Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Image Dynamics CD1 horn installation help! NEWB=me

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 AM
shadoh6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Image Dynamics CD1 horn installation help! NEWB=me

I did a search for anybody with Image Dynamics horns installed, but couldn't find anybody, so I was wondering if anybody knew enough about these to give some advice on how to mount them and install them in a Z. I was also wondering if it were possible to temporarily install them with the factory audio set up since I have no extra money to spend on a head unit. Thanks in advance!

http://imagedynamicsusa.com/graphics/product/cd1pro.jpg
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadoh6
I did a search for anybody with Image Dynamics horns installed, but couldn't find anybody, so I was wondering if anybody knew enough about these to give some advice on how to mount them and install them in a Z. I was also wondering if it were possible to temporarily install them with the factory audio set up since I have no extra money to spend on a head unit. Thanks in advance!

http://imagedynamicsusa.com/graphics/product/cd1pro.jpg
Your in for some awesome SQ if you can get them tuned correctly.

You want to moun these as far back under the dash as possible and as separate as possible with the driver being in the outside corners under the dash. (Some folks cut the firwall to mount them even further back)

You are going to want a good EQ for them, ruling out the factory HU. Not saying it wont work, but it will sound like a turd. They have a very sharp top end that usually needs to be tamed.

You are also going to need a strong midbass driver in the doors, ID should be able to supply you a pair. Also look at matching everything up with a nice IDMax Sub.

Be sure to power them appropriatly with a quality amplifier, Look at Xtant, Arc, Alpine and MB Quart for starters (There are other quality peices out there). Just be sure to match the RMS output of the Amp as close to the RMS of the Driver as possibly.

Finally, If you decide you dont like them, I will take them off of you for a fair price.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM
sq40

In a Nut shell you are in for a Very Expensive Install if you want good results. Horns are a very high end item and require high end equipment to back them up.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to do more research if you intend to use these horns correctly.....they need the proper crossover points/slope, matched misbasses, and installation for them to sound nice.

I would find a shop to assist, horns and "budget" unfortunately don't work well together.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM
shadoh6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn it, there goes my hopes for saving some dough...well that means I'm in the market for a midrange (that's the same as midbass right?) speaker (I've heard good things about Infinity References but otherwise...), amp (the only brand I knew a lot about back in the day was Phoenix Gold), and is it possible to have a separate EQ or should I just replace the HU?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:19 AM
sq40

Originally Posted by shadoh6
Darn it, there goes my hopes for saving some dough...well that means I'm in the market for a midrange (that's the same as midbass right?) speaker (I've heard good things about Infinity References but otherwise...), amp (the only brand I knew a lot about back in the day was Phoenix Gold), and is it possible to have a separate EQ or should I just replace the HU?

If you are still going with horns, I would match all of the drivers up in the system by going with all ID stuff. Infinity does not make a great midrange/midbass that will do those horns justice. If you are not buying an ID Mid, Look at MB Quart Q Series Midbass Kits, Focal Utopia Midbasses or something from the top end from Seas.

Amps again will run you several hundred to over a thousand dollars, Look at Alpine, Xtant, Arc or Zapco there. The trick is to match up the RMS wattage of the Amp to the Speaker. You are going to want One Channel for each driver in the sytem so you can individually EQ and Xover them. So one for each horn, one for each midrange, one for each rear and one for each sub. (This is called Active Cross Over Scheming)

As for EQs, Audiocontrol will be able to assist you with the right crossover and EQ for your system. Look at there Digital Line.

Head Units are equally subjective, Look at Alpine or Eclipse for something nice.

A Full on Horn install will set you back 3-5K my friend.

If you don't have that kind of cash, dont start. Granted you may want to buy peace by peice untill you have everything you need, but if you are here asking, you probably don't have the experience/knowledge to make it happen as a DIY project my friend.

If I were you I would buy a nice set of 6.5" components, a Good Head unit, Sub and amp for 1,500-2K and call it a day.

Last edited by sq40; 08-20-2005 at 06:24 AM.