Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Newbie Sub and Navigation Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
lakez34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Sub and Navigation Installation Questions

Hello all,

I'm a new 2004 350z touring owner, and I'm trying to figure out a way to do a couple of things.

I want to have a navigation system installed in the upper compartment of the car, where the stock navi would have been. I've seen threads on here suggesting an Eclipse unit, or the Clarion NICE unit, but I'm being told by different installers that it won't fit in there. Has anybody installed one in these compartments before?

I'm interested in getting a subwoofer installed in the car. But, I don't want to lose trunk space, and I'm also unwilling to give up my spare tire area. Are there any suggestions for some type of system that I could install to replace the existing stock "sub" and amp? I know I'll lose the complete potential of the system, and it may be somewhat unbalanced to put one there, but if anybody's done this, your suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, sorry in advance if these newbie questions have been asked before, but I didn't see anything in the threads that I searched through. Feel free to link me to those threads if they already exist. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
jeffa

Can't go to the sub issue, since mine are in a box in the floor of the hatch area.

However, I can tell you that a Clarion NICE unit will fit where the factory navi screen would be. It will require a lot of cutting behind the dash, and the nav door will not close after the NICE is installed. I speak from experience, cause that is where I mounted mine. The NICE is a killer unit, works great for Nav, has 10 gigs of hard drive space for MP3/WMA files, has a AV input, line outputs as well as FM transmitter output, and will control a Sirius Satellite receiver black box.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
lakez34

Thanks! I noticed that the NICE doesn't have a DVD for maps. Is there a way to update maps/points of itnerest on the unit? I haven't read too much about it, and the people at the shop were unsure when I was asking them.

Also, anybody else have any suggestions about the sub?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:12 PM
2slow4me1990

take a look at the jl audio stealth box. it's a box that comes with 2 jl audio 10's (not sure which ones) and the box barely takes up any room in your trunk.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Dream

Originally Posted by 2slow4me1990
take a look at the jl audio stealth box. it's a box that comes with 2 jl audio 10's (not sure which ones) and the box barely takes up any room in your trunk.
Comes with 2 10w3s. Dunno what it sounds like, but the few owners who posted here didn't have any complaints IIRC.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM
2slow4me1990

i heard the sounds was great for the little area it takes and the price? i havent heard any complaints either.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
jeffa

To update the NICE map information on the hard drive, there will be DVD-ROM map disc available later for updating the map info on the hard drive. You would load the DVD into your computer, and connect NICE to the computer with a USB 1.1 cable. After the USB is recognized, NICE will ask if you want to upgrade the map information. Press yes on the screen of the NICE, and it will find the DVD drive on your computer, then download and update the information in the NICE unit's hard drive.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will like the corner Magicbox for your needs.

http://www.wickedcas.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_24
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
lakez34

Thanks for the information about the JL Audio Stealth Box. My only problem with that is from the pictures that I see of that on this forum, it seems to take up some of the trunk space next to the Strut bar (in between the panel behind the seats and the bar). Am I seeing the wrong thing, or does it actually take up some space? My biggest concern is taking up space. I know it's a sports car not meant for storage, but I'd still like to move some things around when I need to.

Nazar, that's definitely something I'm interested in. Do they sell those at other stores, or is that something specifically made at the link you sent? I didn't seem to come across other stores selling similar enclosures, but if so, that would be great.

Related to the sub, I have a question about what type of amp I would need. I want to keep the factory head unit, which I realize means that I'd better have a good amp to power the system, but I'm not entirely sure how all of that works. Could somebody point me to a link, or something, that discusses this? Or, briefly describe to me what type of amp I would need. Again, I'm not looking for deafening bass, but just enough to get a good deep sound going with the music.

Jeffa, Thanks for the info about the NICE. At this time, I think I'm planning on spending money towards a sound system first, but I am still looking into Navigation units if I can find good deals. The NICE was pretty reasonably priced, and it seems like the updating maps process isn't as complicated as I thought it would be. Hopefully I can spare some change and throw in one of thsoe in the car as well!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link I sent you is my website, If you need any of the enclosures call me. I can also help you with your other questions as well.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
NisAznMonk

If you are ever in the Houston, TX area go check out Innovative Rides. Aaron Davis built this one for a lady with a white 350z. The subwoofer is a Peerless XLS 10" in a 0.4ft³ sealed enclosure. The amps she used were from the Audison VRx line. That thing sounded NICE. Clean and it could hit it had a very nice low end extension. Could be an option for you?

Old 09-16-2005, 06:30 AM
lakez34

Thanks Nazar and NisAznMonk. Both of those seem like very viable options for me. I'm going to look around a bit more before making a decision, but when I do, I'll probably end up getting a setup like the ones you guys have posted.

That sub enclsoure NisAznMonk has posted is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. It's a very clean install. The magicbox seems to be a pretty good choice too. Let me figure out what type of sub and amp I'm going to set up, and then I'll plan my budget accordingly.

I was reading some threads on here about the Infiniti basslink going in the stock location. Would this be a practical choice? It seems to be getting mixed reviews on the site. I know it's more a question of choice, but just thought I'd see what some of you guys think.

The reason I ask is I'd like to keep my system sub-$500, and both of the above solutions will probably go a bit over that range. The basslink I could probably buy and have installed for around $300. Again, I know the sound won't be as loud or possibly as deep as a custom installed enclosure in the hatch area, but I'm not looking to hurt anybody's ears. Just want something simple with some deeper bass than the stock.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if you currently have a sub in the stock location or not. But if you have a base or enth, you could get one of these:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

That seems like it would do the trick. Some people have stated that it rattles, so you could insulate it with foam. Also, you could put dynomat in the hole to try to eliminate some of the other rattles, and to help seal it up a little better.

Would something like this work?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
lakez34

I currently have a factory sub as a part of the 350z Touring Bose audio package. I think the part you showed is the actual factory plate if you were installing a free-air sub there, similar to the stock one so I don't think this will help me much.

I'm unsure of what actually fits in that compartment other than the Infiniti Basslink. For that matter, I also don't know the difference in types of subs, but I believe the basslink is an enclosed sub, providing a little better quality sound.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:48 PM
lakez34

I went to a local Circuit City today to ask them about the Basslink, and what they think about that. From what a couple of their sales reps told me, it seemed like they said something better could fit into the position.

One of the reps suggested putting in a regular 10 inch sub in the stock location, and an amp bolted under the seat or something. I read threads on here saying that a 10 back there wouldn't sound as good because it would be an open air, which I asked them about. They said it wouldn't be an open air, since it'd be enclosed the same way the current stock sub is enclosed. I'm unaware of how it currently is. Can somebody fill me in?