Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My $2000 Bose Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 09:48 PM
Miami350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My $2000 Bose Fix!

Well,
I had the Bose amp replaced and guess what? It still SUCKS A$$. Sooo, my local Sound Advice had a sale today and this is what I bought:

Fronts: Boston Acoustics Z6 Reference Series Components
Rear: Boston Acoustics Rally Series RC620 Components
Sub: JL Audio 12W3v2 dual voice coil sub
Monster Audio Interconnects, Power Wiring, etc.
Major Dynamat Action at each speaker location and rear speaker panel.
Installation Work including custom mounting plates for the Z6 woofers in the doors and Custom Sub box in the stock location behind driver's seat.

Stuff I already had:
Amp: My cherished existing 5 channel (5X50W, 1X200W RMS Blaupunkt V7000 made in USA limited production) (Transplanted from previous car)
Head unit: Stock Bose Head Unit w/Navigation integration

I was kind of wary entrusting my baby to an installer but I saw the techinician's "CD-ROM" album of previous installs, including one of a Chrome Silver/Frost Touring 6MT with NAV as well as a $20k competition system in a CLK 430 and they were all clean. He specializes in the stealth factory look which is what I am aiming for. He is also an RF Engineer so that bodes well...

I get it installed this week and should have it ready by Thanksgiving. Will update with pics if possible.

Miami350Z
Silverstone/Burnt Orange Touring 6MT
All options except Splash guards
3M Clearbra
LoJack
Old 11-24-2002, 09:58 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

looks like a nice selection of components... i am pretty sure they will have problems getting that huge 12" JL in the stock location. i stuck with dual 8W3's... they sound superb, ask anyone who's been in my car.

sound advice is the same corporation as Tweeter, who did my car. you can see my install in various threads on this board, and a nice summary from my entry into the competition here: http://promos.tweeter.com/carcontest...ewart146267311

have fun with it...

michael

PS: get a different headunit... the difference is well worth the extra dough.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:13 PM
roberto350z

yes. A new stereo is key. I love my Jl XR's....
Old 11-25-2002, 11:58 AM
Miami350Z

SKiDaZZLe,
I saw your pics and it looks good! I hope my installer can take some decent shots of my car throughout the process. I think he will, judging by the amount of pics he has taken of his previous installs. He said he had no worries about getting the 12" to fit in the stock location. I will speak to him a bit further on that.

Yeah,
I hear you guys on the new head unit. However, I really wanted a stealth "stock look".

I am waiting for a decent US-spec dual din unit to come out with an indash CD changer of some sort (maybe even MP3 CD-R/RW playback?). Why no one has come out with one is beyond me (Eclipse, are you listening???), considering all of the people who drive around in cars with double-din openings. I saw the JDM Sony "twin circle" MD/CD head unit and it looks real sweet (especially for $600) but I love the convenience of a changer without the hassle of magazines, etc.

Miami350Z
Old 11-25-2002, 04:25 PM
aggie300zx

I concur on both points. If they can get that JL 12 in the stock location, they get mucho points. My installer found it to be very difficult just getting my JL10W3 in there, which I opted not to do for $$$ reasons. I was in the same boat, in terms of keeping things stock looking. I replaced everything but the headunit....welllllllll.....I made the leap this weekend and replaced my base headunit with an Alpine 7998....OH MY! It was well worth the change of the stock look, this thing is awesome. I fell like I have a whole new system. Just my two cents, but the fact you are putting BA-Z's in there you should them justice with a better headunit! just my 2 cent ofcourse.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Miami350Z

aggie300ZX,
I hear ya - but I didn't want to go nuts yet when I think there will be some killer double-din heads coming out over the next year. I figure I will have plenty of fun with the Z6s and will look forward to a head unit upgrade later on...

I am mulling over swapping my Blaupunkt amp with the JL Audio 500/5. Trying to find it online because the stereo shop won't dip below $800.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Miami350Z

Need to edit banner - that $2k bose fix is now $2.8k. I got the JL Audio 500/5 Amplifier (100W x 2 Front, 25W x 2 Rear, 250W Sub).

Check it out:
JL Audio 500/5 Amplifier

Will post pics as soon as they are available. The installer will be putting the amp between the glove box and subwoofer bins behind the center console. He is also installing a remote bass control in the blank next to the VDC switch...

Boy this has climbed quickly!

Miami 350Z

Silverstone/Burnt Orange Touring 6MT
3M Clear Bra
3M Headlight Protection Kit
LoJack
Soon to have:
JL Audio 500/5 Amp
Boston Acoustics Z6 & Rally RC620 Components Front & Rear
JL Audio 12W3v2 Subwoofer