will find the manufacturer's web site. There is some very detailed discussion on there regarding the best product for the intended application.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
WhiteZed

www.secondskinaudio.com

i have some sprectrum V3 putty on the way

i got mine for $49 per gallon (i got 2 gallons) + shipping which was $150
i dont mine the shipping, its kinda what happens when you dont live in the US

it is the same with everything, so it doesnt matter anymore

should have it by the end of the week, i will let you know how it goes
dampining liquid, is ment to be a lot better than mats, and its cheaper

do some research, ask questions, and as i said, i will let you know next week how much dirrerance the V3 makes
Old 04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
dannichols

I'm with Zed.. Spectrum II is what I used tho. Also 1/8" neoprene, Dynaliner, and Dynamat Extreme.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:40 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannichols
I'm with Zed.. Spectrum II is what I used tho. Also 1/8" neoprene, Dynaliner, and Dynamat Extreme.
What color does the Spectrum putty dry to?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
WhiteZed

the only reason i am getting sprectrum is because of dannichols

colour

im sure the V2 was dark grey

the V3 is BLACK

V3 is also heaps thicker, i think it was decribed as peanut butter
second skin audio has a forum and there are some pics on there, i dont think many people have the V3 yet, it is pretty new,

but i should have mine next week, i will post pics and give a review
Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
WhiteZed

dannichols

how do you fine the V2 on the underside of the wheel wells?
is the sprectrum tough enough to be on the outside?

im just worried about the stones/rocks / dirt / crap chipping it off?

any issues ??

im definatly putting it on the underside
just worried how hard it sets ?

i wouldnt think there would be any problems, better to ask someone who has done it though
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 PM
dannichols

I think the wheel wells are a must and the Spectrum II is a wonderful product for the outside. I hope you have luck with the III Zed. Thick as Peanut butter sounds a little unmanageable but I'm sure if others are having such success with it, you should be fine.

The first 12 hours or so it seems susceptible to water or foreign objects peeling it away, but after that it is very permanent and somewhat elastic; so gravel, sand, or rocks shouldn't be an issue. When I first ordered the product I thought it was basically going to be like the rubberized dampener that we find in Dynamat Extreme or an asphalt based product. It isn't like either of those, not sticky or rubbery when dry..The only places it doesn't seem to stick well to is painted areas.

I put on about 4-5 coats in the wheel wells using a 2" brush. I wouldn't suggest trying to put it in any other areas outside the vehicle. The rest of the underbody is too irregular and hard to paint and you may get it too close to exhaust or areas that may need to be serviced in the future. You may also end up plugging holes that are necessary for drainage, or trap water and cause corrosion.

I used about 1 gal in the wells, the other 2 gals went inside. I took out all the panels, seats, carpet, and lower dash and "painted" the floor pan, behind kick panels, inner door, cubby area behind seats, trunk and inner wheel well area. Some of these spots already had Dynamat Extreme (50 sq ft).. I just painted right on top of it. For sound absorbtion/noise reduction (Dynamat alone doesn't cut it) I also went with foams. In most of the inner areas I added a layer or two of 1/8" neoprene held down with 3M #90 spray glue. Where space was available (some under carpet areas, cubby, behind panels, and trunk) I also added open cell acoustic foam (Dynaliner) and Tacmat.

This work and getting my front tires replaced (feathering) has provided me a very quiet ride. My previous car was a Jag S-type so I do have something to compare it to. I have most recently been experimenting with the window angle adjustments in the door, trying to reduce the wind whistle..The wind noise is actually louder now than the road noise!

Quick Reply: Nice audio a waste in a noisy car?