Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

question about subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 02:57 PM
benchi445

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about subwoofers?

this is probly a dumb question,but if you put a single sub behind the drivers seat,would the bass be uneven between the passenger and drivers side?also where is there to put an amp without using any of the little storage sapce there already is?would it be hard to put it under the passenger seat?and the front speakers are 6.5 right?thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Sirrus

For the most part it would be uneven. You can minimize this by pointing it down or backwards and setting the low-pass crossover lower (the higher the frequency the easier you can tell where it's coming from). If you are not concerned with the passenger's listening enjoyment, you can definately make it work.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it is not going to be unbalanced. The sound produced by a sub is non-directional. Meaning, if you stood in the middle of a square room, you would not be able to tell what direction the sub was from you. What is more important, is what materials are around the sub that allow it to produce the best sound possible.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 AM
msaralino

Originally Posted by camaro194
No, it is not going to be unbalanced. The sound produced by a sub is non-directional. Meaning, if you stood in the middle of a square room, you would not be able to tell what direction the sub was from you. What is more important, is what materials are around the sub that allow it to produce the best sound possible.
I agree with your analysis but I'm not sure on the conclusion. You are absolutely correct I think with respect to if you were in the middle of a square room. But with the Z, I don't think you can ignore the fact that you've got the driver's seat sitting right in front of the subwoofer outlet. I suspect the driver's seat will act like a large absorber and absorb acoustic energy coming out of the woofer. The driver will likely feel it through his/her seat, but I suspect the passenger will not enjoy(?) the same response as the driver.

Just an overly technical comment by someone (me) who doesn't have a subwoofer set up and therefore is not qualified to comment in any way.

Mark
Old 10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes sense. I forgot about the drivers seat. It would make sense that the seat would absorb some of the sound (maybe not enough to notice). But, I do agree that the passenger will not "feel" as much of the sound as the driver will.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
NisAznMonk

Your seat will block some of the pressure from the subs, simply because its made out of leather. Leather deadens sound, period.

The acoustics of a square room is nothing like a Z. So the non-directional sond would normally not apply UNLESS a processor and lots of time tuning were involved.