Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

crazy Idea, is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 09:13 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crazy Idea, is it possible?

ok, this is my thought.... probably insane but... you hook up a LCD screen in the nav compartment(if you donthave nav of course) then hook up some sort of unit like Gtech, that will process your engine RPMs, Gforces in all directions, speed, all that good stuff automaticly for you. and keep track of it. then maybe even have it hook up to a lap top when your done and record it.

you could also have the LCD display virtual gauges of whatever you wanted to have, just hook up the sensor and the unit will do the rest with it.

the screen could also be used for DVD, or camera, that you could maybe save to a CD or DVD recorder and then you would have video of you racing. mount the camera in the grill or something...

basicly the idea is for the actual unit and all these accesories.

is such a thing produced? it certainly seems possible, itd probably cost a grand for the unit, and then extra for the accesories that you choose to include, but I think itd be tight as hell, the entire car would look normal till you open up the nav cover and start screwing with the touch screen. controlling every part of the car from there. and hooking it up to your lap top for more options. maybe even tie it into a custom ECU and program the characteristics of the car through it.

<----- dork, but you all know if this existed youd want it. I saw something similair to this in a skyline video I got off kazaa. so could it exist?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:46 AM
CLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of doing this exact same thing. I wanted to put in a screen and then a camera in the front grill for those spirirted driving days in the mountains. That would be cool as hell if you could record the video on to something. I dont really care about the other stuff right now. How cool would it be to have a video of you driving down 85 or in the mountains with the view about 6 inches off the ground.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:56 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible? Yes. But it would likely cost a hell of a lot. The actual machanics of it would be fairly simple; a screen with touch capability, one of those new "pocket computer" deals that pack a P4 and operating sytem into the size of a pack of smokes, and your performance meter equipment. The trick is the software to make it all work. Software to make the touchscreen interface work, to interpret and display the performance meter info. and do whatever else you think a system such as this should have. Does anything like this exist? Yes, in the BMW 7 series iDrive system. Thats a heck of alot more complex that what you are proposing, but at least it proves it would be possible. Now if only someone could develop and market it, it would be a pretty neat toy.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:47 AM
importriders

Very possible. Software I would use is Labview. Labview is one of the most powerful programs out there, if not the most powerful, especially for doing DAQ. The hardest part would be finding the right sensors for communication compatibility. You just need some kind of comp that can run Windows OS.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:01 PM
JP00SS

I would wreck lookin at all that stuff!! Yeah, anything is possible if you have the money. I am not sure for the 350, but I know for the LS1's we have autotap that goes on the laptop. You can then hook it in to your car video system if you have one (I don't) but one of my friends does and I think he said its possible to have it done, and it it is possible he will have it eventually. That camera would be sweet CLS, but all it would see is the tailights of a SS (joking for all you flamers)
Old 11-21-2002, 12:27 PM
Slareau02

Doesn't the R34-GTR have some digital center mounted gauges?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:32 PM
aggie300zx

http://www.gnetcanada.com/rpc-overview.htm

It's a company that makes PC's just for your car/truck. It basically just serves as a really small PC that can handle the bumps and can be hooked up to something like a 7" touchscree. This opens the door to accessories for GPS Nav and OBDII interfaces options.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:13 PM
MacGuru

Great site. I think this is what I'm looking for. Looks like it may be a bit on the expensive side, but if it can do all it say it can maybe it's worth it. -m

Originally posted by aggie300zx
http://www.gnetcanada.com/rpc-overview.htm
Old 11-21-2002, 02:59 PM
nub

You can get alot of mini pc's that would be much faster, more RAM, ect. without paying such a high price. the only special thing about their pc is their "OS"(not really an OS but just a program that starts up when the comp boots) which u can probably buy from them with huge savings compared to buying their package. Also search for mini pc's on this site and u will get a nice thread where we discussed mini pc's.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:03 PM
nub

Hmm was reading more on their site and realized they do have some very cool features that u can add to the pc.. such as the nav, the touchpad, and the little remote that controls winamp and such.. fun little gadgets that you might be able to find somewhere for cheaper, i just havnt looked as i am too lazy.