Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

6-3/4" Component Speakers In The Door

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-3/4" Component Speakers In The Door

Anyone actually installed this size speaker in the doors? I am hearing that larger speakers like this will not fit in the stock location. Can anyone show me an example of how they did it? Should I go with the 6-1/2" instead? Is that still too big? I would like to buy a component speaker system such as the: Boston Acoustics SL60

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going with a spacer/custom mounting ring the extra 1/4" won't matter. To use the stock holes without a spacer/ring you're going to have to go with 6.5" and a very small magnet. Use a spacer/ring. Depth is the real issue as you can move the speaker only so far out into the plastic door panel. A custom pod is another option.

My speakers were 2 5/8" deep and fit with a custom made 1.25" spacer.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
If you're going with a spacer/custom mounting ring the extra 1/4" won't matter. To use the stock holes without a spacer/ring you're going to have to go with 6.5" and a very small magnet. Use a spacer/ring. Depth is the real issue as you can move the speaker only so far out into the plastic door panel. A custom pod is another option.

My speakers were 2 5/8" deep and fit with a custom made 1.25" spacer.
+1
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 AM
sundevil67

So what is the maximum depth I should be aware of? I haven't bought the speakers yet, so I can choose another brand to ease the mounting. I don't want to pay for a custom pod or anything fancy like that. Anyone actually used these Bostons, or another Component system that wasn't THAT difficult to mount?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by sundevil67
So what is the maximum depth I should be aware of? I haven't bought the speakers yet, so I can choose another brand to ease the mounting. I don't want to pay for a custom pod or anything fancy like that. Anyone actually used these Bostons, or another Component system that wasn't THAT difficult to mount?
I'm not sure what the max mounting depth is, before hitting the window, but I can tell you that you have at least 3 3/16 inch clearance with a 1 inch plastic spacer.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 AM
isugoo

I have exact same speakers in the door.
I didn't use any spacer but as long as you put far away from the window, you'll not have any issue of mounting depth or fitting. BUT you will have issue of mounting holes. SL60 comes with 2 different spacers but both are Not aligned well with stock speaker mounting holes. So I actually drilled on the panels.
But I'm planning to put 1" to keep some more spcer behind speakers.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 AM
VO...
Administrator

My Infinity Kappas have a 2 3/16 mounting depth. They didn't clear the window, when mounted without a spacer.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:22 AM
sundevil67

Default Kappas

Originally Posted by vo7848
My Infinity Kappas have a 2 3/16 mounting depth. They didn't clear the window, when mounted without a spacer.
Which Kappas do you have? Do you like them? Those were the other ones I was thinking of getting - do you mean the components?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM
VO...
Administrator

Which Kappas do you have? Do you like them? Those were the other ones I was thinking of getting - do you mean the components?
Yes, the Infinity Kappa Components. 6 1/2's. They sound great. Very clear and loud.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
sundevil67

So whaddya think y'all? Infinity Kappa or Boston Acoustics???
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a local store that carrys both and put your ears to them. Be sure to bring your own music.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
VO...
Administrator

I have Boston's in my Mitubishi Eclipse and Kappas in my Z. I'm not too crazy about the Boston's.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 PM
sundevil67

I have seen Boston's in one store, but have never seen Kappa components. I don't think an environment like this exists anywhere near me, and unfortunately I think I might have to rely on other opinions, even though I realize this isn't a good way to buy speakers. I've used both brands in the past, but not these models.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
VO...
Administrator

I have seen Boston's in one store, but have never seen Kappa components. I don't think an environment like this exists anywhere near me, and unfortunately I think I might have to rely on other opinions, even though I realize this isn't a good way to buy speakers. I've used both brands in the past, but not these models.
In your case, you'll have to make a judgement based on opinion and also a little common sense. Go with the brands you know have good reputations. When choosing components, look at the specs. Infinity Kappas are 2nd from "the top of the line" Infinities, they handle 90watts RMS and have a good frequency response. Just from these details, you know they are gonna sound decent. I don't know what the specs are on the Bostons, but hey, that's what the internet is for. When I bought my Kappas, I never heard them either. I based my choice stricktly on specs, size, and pricing. They seemed the best for the price I was willing to spend, and at the same time, offered the best specs. Good luck man.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone actually installed this size speaker in the doors? I am hearing that larger speakers like this will not fit in the stock location. Can anyone show me an example of how they did it? Should I go with the 6-1/2" instead? Is that still too big? I would like to buy a component speaker system such as the: Boston Acoustics SL60

Thanks.
You may want to check these out.
http://www.wickedcas.com/store/index.php?cPath=33
Old 11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
sundevil67

Thanks everyone. I don't want to use "pods" - I definitely want to keep the stock look. vo7848 (Valentino), Do you have any experience with the Infinity "Perfects" ? Is that what you meant was the top of the line if the Kappas are #2? I've heard the Perfects are a bit harsher. Is there a type of music that is better suited to either of these? For example, I listen to more hard rock/metal rather than rap with deep/heavy bass, so by that logic I am going to go with 8" subs instead of 10" or larger.

Thanks again for all of the advice everyone. I can't wait to get my system put together; I have been scrimping and saving and buying each component one by one. I'll make sure to post lots of pics when it is all done.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
dannichols

Thanks everyone. I don't want to use "pods" - I definitely want to keep the stock look. vo7848 (Valentino), Do you have any experience with the Infinity "Perfects" ? Is that what you meant was the top of the line if the Kappas are #2? I've heard the Perfects are a bit harsher. Is there a type of music that is better suited to either of these? For example, I listen to more hard rock/metal rather than rap with deep/heavy bass, so by that logic I am going to go with 8" subs instead of 10" or larger.

Thanks again for all of the advice everyone. I can't wait to get my system put together; I have been scrimping and saving and buying each component one by one. I'll make sure to post lots of pics when it is all done.

If you don't want pods and can't get by without spacer, another option for larger depth mids is making an angled spacer. By angling the mid on its lower left axis, you move the magnet away from the window edge. A larger mid like Focal, CDT, and JL will require a super angle like 2.5" on one side and 1/4" on the other. Speakers with smaller magnets like Diamond, PG, MB Quart, Boston, and Focal slimline..will get by with 1.5" and 1/2". Here is one I made recentl..worked like a champ and also raised the mid toward the center of the door opening.
Attached Thumbnails 6-3/4" Component Speakers In The Door-spacerfin1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
isugoo

In my persnoal expericence,
Kappa does amazing job in that price and Boston is very good speakers but somewhat expensive.

If I don't consider about the price, I like Boston more but price/quality ratio, I will go with Kappa.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:13 PM
R2theP

Do you plan on running these speakers off of an amp or from the head unit?
The Kappas are 2 ohm vs. the Bostons 4 ohm rating. 2 ohms will make the amp work harder and may generate more heat which you may want to consider if powering them from just the head unit, I'm purchasing the Infinity Reference series componets which are 4 ohm for the front since im not running an amp and also the price is more in my budget. If theres a circuit city near you they might have a display to listen to, they usually cary Infintity not sure about Bostons though.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannichols
If you don't want pods and can't get by without spacer, another option for larger depth mids is making an angled spacer. By angling the mid on its lower left axis, you move the magnet away from the window edge. A larger mid like Focal, CDT, and JL will require a super angle like 2.5" on one side and 1/4" on the other. Speakers with smaller magnets like Diamond, PG, MB Quart, Boston, and Focal slimline..will get by with 1.5" and 1/2". Here is one I made recentl..worked like a champ and also raised the mid toward the center of the door opening.

I would say this is the best option I have seen so far if you don't want to use pods. We used to make these at the shop to mount the speakers in the doors until we started making the pods.

Quick Reply: 6-3/4" Component Speakers In The Door