Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Zenclosure ebay box response figures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 01:52 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Paul. This is quite the help! I really liked your Amp mount from the other post. Needless to say, you might get a "few" PMs when it's time for me to do my install.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stereoneeds
noob question here, but are all of these figures with the box being sealed? anyone recommend porting the box at all?
I don't even want to think about porting these guys. Porting is used to boost frequency response ... that isn't needed here ... trust me. I've got the gains way down on mine.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

one more ?- what would the differences be between having the chambers seperated or not?
Yes - big difference - in the wrong direction. If you use one speaker you'll also get a different sound too. The system isn't just add/subtract/divide ... there's some science involved. You could do a different driver set but then you'll have to find ones designed for a .75/2 sized box.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:00 AM
shortbus1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, Im getting that Zenclosure box for a single 10. I have a Boston 10" GS1000 sub...it's the Generator series. Do you think it would be best to add poly or no?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:35 AM
stereoneeds

i was saying that if i am going with 2 subs, i would want the 2 chambers seperated, correct?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

i was saying that if i am going with 2 subs, i would want the 2 chambers seperated, correct?
No not needed. The two woofers will work in phase and actually work together differently then if they were in two seperate boxes. Splitting the box volume in half isn't the same as adding two woofers into the same size box.

Woofers use the trapped air as a spring - a resistance to hold them from compressing too much - and expanding outwards too much. Too little air means that the air "Spring" is too tight which tends to prevent the woofer from working correctly.

The same formulas can be worked with one or more woofers taking into account the extra moving parts. The pair of Infinity Kappa 10.0 were a wonderful match for the Zenclosure ... not so with just one.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by shortbus1981
Paul, Im getting that Zenclosure box for a single 10. I have a Boston 10" GS1000 sub...it's the Generator series. Do you think it would be best to add poly or no?
I looked at their web site and can't find a GS1000 - is that an older/newer one that's not on the web? If you can shoot me the Thiel-Small parameters I can run the formulas.

Boston
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 AM
orangeboy

Boston GS1000 sub specs are...

Fs = 33Hz

Vas = 37 liters / 1.31 Ft3

Qts = 0.66
Old 10-13-2005, 11:20 AM
shortbus1981

Originally Posted by orangeboy
Boston GS1000 sub specs are...

Fs = 33Hz

Vas = 37 liters / 1.31 Ft3

Qts = 0.66

Thanks man!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by shortbus1981
Thanks man!
Qtc = 1.1
F3 = 42 Hz

Pretty good match - about 1 dB too much bass. Throw some pollywool in there and the speaker will sound even flatter. If you want more bass add a small wooden block (or more) to adjust the sound to your liking.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 PM
THE TECH

Well I've either read this post all wrong, or what I thought I knew all these years just went out the window.

Please correct me...The ZEnclosures box is about .75cuft. Now this number doesn't change whether you are using one woofer or two. Now are you saying that if one of my woofers requires .60cuft that I can put two in this .75cuft box and they will work correctly?????? I was under the impression that each woofer needed .60cuft which means the box would need to have a minimum internal volume of 1.2cuft not taking into account the displacement of the woofer itself.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

I'm using the Java calculator from carstero.com for my work. You do get different numbers when enter in different numbers of subwoofer drivers. I haven't opened the Java code to make sure that they've coded the formulas correctly ... I don't do code and I hung up my sliderule/calculator and graph paper once computer programs became available to do the grunt work.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=26

Here's the formulas that you can work yourself if you don't want to use the java script calculator - the source is the same for both so I'm figuring that the guy got it correct. My audio libary is at home and can dust off books to see if the second order speaker equasion is correct here at least:

Alpha= (Qtc / Qts)2 - 1
Vb = Vas / Alpha
Fc = (Qtc x Fs) / Qts

I see where I went wrong - if you take a box perfect for one woofer and stick another woofer into it then the box is now far from perfect. Doubling the the size of the speaker vox volume would work or changing to a different woofer will work. So splitting the 0.75 in half for a 0.37 volume will work as long as you find a subwoofer that's happy with juar 0.37 cu.ft. This is why the calculator is asking for the number of woofers - how many woofer's worth of space is needed for the Vas.

Last edited by Paul350Z; 11-03-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I'm using the Java calculator from carstero.com for my work. You do get different numbers when enter in different numbers of subwoofer drivers. I haven't opened the Java code to make sure that they've coded the formulas correctly ... I don't do code and I hung up my sliderule/calculator and graph paper once computer programs became available to do the grunt work.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=26

Here's the formulas that you can work yourself if you don't want to use the java script calculator - the source is the same for both so I'm figuring that the guy got it correct. My audio libary is at home and can dust off books to see if the second order speaker equasion is correct here at least:

Alpha= (Qtc / Qts)2 - 1
Vb = Vas / Alpha
Fc = (Qtc x Fs) / Qts

Two woofer's in phase pushing back or pulling forward on the same volume of air are going to interact with each other across that internal trapped volume. Like the odd isobaric subwoofer designs where there is a trapped volume between two woofers put face-to-face and wired out of phase in a push-pull arrangement the two woofers work together or against each other. Adding ports or passive radiators requires a different formula as well but plain old second order speaker design has fewer moving parts and most often results in a good sound for the effort.
Wow, I'm way too simple to get all that jargon and info.

I noticed that you used the Infinity subs but were originally leaning toward the JL 10w6v2. What made you choose the one over the other?? Also, can you explain to me in more laymen terms how the Zenclosures box with its .75cuft internal volume works ok for two woofers that require .60cuft each to sound their best. Or, are you sacrificing sound and volume cause the box is smaller??

Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
No not needed. The two woofers will work in phase and actually work together differently then if they were in two seperate boxes. Splitting the box volume in half isn't the same as adding two woofers into the same size box.
That first part is not accurate if the two woofers were properly sized for the double sized box they ought to be (almost) properly sized for the two smaller boxes (minus the volume of the divider wood). In practice I haven't seen dual woofer home speakers with seperate enclosures for each woofer - and that's what led me to believe incorrectly that there would be an audio difference. No audio difference - just a cost one.

Woofers use the trapped air as a spring - a resistance to hold them from compressing too much - and expanding outwards too much. Too little air means that the air "Spring" is too tight which tends to prevent the woofer from working correctly.

The same formulas can be worked with one or more woofers taking into account the extra moving parts. The pair of Infinity Kappa 10.0 were a wonderful match for the Zenclosure ... not so with just one.
True as the java calculator is taking the volume of air times the number of drivers to get the final output number for volume size. If you want you could split the cabinet in half with a chunk of wood. It will have no audio effect but will drive up the cost/difficulty/weight of manufacuring the speaker. If you run the calculations and find that the speaker needs 0.75 cu.ft. to sound good adding a second speaker to that same volume is a bad thing - the same is true if two subwoofers match the volume you can not drop down to one speaker.

Thanks for the catch THE TECH!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 PM
delphiexec

I was thinking of purchasing the Single 10" Driver version of the Zenclosures Sub Box. I was planning on using a single Eclipse Titanium 10" with a mounting depth of about 7.5". Has anyone tried this sub before in this enclosure to see if it will fit, or if the MDF will actually support the weight of the sub well. If I had to I was going to just use a MDF spacing ring to move it out as this is only a temporary solution until I learn how to work with fiberglass.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Delphiexec
'05 Silverstone M/T 350Z