Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

built my own sub box!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 PM
03_Track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built my own sub box!

Sub box built!

Started this morning, finished this evening.

Cost :

4 X 8 X 3/4 MDF Board - $18
Wood Caulking - $5
Spray Foam Sealant - $5
Carpet - $8

TOTAL : $36 and one day's work.

I used cardboard cutouts to get the right shapes, then just traced them onto the board, cut out, and put together. It fits BEAUTIFULLY. The rear mid-range speakers are going to be replaced tomorrow by the matching alpine type-s aluminum speakers, and that is just going to bring it all together. The front components will also be alpine type-s, so it will all flow together nicely. Ill put pics with speakers up as soon as its done. For now, enjoy these.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/z_climber/system_2.html

Thanks very much james840a for the inspiration.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
03_Track_Z

I took those pics RIGHT after I dropped the box in so the interior is filthy, and it was at night. I'll replace those with better, cleaner pics tomorrow, but you get the idea...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 PM
03znj
Know it all

Sweet did you do a how to? i would love to try this!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 PM
03_Track_Z

well I'll type up somewhat of a how-to for ya right now.

Tools needed :

Rotozip or something like it to cut out shapes from mdf board
I used wood caulking AND spray foam sealant for the box
lots of cardboard, and scissors to cut it with
measuring tape
a pencil

that's all I used, now for the directions

Cut out a conservative (bigger) estimate of the rear hatch area in cardboard, for the top panel. Try to fit it in the hole. Cut again where necessary. Repeat a million times with 4 or 5 sheets of cardboard until you have a perfect fit.

For the bottom panel of the sub box I just used a rectangular peice of mdf board, and you can adjust the length of it to fit your sub requirements, it will only be able to be 50 inches long, and mine was 7.25 wide.

The same follows for the back and front panels.

The side panels are sort of trapezoidal, and to find them I laid in the front, rear, and bottom panels in place, then used the cardboard cutout method to get their shapes.

After you have cut out all 6 panels, make sure to leave holes for the wires and cut out the holes for your woofers. Then carpet the rear and top panels.

Then what I did is I laid in all the panels but the top one in place, and used the wood caulking to seal them together. I didn't use any screws in this setup because the fit was so tight and perfect that the sealent will suffice to keep it together. Once the sealant dried, I put the top panel in place and reached inside the sub holes to caulk that and seal it.

Then just screw in your subs and enjoy. I think I covered the basics in this, if you have questions ask away.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 PM
B-Unit

Nice job. COuld you do me a huge time saver, and send the dimensions for the box to me. IM building an amp rack right where your sub box is, and i need the dimensions to make a cover right where that front part of your box is that cover that back gap.

Thanx

-B-
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 PM
03znj
Know it all

I know nothing about car audio or builiding anything. This is gonna be my first DIY project and it should be fun. Do you have any pics of the back of the box? like a pic looking from outside of the hatch in?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 PM
03_Track_Z

I would but the problem is that it is curved on the sides, and not in a circular or elliptical shape. Its really weird and there is no way to quantify it to give you dimensions. The only number that I measured on the top panel is the 50 inches that the bottom of it will be, but after that it is all curved and weird. I know its annoying, but it doesnt take more than an hour to get the right cardboard cutout.

And this was my first DIY project too. I do have one pic of the back but it is really blurry and dark. I'll put another one on there tomorrow when I can get some daylight.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 PM
03znj
Know it all

The side panels are sort of trapezoidal, and to find them I laid in the front, rear, and bottom panels in place, then used the cardboard cutout method to get their shapes.

After you have cut out all 6 panels, make sure to leave holes for the wires and cut out the holes for your woofers. Then carpet the rear and top panels.

You lost me there! lol sorry if im being a pain
Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job, really good work!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:35 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Nice job. COuld you do me a huge time saver, and send the dimensions for the box to me. IM building an amp rack right where your sub box is, and i need the dimensions to make a cover right where that front part of your box is that cover that back gap.

Thanx

-B-

im actually doing the exact same thing using this type of box for an amp rack. I used the dimensions and drawing from this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/127513-pics-of-my-new-sub-box.html

im almost done with mine ill post pics when i get it all finished up.

03_Track_Z where did you get the carpet for your box and does it match the factory carpet well?

box looks awesome very clean
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
03_Track_Z

I got the carpet at Lowes and it matches VERY well, it was 72 cents per sq. foot and I got 8 bucks worth in case I messed up.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 PM
momo 350z

looks pretty good man,,i also got the dim for my sub box idea from that same thread,,i believe he also posted a pic with measurements and specs also..