S-Video -> RCA Distortion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
solodesignz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Video -> RCA Distortion

Hi, I am trying to go from the s-video out on my computer
to rca plugs on my LCD (Farenheit T-7000MHR), but i recieve
some really bad distortion (colors messed up). This only occurs when viewing the screen from the right side. When I view from the front or from the left it looks just fine. Except the picture isnt as clear as I would hope. I think it might have to do with the s-video -> rca connector. I plugged a DVD player's rca video into it and it plays just fine w/o distortion.

Is there something I can do with software in order to send the correct signal over? Or can I buy a fancier adapter in order to get the correct image?

Alternatively, is there svideo to coaxial that will work?

TIA,
Tony
Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes.

I don't think so.

S-video is component video with separate r-Y and b-Y signals.

RCA video is composite video with one wire with color, luminance, and sync signals all on one very complicated NTSC signal.

Sounds more like the aperture mask of your screen isn't right and not lining up with the LED dots correctly (if that's even possible).

It sounds like you've already confirmed that the problem is in the cable as your RCA type DVD player looks good. Do you have a small television with S-video inputs you could connect the car's DVD player to?

Let me go eye-ball my 7000MHR screen from the passenger's side and see what I see ... never looked at it from there!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, it's you. My DVD player's video looks good from all sides. So what are you using to convert the S-video output of your DVD player to the -7000MHS's composite RCA input? That would be what I would suspect at this point - try connecting it to another TV/Monitor that has an RCA input and drive that interface with an S-Video signal.

Still I can't see what you could do to a video signal to make the screen look different from different angles ... and I'm suppose to be a "certified" Professional Broadcast Engineer!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:06 AM
solodesignz

Thanks...

I actually did some more tests, and a regular dvd player does the same thing to it, jsut alittle less intense.

I called the place I bought it from, they said to return it, but it was discoutjungle, and so far... their customer support is terrible, so I am scared soemthng is going to happend and I am going to get ripped off..

But thanks for the input, its probably the screen thats the problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
KPierson
Banned

I ran in to a problem a while back trying to conver the Svideo output of my laptop to an RCA signal usinga cheap, passive converter. I researched it on the internet and found that distorted colors are common place among cheap, passive converters.

It sounds like it may be the screen, but you may want to check out your converter as well! I ended up finding an Svideo conveter at Radio Shack for $29.99 I believe. I never had problems again after that. This was 2.5 years ago though, so who knows what they have now!