Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about XM antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Question about XM antenna

Need some advice from some of you guys that have installed this particular antenna........I currently have a Pioneer AVH-6600DVD HU. I just bought the XM satellite reciever GEX-P920XM that goes with it. The receiver interfaces with the HU via an IP-Bus cable. It is hardwired into the car's electrically system and has an external antenna. The antenna has about a 16 ft. cable and a small antenna at the end of it with a magnetic bottom. The manual says that if you mount the antenna inside the vehicle you will have poor reception, and therefore must mount it externally. My question is: Has anyone had any luck, along with good reception, mounting the antenna inside the vehicle? If so, where have you mounted it? If you guys haven't had luck with it inside the vehicle, where and how was the best method for running the cable from the inside of the vehicle to the outside?

Thanx.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 AM
arlingtonz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two places that I have heard people having good luck. I currently have my mounted right behind the Oil pressure gauge and it works well there. People have also put it in the rear strut bar, because it is plastic it will not interfere. Either place should work well in houston because you have relatively little hills (I am assuming). The outside mount is necesary in places where it is really hilly and wooded.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by arlingtonz
There are two places that I have heard people having good luck. I currently have my mounted right behind the Oil pressure gauge and it works well there. People have also put it in the rear strut bar, because it is plastic it will not interfere. Either place should work well in houston because you have relatively little hills (I am assuming). The outside mount is necesary in places where it is really hilly and wooded.
I've never heard on the "behind the pressure guage" mount, but it sounds unique. I'd imagine the direct access thru the windshield would give good reception. I have heard about the strut bar mount, although I'm not sure the plastic has anything to do with low interference due to it's composition. The manual only list a couple of interference causing problems: 1. crossing the antenna cable with itself or any other antenna cable. 2. running the antenna cable tandem to any other type of antenna cable(TV tuner or FM antenna).
That is a good observation about the landscape in Houston. Your right, we do have clear line of sight which allows better overall reception. On the down side, we have alot of overcast and rain. I'm planning on mounting the reciever under the passenger side seat. Is your antenna visible for you or your passenger when you guys are driving? I'd prefer it not be visible to the inside occupants of the vehicle?

BTW, thnx for the info.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:43 AM
pingrr

I have my GPS and NAV antenna mounted behind the oil pressue guage as well. The reception is very good.

Last edited by pingrr; 11-17-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Reefkpr

I have my antenna mounted under the plastic on the strut bar. Totally stealth and great reception.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:10 AM
BluZee

This is where I have mine. No problems with reception.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:34 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by BluZee
This is where I have mine. No problems with reception.

Nice pic. I like the look of that. Looks like you could kill 2 birds with one stone when installing the antenna. Since the center dash is already removed, you could run the antenna cable at the same time you're connecting the reciever's IP-Bus cable to the back of the HU. My antenna would probably be even more inconspicuous since it's alittle smaller that the one you have. Thanx again for the pic.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by vo7848
Thanx again for the pic.
No problem. On a side note we installed the tuner under the passenger seat so everything is hidden.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by BluZee
No problem. On a side note we installed the tuner under the passenger seat so everything is hidden.
Under the passenger seat is wear I planned on placing mine as well. I currently have the DVD processor under my driver's seat. It is a very clean and hidden spot. I ran the cabling through the center console, along side of the shifter. Fished it between the carpet and frame, then slit a small hole in the carpet under the seat to pull the cabling through. I carpeted the processor itself with black carpet, to match the car. This is a real good idea if you are trying to hide it from thieves. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
VO...
Administrator

I completed the install this weekend. I decided to mount the antenna on the dash. I just had to dremil out a small notch on the center console plate, where the top mates with the dashboard. This was to keep the antenna cord from being smashed, and so the console count fit flush. No problem. I get great reception. Thanx all.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM
arlingtonz

Originally Posted by vo7848
I completed the install this weekend. I decided to mount the antenna on the dash. I just had to dremil out a small notch on the center console plate, where the top mates with the dashboard. This was to keep the antenna cord from being smashed, and so the console count fit flush. No problem. I get great reception. Thanx all.
Congrats! Good luck, I have never had rain or clouds cause me any trouble with the satelite radio, back when I had XM, I drove through a hurricane (literally) and the entire 5 hours while it was raining and throwing branches around I never lost signal. That sealed the deal for me right then and there. Good luck and again congrats.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Only problem I've ever had with that location was once when I had my wipers on full blast it would go out every few seconds. Only did it the one time though. I think it must have been a mix of heavy clouds, heavy rain, and the wipers going full blast.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Only problem I've ever had with that location was once when I had my wipers on full blast it would go out every few seconds. Only did it the one time though. I think it must have been a mix of heavy clouds, heavy rain, and the wipers going full blast.
The wipers created a photon shield. Nothing could pass.
On a serious note, I could definitely see your loss of reception with that much interference.