has been beaten to death. I'm just about to order a Z,
and I want to know what's the fuss about Bose? Is there
some seriously wrong with the sound system? Can it be
fixed fine? Thanks.
Eric
Old 12-14-2002, 08:37 AM
k2we

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eric, The touring model with the Bose had several problems (too much mushy bass, volume going up & down etc...) which were 95% corrected with the replacement of the amplifier. If you order a car now, you should get one with the improved amp. Check the other threads on the Bose fix for more info. I had mine replaced and I'm 100% satisfied with the radio.

Good Luck

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 12-15-2002, 01:28 PM
N74DV

many guys (myself included) have had the amp replaced only to find the treble and bass controls do almost nothing.

I have contacted Bose and Nissan and both agree and officially are saying that there are STILL issues with the Bose system. They are working on a fix.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Deb

I don't want to oversimplify anything ... I just know that amps, for the most part, simply amplify the signal they receive from the source/preamp. Frequency adjustments are usually made at the preamp level ... so, my question is, if the amp is replaced and the bass and treble stop working, isn't it more likely a problem with the wiring when they replaced the amp?

D's other 1/2
Old 12-15-2002, 02:16 PM
N74DV

well... it isn't that simple. The amp and head unit both work in unison with the Audio Pilot auto volume system the Bose is so notorious for.

Audio Pilot system is what the amp TSB was all about... it was overboosting bass. Somehow the new amp has again screwed with the Audio Pilot system or someother integrated system in the head unit cause the tone controls are not nearly as effective.

Also.. the new amp was a simple process to replace. No wiring needed. It was unplugged and the new one plugged in.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:52 PM
buzzdsm

Default weird

I thinks it strang that the Bose is bad in the 350z usually Bose does pretty well in cars. Their home audio sucks though.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:49 PM
InternetABYSS

I got the amp replacement and still going after market. The bose amp is currently being used as a crossover for the base. im gonna try removing the bose amp all together and going with a my audio control x over.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:42 AM
Deb

Originally posted by N74DV
well... it isn't that simple. The amp and head unit both work in unison with the Audio Pilot auto volume system the Bose is so notorious for.

Audio Pilot system is what the amp TSB was all about... it was overboosting bass. Somehow the new amp has again screwed with the Audio Pilot system or someother integrated system in the head unit cause the tone controls are not nearly as effective.

Also.. the new amp was a simple process to replace. No wiring needed. It was unplugged and the new one plugged in.
Thanks for that info. My wife's PPW Touring is coming in soon but she did not order the Audio Pilot - hopefully that will make a difference! This whole mess makes me long for my old SS396 Chevy - fix anything with a few simple tools - and stereos were simple (except for going from a four track to an eight track ... I wonder how many of these guys will understand that?)
Old 12-20-2002, 08:58 AM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

All Touring models come with the upgraded Bose system.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:05 PM
tbob

The AudioPilot is part of the Bose system that is standard on all Touring models. Since your getting the car now it should have the upgraded amp. Most of the newer buyers seem happier with the system.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Deb

Originally posted by tbob
The AudioPilot is part of the Bose system that is standard on all Touring models. Since your getting the car now it should have the upgraded amp. Most of the newer buyers seem happier with the system.
Thanks. I should probably pay more attention to what my wife orders on cars, huh? I assumed the AudioPilot was a feature of the optional nav system .... damn assumptions. Oh well, her car is supposed to be here mid-January. Hopefully she will have one of those cars that don't have all the problems.

D's other 1/2
Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Leon's Z

Default Bose Problems

My BOSE problems include the radio not coming on for quite a while after starting. (15 - 120 minutes) Don't know the origin or cause, just know that the dealer has a new amp on order. Not happy to say the least.