Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replace the front speakers

Old 11-26-2002, 12:33 PM
flyzmd80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace the front speakers

I've searched the subject but I can't find a response. What speakers are available to replace just the fronts with out any other installation or amp mods while keeping the head unit.

Bob Z
Old 11-26-2002, 05:57 PM
CaneZMD

Hey man, you can use most any 6 and 1/2 inch component system. The only problem is that there is only about 1 inch of clearance between the door frame and the window. The stock speakers have a built in spacer.

What I did was this: I got Infiniti Kappa 6.5 components which I installed by cutting the factory speaker out of it's built in spacer. You need a dremel, but if you do it carefully, you can drop the infiniti right into the stock spacer, although you destroy the factory speaker by doing it.

Lastly, I don't know that there is much to gain without changing the head unit. I noticed some difference, but I noticed alot more when I ditched the factory HU.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:58 PM
nizl

Most 6.5" speakers you get that don't suck are going to be way less efficient than the ******** paper cone crap that comes with the Z, so you will probably need an amp too.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:43 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point... the sound still sucks after installing a new deck.

If you guys replaced the rear speakers, did the volume improve much in the rear?

I noticed after installing my new deck that the rear speakers still sounded weak. I just hope there isn't any resistance between the deck output and the rear speakers.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:53 PM
SnoopyZ

I dunno if this has been posted before... but has anyone replaced just the speakers on the Bose unit? I know that other Bose systems have amps built on the speakers (or something like that). But the Z has the Bose amps in the trunk... so that is why I was curious...
Old 11-28-2002, 07:16 AM
MSGarrett1

Talking

Originally posted by nizl
Most 6.5" speakers you get that don't suck are going to be way less efficient than the ******** paper cone crap that comes with the Z, so you will probably need an amp too.
Exactly. If your goal is to minimize expense and to keep the factory appearance of the factory head unit, I recommend the JL Audio 300/2 amp powering your choice of quality aftermarket component speakers -- Dynaudio is the best, but also the most expensive. I believe the Diamond audio Hex series components are an excellent value, and my second choice (with the silk tweeters--again my preference). Focal, MB Quart, Boston Acoustic, etc are all also excellent manufacturers of quality component speaker sets--choose according to your own listening tastes.

One advantage of the JL amp in this scenerio is that it will accept speaker level inputs, as you won't be using the RCA's from an aftermarket head unit. If all you do is replace the factory front speakers with any of the above mentioned aftermarket components, properly powered by a quality aftermarket amplifier, such as the JL audio 300/2 mentioned, you will notice a remarkable improvement in sound quality. You can then, at a later date, add a subwoofer(s), a subwoofer amp, an aftermarket head unit, and rear speakers if you choose.