Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Using an 05 Bose HU in an 04 with aftermarket speakers/sub/amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 AM
350zQ45a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an 05 Bose HU in an 04 with aftermarket speakers/sub/amp

I know this is lame, so don't flame me

Anyway I have aftermarket speakers,sub,amps etc. I'm sort of cash short right now, and instead of spending the 1,200 on the HU I wanted, I am thinking of cheaping out and getting an 05 bose HU off of ebay. I want the 05 head unit because it has the built in SAT, which is the primary reason I listen to audio in my car.

So can I buy an 05 bose HU installed it in my 04, get some sort of convertor to rig the speakers/sub/amps up to the hu, and be good to go?

Also what sort of box do I need to active the Sat radio? Do I need something from the dealer, or can I Just buy one of those tuners from xm designed for hus with sat function built in?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2005, 11:41 AM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too, wanted to cheap it out and upgrade just enough components to make it sound acceptable but i ended up requiring more and more to please my ear.

i dont know how much '05 stock HU's are but if it is anywhere around 50$, its not worth doing this because you need to buy a 149$ line-out convertor (like audiolink pd4). So that totals to about 200$. You might as well go buy an aftermarket HU and power your new speakers with the internal amp. that way you dont need to buy an external 4ch amp.

[aside: buying new speakers will make your audio sound lil better for sure, but when i did this, i found the BOSE amp (and/or BOSE HU) seems to be really messsing around with EQing and stupid Mic audiopilot (even with the 20cent fix occasionally!). So you will NOT get optimal sound for the money you spent on the speakers. ]

what i plan on doing now that i've already replaced all of my spkrs, is buy a HU and power the 4 speakers from the new HU (50wattx4). then buying a cheap solution like infinity basslink (200$ on ebay) and then "be good to go".
Old 06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
350zQ45a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap.

I guess it would be lame considering I purchased some nice audio gear. I'm worried about the montior being jacked, and I really don't want to spend the money on the required aftermarket security system either

I have so far:

Nakamichi 6 1/2 components for the front
Nakamichi 6 1/2 speakers for the rear
Nakamichi 10 inch sub
Nakamichi PA2002 2 channel amp for the front components

I need an amp for the sub and the rear speakers, unless I get an aftermarket HU then I will use that to power the rears.

I guess it's stupid to buy nice audio gear then run it through a convertor to a bose HU, even though it would increase the theft deterence with its OEM look.

I could cheap out and buy a decent single din player, but I don't like the gap it looks. I really want the Kenwood Excelon double din monitor, it looks great and fills the gap perfectly in the Z

So the consensus is: Even if all my speakers & sub are powered by their own individual amps, the bose HU will still handicap the sound?