Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Head Unit problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit problems...

Just when I think all of my stereo problems are over...
I have an Alpine IVA-D300. I came home from the mall with a pizza yesterday and my stereo is working fine. Few hours later I go get in my car, WTF, the stereo doesn't work. It's sunday and I figure I can't do anything about it. Today I took apart the whole thing and put it back together, for some reason, it worked? I'm not sure what I did but for some reason it worked. BUT, I go out to the garage tonight to put up the windows and what do ya' know, the damn thing doesn't turn on. The brain and the actual head unit are both getting power, all fuses are good, and the wiring looks sturdy too. Any ideas of what could possibly be going on? The stereo shop I purchased the unit from just closed down and the guy moved to North Carolina. :-/

I tried calling Alpine several times but I was on hold for about 15 mins, then all of a sudden I got a recording saying that they were closed! They friggin went to lunch while I was on hold!!

I'm completely confused right now, even if it's a warranty issue I don't know if they'll honor it or not since I can't find my reciept.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully there's a loose connection some where. Check for a good solid ground. Some of those in-line fuse holders use a spring to hold the contact against the fuse - make sure those things are there and still "springy". Check the cable between the brain and the head-end too, if that baby is loose it could cause things to cut out too.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cable between the brain and HU are firmly connected and the harness for power is also firmly attached to the head unit. If there's a loose connection it'd have to be between the stock wiring and the new wiring. I didn't install the head unit so I have no idea where what starts/ends or where it's routed. I removed the head from the dash again this morning before I went to school and to my surprise after putting it back in it worked. It's gotta be a loose wire somewhere...but I can't find out where. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the whole center stack off so I can really trace some of these wires and make sure they're all good.

One question though, the wiring diagram that came with my stereo shows the cable between the brain/hu and a harness with a black(ground), yellow(power), and orange(dimmer) wires...but the harness going into the back of my head in the dash has like 10 other wires and I can't figure out where they're going. Anyone know what these are for?