Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

new sub recommendation please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM
95RedRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Image Dynamic IDQ D2 V.3

In a 10 inch Sub...is made specfically for SMALL AIRSPACE ENCLOSURES.

It's one of the Cheaper Subs on the market...but it gives a Clean Punchy Bass tone...I think an IDMAXX is overkill IMO...He's going for nice audio not Comptetion winning setups.

Whoever Said kicker was good should go Jump off a cliff...Anything you can buy at Circuit City or best buy Shouldn't be put in a Real Car Entusiats Car.

And If you Wanna pay more than you have to for JL...your either rich and don't care about wasting money or you like Name Brands.

Theres about 6 Audio Companys better than JL.

but what would I know I drive a DSM
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comon man, you have to give JL some credit, their equiment kicks ***, as well as their waranties and costomer service has always been (at least in my experiences) top notch. Its not to say that I havent heard better, but why the hate? I have NEVER been disapointed with anything I have bought by JL. I am neither rich, I don't think that a w6 or w7 or the evolution xr series componets are a waste either, nor do I care about name brands. I KNOW there are comperable speakers out there for the same price or a little cheaper, but it is by far not a waste of money.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:58 AM
G35audioman

Originally Posted by 95RedRS
Image Dynamic IDQ D2 V.3

In a 10 inch Sub...is made specfically for SMALL AIRSPACE ENCLOSURES.

It's one of the Cheaper Subs on the market...but it gives a Clean Punchy Bass tone...I think an IDMAXX is overkill IMO...He's going for nice audio not Comptetion winning setups.

Whoever Said kicker was good should go Jump off a cliff...Anything you can buy at Circuit City or best buy Shouldn't be put in a Real Car Entusiats Car.

And If you Wanna pay more than you have to for JL...your either rich and don't care about wasting money or you like Name Brands.

Theres about 6 Audio Companys better than JL.

but what would I know I drive a DSM
Having used several JL products over the years, I would have to disagree with you. They offer excellent equipment. Yes, they are more expensive than some of the other companies, but they are definitely not giving you a lesser product either.

With that said, I do feel that some other companies, such as ID, OZ, eD, RE, and Adire make better speakers for the money. However, no "real" car enthusiast can deny that JL audio still makes excellent equipment.

Keep in mind I have Used their amps, subs, and comps in the past, so I am making these claims since I have used a variety of their products.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
NisAznMonk

I've used everything JL has to offer. There are plenty of stuff that they make well (subs and amps) and other crap that sucks (XR components). But then agian that goes with alot of people now a days.

I went with a pair of Digital Designs DD3512s over a trio of JL 12w7s. The DDs were by far much louder, could handle more power, and play everything in my cd player very well. Its just my opinion, but I've been there and done that just like alot of you here. JL is great stuff, but there will always be better things out there. Just got to trust your ears and find the right installer.

click here for my truck

Sorry, just responding to the "JL for the win" posts

a DD won't work in 1cubic ft. A JLW3, Peerless XLS or ImageDynamics ID subwoofer would though

Last edited by NisAznMonk; 10-18-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
G35audioman

^^^Nice install.

I've never liked the w7's. Imo, they are overpriced for their performance. I prefer the IDmax's to them.

The DD are nice subs as well. Incriminator audio makes some excellent stuff.

Also, the NEW Cerwin Vega Stroker subs are excellent in both the SQ (yes SQ) as well as in the SPL department. They are huge and expensive though.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Tackett

I refuse to pay 5k for a subwoofer.

Though I saw that pricing a long while back.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 AM
G35audioman

A Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro sub is about $1000 for a 12"

A Cerwin Vega Stroker (not Pro) is about $350 for a 12"

The Pro is the one with excellent SQ. I have not yet listened to the regular stroker though.

Last edited by G35audioman; 10-19-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 AM
billet350

i recommand alpine type X with an alpine v12 amp.. i just bought that 2 days ago and will have it in my car in 2 weeks when i get pics ill post them up for u.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
vantage350z

MTX 9500 T9510-44 fits the airspace requirement perfect. would recomend a sealed enclosure. small sealed box needs a powerful amp..... you should be able to get one for under $300.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Originally Posted by G35audioman
Having used several JL products over the years, I would have to disagree with you. They offer excellent equipment. Yes, they are more expensive than some of the other companies, but they are definitely not giving you a lesser product either.

With that said, I do feel that some other companies, such as ID, OZ, eD, RE, and Adire make better speakers for the money. However, no "real" car enthusiast can deny that JL audio still makes excellent equipment.

Keep in mind I have Used their amps, subs, and comps in the past, so I am making these claims since I have used a variety of their products.
I've used JL for years (been into car stereos for like 15 years)- they pretty much do suck now a days. I'd go to Kicker or Memphis before JL and nither of those 2 I'd rush out and buy.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Tackett

Where the hell can you even buy a new stroker? Thats not bad pricing...and I love cerwin vega..at least I used to. They have let me down in the past few years.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
G35audioman

Originally Posted by Tackett
Where the hell can you even buy a new stroker? Thats not bad pricing...and I love cerwin vega..at least I used to. They have let me down in the past few years.
Check ebay.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
G35audioman

Originally Posted by LS350Z
I've used JL for years (been into car stereos for like 15 years)- they pretty much do suck now a days. I'd go to Kicker or Memphis before JL and nither of those 2 I'd rush out and buy.
Well, i'm more about SQ over SPL. I wouldn't touch Kicker or memphis for subs in terms of SQ.

For the record, the W6V2 and W7 have excellent SQ. No kicker or memphis sub can touch JL in that regard. However, there are many other subs that can out perform JL in SQ, so i'm not stating that they are the end all in performance, since that is by no means true. I'm simply stating that they do have their strengths also.

Now, for SPL, i agree that JL is not what they used to be. However, i commend the fact that they are focused more on balanced performance rather than focusing on just one aspect.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:11 AM
billet350

well there is one kicker that can out do JL in sq actually

its called the SoloX by kicker.....

and the w7 is also going to need a very deep box, thats why i will once again recommand the alpine type x, very affordable compared to w7 and tdx from diamond
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
G35audioman

A properly set up W7 will always outperform a soloX in SQ. The solo X is almost never seen in the SQ competition scene, and there is a reason for that. It simply lacks the accuracy of the w7 and the w6v2. To be honest, I prefer the w6v2 over the W7. Kicker makes decent equipment, but don't expect to win any SQ comps with them.

Also, the TDX is marketed (and performs) as more of an SPL driver. The M6mkII is the driver more comparable to the W6v2 and W7 in terms of SQ.

Now, I understand that my tastes probably differ from a lot of other people. However, these are simply my opinions on these products. I have experienced a lot of these products, mostly during sound competitions. Therefore, i am making these claims having heard these subs properly tuned for competition purposes.

For the record, I feel that my OZ audio matrix elite subs are among the top 3 best sq subs that i have ever heard or used in my life. Pretty strong claim for a sub that costs $230 retail for a 10".
Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 PM
TacoMadre

Here's my install

Old 10-21-2005, 05:23 AM
SkiTTlez

well after all this debate, i will probably get flamed because i went with a Fosgate T112D4 Power sub. why? i heard one in a guys honda that was in a similar type box and it was simply bangin. so i got a really great deal on one and it should be in today hopefully. i will post pics of install when i am finished. thanks for all the input fellas
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Tackett

Is that the stage 1 or stage 2? I dont have a problem with either of those subs. I have heard a few and both models sounded good. Just make really really sure that you get the box made and tuned to that specific speaker, properly, from someone who knows what they are doing. I am a firm beleiver in the fact that a subwoofer is only as good as the box it is in. I would put it in a big box and port it, but thats me. (Im not sure of the reccomended box size for that sub in ported, but I believe its over 2 feet.) I just like the way ported boxes sound over sealed ones, just my opinion and my taste, some guys may disagree with me.

good luck bro, let us see it when its done.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:30 AM
G35audioman

Nah. You won't get flamed. As long as it sounded good to you, then that's all that matters.

Don't worry about what anyone of us says here. Trust your ears and you'll be happy.

I used to have a pair of fosgates about 6 years ago. They are currently still being used by my friend in his car. I'm impressed by how much abuse they have withstood. 6 years later, they still sound like they did 6 years ago. Rockford hasn't been producing equipment as durable lately. However, they still make very good equipment, and have actually improved over the past 2 years.

In any case, enjoy your sub. I'm glad to hear that you trusted your ears and got what sounded good to you.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 AM
G35audioman

Originally Posted by Tackett
Is that the stage 1 or stage 2? I dont have a problem with either of those subs. I have heard a few and both models sounded good. Just make really really sure that you get the box made and tuned to that specific speaker, properly, from someone who knows what they are doing. I am a firm beleiver in the fact that a subwoofer is only as good as the box it is in. I would put it in a big box and port it, but thats me. (Im not sure of the reccomended box size for that sub in ported, but I believe its over 2 feet.) I just like the way ported boxes sound over sealed ones, just my opinion and my taste, some guys may disagree with me.

good luck bro, let us see it when its done.

Yup. Box is extremely important. If your box isn't properly suited for your sub, then you wont be happy.

Depending on the type of sound you are looking for, ported may be a good option.

Typically, ported gives you more low end frequency. Depending on the sub, SQ can decrease in a ported box, but then again, that depends on the sub.

A sealed box will give you a tighter, more SQ oriented sound typically. You will sacrafice some low end for the extra SQ though. Also, you may lose a few db's in this setup.

For your rockford, i'd probably go ported as well. It sounds like ported may suit your tastes better.

Quick Reply: new sub recommendation please!