Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Custom V1 remote display install

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Zaphod 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom V1 remote display install

I've had a difficult time finding a good spot for the remote display for the V1. Someplace where my eyes don't have to move too far from looking forward, and someplace where the button was easily accessible. I tried sticking it on the dash under the right drivers vent. It was ok, but my hands blocked the bogey counter. Then I got an idea.

I pulled the shifter trim and removed the climate control console. I inspected what was behind it. There is a nice space just above the shifter where there would be nothing to block the display. I unscrewed the shifter bezel, cause i COULD NOT figure out to take off the shift ****, and removed the climate control. I measured out the v1 display and marked it on the back of the console trim right above the shift bezel. Broke out the old dremel tool and cut the rectangle in the console. I did some tweaking to get the unit to fit snug. I used black silicone to seal it against the console. I bought some black pinstripe tape, cut it to shape with 45 degree corners to make a border around the unit. I think that neatened it up quite a bit. I'm going to check out my friend's body shop to see if i can find some brushed aluminum trim so that it will really match.

I ran the wire from the junction box behind the fuse block kick panel, up underneath the steering column. The wire is easily fed under the sides of the console and into the climate control opening. you can then tuck the wire back and up behind the drivers kick panel.

The final product looks very neat. The display is very viewable and easily accessed for muting. The shifter does not block the read out, unless you have your hand on the shifter. But you should never be resting your hand on the shifter anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will post pics as soon as I take them.