Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

summary: stock sub location - some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default summary: stock sub location - some Q's

I've just finished a painfully long search of threads on this topic, so i hope i didn't miss anything. I'd also like to summarize some experiences of others, and pose some questions if i may

It seems there is no arguing that the best location for subwoofers is in the trunk. However, like so many others before me, I am interested in the stock location for esthetic, stealth, and space reasons. This is nothing new.

The stock location has been used in free air/infinite baffle setups, dynamat "sealed", and fabricated sealed enclosures in that area. The latter seems to work the best. However, a large number of people who started in the stock location in any configuration have since moved to the trunk and almost universally state an improvement. Now my questions to those people...

1. is the improvement the "amount" of bass or the quality?
2. if it is the amount, can't that simply be compensated with more power, or two subs, one each of the stock cubby's?
3. if it is quality of the bass, what is the change in the quality? lower bass? is there a problem with directionality of the bass in the stock location? uncomfortable vibrations in back (is there such a thing ?)

My preference is towards accurate sound reproduction especially in the midbass frequencies and a tight punch for bass frequencies. My plans were for focal k2p components and focal kx27 11" sub, but am i wasting my money on this sub if i'm going to the stock location? I'm not looking for earth shattering bass or ultralow rumbles. Heck I'm even considering two focal 13ks "subs" in the 6.5 rear positions. Has anyone done that?

thanks
pp
Old 09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice summary, i really wish you could get some good good sound from behind the seats cuz that is what i would do. Putting a huge box in the back of my car doesnt really appease my wishes with the car. Might need to be done tho...
Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont get accurate bass from behind the seats man, its just not going to happen. This is the same reason you cant get accurate bass in a single cab S-10. Not enough room for a decent sized box. No imaging to bounce to frequencies from.

behind the seat applications with EVERY vehicle I have ever heard sound muffled, and boomy. Like a squashed turd.

Your best bet is to get a corner box install in the trunk from JL audio.

JL has 2 stealth box options, one under the strut bar and one in the corner of the trunk. If you want total stealth go with the corner box, a few people on this board have them and say they sound very good.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:10 AM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

b-unit: I agree that the weight of a big box in the back as well as space limitations are my primary reasons for not wanting to go to the rear.

tackett: I guess I was optimistic that someone had some success. I agree though that it looks more and more that your comment that "it ain't going to happen" is true. I just have to get over that.

I imagine that two "mini" 13kx subs, if you really want to call them subs, in the 6.5 spots would suffer the same problems. Or would they be high enough?

pp

Last edited by palepony; 09-26-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
350ztoronto

do they make custom boxes for the roadster??
Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 PM
tiesto81

Bumping this thread since I saw Tackett make mention of a JL Stealthbox for the rear corners. I'd love the option to have subs be stealth installed and not take up the space under the strut since I actually use that.

I checked out JL's site and don't see any stealth boxes for the Z that are in the rear corner - only the one under the strut. Am I missing something?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for Nazar's post....he does the corner sub.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
bimma78

Ok this is what I did. I got a Kicker solobaric 8" and built a .33 cubic foot box and installed it in the factory location. I know what you guys are thinking, but the 8" gives me plenty of bass with out takeing up alot of room. I put the amp in the cubby hole behind the passenger seat. If you guys are interested I can give you the dimensions of the box.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
tiesto81

Sweet - just came across that. Thanks! I'm just getting familiarizing myself with all this audio stuff.

Looks like they make the box only for one corner - guessing because of space limitations on the right side with the gas tank and all.

Can you get a really tight and relatively loud thump from one 10? I'm most interested in sound quality with some bass behind it, but don't want to sacrifice the loss of too much space. Figured that two corners would be perfect for this to house 2 8's or 10's, but since they only make the corner boxes for one corner, that seems out of the question. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 PM
lololepro

Bimma yeah I'll be making a box in the next weeks for the stock location in my roadster could you give me the dimensions of yours? Also, do you have any pics? Thanks...
Old 04-21-2006, 12:20 PM
bimma78

I try to get some pice up tomorrow as well as the dimensions.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a sub free air for a while in the stock location and then built a Fiberglass enclosure for the stock location. My Bass is MUCH louder/cleaner than before and on par with a trunk enclosure IMO.