Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DVD - Emergency Brake dilema

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:00 PM
FoleyF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD - Emergency Brake dilema

I have decided to let Tweeter install an LCD Screen in the empty Nav space on my Touring model. They will also be installing a DVD player in the glove box and an FM Modulator for sound through the existing Bose radio. I think they may have to install some sort of A/V switch as well. Unfortunately, Tweeter will not install the DVD system unless it is configured only to work when the emergency brake is engaged.......This is a bummer. Does anyone know the best way around this problem or a possible fix once the job is completed? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:21 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

they will probably hook the ground from your dvd player to the parking brake switch (which is a ground switch also.) all you have to do is remove the ground wire from that switch, and ground directly to the chassis.

then again, they might have more tricks... but the parking brake trick can be overcome with the above instructions.

good luck.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:16 PM
FoleyF

Thanks for that info.....My next question is: Where is the parking brake switch located.....is it next to the parking brake or somewhere else in the car. Sorry, but I have no clue!
Old 11-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Subw00er

Dont worry about finding the switch. Just cut the black wire (ground) at the dvd player and grind down the paint to get a good contact with metal. Then screw it on tight (or use a stock ground location - there is one to the far left and right of the car, on the side facing the back of the seats. You'll see it if you remove that panel.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:05 AM
Megatron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a even easier fix. What my neighbor does with his vette (he had the same problem). He just pulls the e-brake up, to the first click. This doesn't really apply the e-brakes, but the car thinks the e-brake is on. In the z, you need to bring the e-brake up like 4 or 5 clicks, for the brakes to actually catch. So just pull the e-brake up to one click. And wall la instance movie. Hopefully i'll get my dvd player install over the spring. Right now car has drained the pockets

"Unicron why do you tortue me?"
Old 11-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add something that I have been thinking about while I am waiting for my system to be completed (~1.5 more weeks!), is the fact that a cop could drive up behind me and see "This Is Spinal Tap" playing on the screen through the back window. Granted the brake trick may work, but I am planning on having a small switch put somewhere that could be flipped to "prove" that the image he saw was just my navigation screen and that the DVD player will only work when the parking brake is fully engaged. Then again, ever since I had a new drivers license picture taken with a tuxedo on, all three cops that have pulled me over have had a good laugh and let me go.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:08 AM
qirex

which system are you getting...the pioneer?

DVD + NAV for $1300 (screen is $600)?

I dont understand though....why a DVD in the car?

I mean I can KINDA understand an XBOX or something...(not really)

e
Old 11-21-2002, 04:47 PM
shoalhaven

Question

Hey SKiDaZZLe --

Not the right thread?? but,
What reverse camera did you get and what did you pay for it?