Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

questions about sat radio *need help*

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
JFAIR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about sat radio *need help*

i've been looking to get sirius (not xm) in my 350 and wanted to know how the one from the factory works. does it run through the fm tuner like the after market ones or do you control it directly from the oem head unit? second, if it runs through the head unit without an additional reciever box or controller then is there one i can purchase that isn't $350.00? i'm sure there has been a thread about this so if any of you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great. thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
nissan350zfan

If you search for "SAT" and "OEM" in all forums you will find the threads that deal with this topic in detail.

The OEM sirius receiver does not use an FM modulator - instead it plugs directly into a "prewire harness" that should already be installed running from the back of the hatch area and connecting to the back of the Bose Head unit. Only the Bose head units with a "RADIO" button will control the SAT receiver. Pressing this button cycles through the different radio function such as FM - AM and Sat radio. The SAT radio option will not show as an option until the Receiver is installed - then it will show SR1 and SR2 as radio options along with AM and FM. This will give you a total of 12 presets for SAT radio.

The Head unit will display the Channel #. channel name, artist, and song title in seqence on a one line display as you push the display button. You can lock one of the displays as the permenant disply by holding the display button when the desired display is shown. For example, I usually have mine set to show the channel name and if I want to see any other info I have to press the display button to get it to display.

I have installed the OEM unit in my '05 Roadster and it works great - the direct wiring provides almost CD quality sound and is much better quality audio than that obtained with an FM modulator.

And no, there is no way to get this setup without spending the bucks on a Receiver.

As an alternative to the OEM receiver you might try another brand and use a PAC interface to wire it directly to the Bose Head unit. Once again do a search and you will find posts by people that have done this successfully. I have no direct knowledge of the PAC units so I cannot offer any help on that topic.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 AM
JFAIR

thanks for the info.