Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear speakers sound like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Trackbite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speakers sound like crap!

I have the standard sound system that comes in a Track model. No sub. The tweeters and front door speakers sound good. However, when I adjust the fade to only the rear speakers, I lose all base. Is this normal?? Are those supposed to be surround sound only? I'm only getting base from the door speakers.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:13 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They (the backs) are very high ohm speakers. . .thus no sound. I replaced the front and rear and it sounds great. You could just replace the rears but then you would want to replace the fronts. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:26 AM
shagz

What speakers did you replace these with? I'm looking at the Infinity Kappa speakers, but they are 2ohm speakers, and the Bose system is 4ohm. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 PM
D`Funkaladu`

Infinity Kappa speakers are 4ohm. You should be fine. Plus they are excellent speakers, great sounding and high quality.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:51 PM
shagz

Sorry, I had it backwards. The kappas are 4ohm, but the Bose system is 2ohm. The kappas will play but will distort. I couldn't find any 'good' 2ohm speakers. Anyone know of any?
Old 01-09-2003, 01:03 PM
D`Funkaladu`

Unhappy that sucks

I didn't know the stock HU was 2 ohm (not a Z owner....yet). You could still use the Kappas but since there's double the resistance you'd have about half the power, not a good idea for speakers like the Infinitys that love lots of power. I don't know of any decent 2 ohm speakers besides subs and replacing the head unit usually screws up the look of the dash. If you want the best sound go with a separate amp. Even a decent 50W X 4 amp would do wonders compared to the horrible amps built into head units. Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:51 PM
NightRider

All of the Nissan Bose systems that I know of don't have amps in the HU. They are all also 1 ohm systems.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:29 AM
kly

I too want to start by changing the rear speakers only.
for those that have done this what speakers will fit the stock location without modification.
also the stock hu is 160 watts. what is the power split. is it 40wattsx4. or is there more wattage to the front speakers.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Trackbite

Now, I'll be the first to admit I am clueless when it comes to car audio. However, I can't imagine 40 watts are going to each of the rear speakers. It's not just a loss of base but the volume level is significantly lower. If I fade the sound to just the rear speakers, you can barely hear them.

I really need to trash these stock speakers but what should I replace them with??
Old 01-10-2003, 12:56 PM
shagz

I researched this subject at length. The Bose system (whether base or touring) is not directly compatible with any aftermarket amps or speakers. You will need an adapter like this : http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERVEN4

I just wanted to replace the stock Bose speakers with Kappas, and found out about this. Now, I'll have to buy the adapter, the 2 amps(4channel for the 4 speakers, 2channel for the sub), and the 4 speakers. And probably the sub too.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:11 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the standard system, right? The stock rear speakers are like 18 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms. If you replace a 18 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker it will get much louder. It does not matter what the HU is, as long as you dont go below 2 ohms per speaker. Below two ohms you are asking for trouble with any stock system . . . the internal amps will get real hot. Bose is not compatible with any thing really, harness or not, sound will suck.

When I replaced the speakers, I had to put the fader on F+3 to put the balance back to the front (like stock). Sound is much better!

My speakers are Eclipse 6.5, look at sig below. $200 with dynomat and speaker harness. Run them off stock head unit, I have got many compliments!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Stone Z

Initially I will get a new HU (Apline) and replace the 4 stock speakers with Inifinty Kappas, and also disconnect the factory tweets in the door. This will be a good start I believe.