jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup I meant

Yes Laser sensitivity.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:10 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea for radar placement!
But for remote unit... I bet you can't eve see it with your periferal vision? I think you are being a little bit too paranoid about cars behind. Hatch window in Z so small, you can sure find another place on dashboard where you can actually SEE it
Old 12-13-2002, 07:20 AM
jelledge

Default Vision

Actaully I was more worried about cops seeing it then anything.

As far as seeing the remote unit - I can see it just fine with my peripherial vision. The dash and carpet are all dark so when the remote display lights up it catches my eye real easy.

Maybe my vision is keener then some. I am used to using my peripherial vision alot for playing in sports, paintball, driving, and other activities where you need to see around you all the time.

In any case you can put the remote display anywhere you want. Works good for me where it is at.

Cheers

Old 01-26-2003, 10:26 PM
daytona350z

i know its a old thread, but i just have one small favor to ask.

could you please take some pics of the rear with the tailgate closed?
i really like this install!! how are you liking it so far, since it has been about a month and a half?

thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 05:48 AM
jelledge

Default Pictures

Sure, I can do that for you. It is really hard to see anything though because of the slope of the rear window the reflections the camera gets are pretty extreme.

So far I just love the mounting position. I have had no problems and feel safe about leaving it in the car without thieves seeing a $400 item in the windshield.

Ja
Old 01-28-2003, 03:59 PM
daytona350z

Default Re: Pictures

Originally posted by jelledge
Sure, I can do that for you. It is really hard to see anything though because of the slope of the rear window the reflections the camera gets are pretty extreme.

So far I just love the mounting position. I have had no problems and feel safe about leaving it in the car without thieves seeing a $400 item in the windshield.

Ja
thanks!!
i was pulled over last friday, and i am ordering a valentine one detector, and i really like your setup!
Old 05-06-2003, 03:12 PM
meatwad79

never thought of this. ive had my v1 for about 10 months now, and NEVER used it!!!! mainly because i couldnt find a convenient way to do so. the z demands alot of chord length for the location of the outlet, and i dont feel like hiding it everytime i stop.
how much is a remote unit?? i miht consider that if its not too bad.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:19 PM
jelledge

Default Remote Unit

The remote unit is $40 from Valentine 1.
Comes with all the goodies you will need also.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:34 PM
LeMansZCa

This is a great idea! I just clipped it in and have the remote in the nav compartment. Seems to work great! I can also hide it when i park. Do you guys worried about break in if you leave the unit in your car when parking????
Old 05-06-2003, 03:42 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by meatwad79
never thought of this. ive had my v1 for about 10 months now, and NEVER used it!!!! mainly because i couldnt find a convenient way to do so. the z demands alot of chord length for the location of the outlet, and i dont feel like hiding it everytime i stop.
how much is a remote unit?? i miht consider that if its not too bad.
if you dont plan on using it, i am looking to buy one
im in huntington beach also, how do you like it compared to detroit?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:15 AM
kman

Thumbs up cool setup

good job daytona350Z! I know that you don't have the side curtain airbags, so this question is for anyone else out there:

Is it possible to do this setup with the side curtain airbags?

Having had my previous car broken into and the radar detector ganked, I really need a stealth setup like this so I don't have to keep taking it down. My worry is that the side airbags might prevent this install.

Any insight is appreciated!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Ralphus

Does a radar detector work through really dark tint? I plan on limo tinting the back windows.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:30 AM
jelledge

Default Window Tinting

Yes the radar detector will work through window tint so long as it is not metalized (which is needed anyway if you have tire pressure sensors).

There are some very good non-metalized window tints on the market these days as opposed to 10 years ago when they sucked bad.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:22 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radar OK, not laser

Originally posted by Ralphus
Does a radar detector work through really dark tint? I plan on limo tinting the back windows.
As already mentioned, the radar detection will work as long as the tint is non-metallic.

However, the laser detector will not work as well through dark tint. It needs to "see" the laser light.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:56 PM
little_rod

How can you tell if your tint is metalized???

Anyway, I am still weighing if I want the V1 or not. IMO, it is the best on the market, but with alot of cops using laser and just using it instantly, I have my doubts as to how effective the detector would be.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:03 PM
jelledge

Default Metalized Film

Well you would have to ask the installer or shop you buy it from. You could also get the manufacturers info on the film and look it up on the web.

As for buying a V1 or any detector. Yeah I agree that the lasers suck. But if you use strategy it works ok. For example knowing that the lasers are instant on....never speed down a road by yourself where you have no screening cars in front of you. Most cops will laser cars in front of you and thus set off the detector. Same goes for instant on radar.

IMHO, the laser and instant on defense is not that good in the city so I keep my speed down. However on the freeways or long trips it can be quite good. Just always be sure that there is someone a good ways in front of you so you can get warning if there is a cop up ahead.

I frankly don't speed very much, but I do like to know if cops are around and gunning people so I can mind my P's & Q's while in their sight. And then on long drives it is quite good when you get out of city limits.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:29 PM
little_rod

Well, I do speed, so it does make a big difference for me, heh.

I had another detector and used the strategy that you suggest, but after some time, I used the strategy and never really paid any attention to the detector anymore, lol. It is almost funny, cause when you know you are speeding with noone ahead of you, the longer of a trip you are on, the more of a train of vehicles you get.

I used to swear by detectors, but now it is getting hard for me to justify the cost of one, even though I speed quite a bit. I have seen a lot of guys say that the detector has saved them from alot of tickets, but I have to wonder if some of those potential tickets could be avoided by using this strategy.

One thing is for sure, if I am a cop, and I sit in one place for a while, I can tell who is speeding as they come up. So I don't waste getting detected by a detector on cars that I know aren't speeding, I only use my radar on speeding cars. This kind of instant on is the smartest thing for a cop, and makes a detector useless. But hopefully cops aren't that smart, lol.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:53 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Any word on the bracket yet. I'm still waiting on it to do the stealth install.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Marcus Gronholm

Originally posted by Ralphus
I suggest that you call Valentine at 1-800-331-3030 and ask them specifically about tinted windows and reduced radar/laser detection sensitivity. I have spoken with a few reps at Valentine and they all said that the 2" band of tint at the top of most car's windshields was a factor in designing the windshield mounting bracket for the V1.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:14 AM
little_rod

Bumping this only cause I will probably be doing this setup this week.

Quick Reply: Stealth Installation of Valentine 1