Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about Infinity Perfect 10

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM
350xfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Infinity Perfect 10

I just put a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 10's in my Z. They are housed in a Zenclosure. I am driving them with an MB Quart RAA1000 at 2 ohms per side = 1 ohm load. Problem is that I don't think they are hitting very hard at all unless very low frequencies are being fed, i.e. rap music mostly.
In my Dodge Durango I have a single Pioneer Premier 12" that I paid $50 for that pretty much blows the doors off the 2 10's. I know the acoustics in the Durango are much different than in the Z, but...

I paid $300 for the 10's. Anyone know whether these speakers just suck? or the amp??? or any other suggestions like enclosure volume... it is a sealed enclosure.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
MRMDFY

Originally Posted by 350xfire
I am driving them with an MB Quart RAA1000 at 2 ohms per side = 1 ohm load.

Could you clarify this please? Is a RA1000 a mono-block amp or does it have multiple channels? Does your Infinity sub have dual voicecoils? If so, what impedance is each voicecoil are are those voicecoils wired in series or parallel?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by MRMDFY
Could you clarify this please? Is a RA1000 a mono-block amp or does it have multiple channels? Does your Infinity sub have dual voicecoils? If so, what impedance is each voicecoil are are those voicecoils wired in series or parallel?
RAA1000 is a monoblock, but it has a left and right channel output (can't adjust separately like a 2 channel amp). They are paralleled internally in the amp. So it's a one channel amp with two wires. The subs are DVC's and are wired parallel to get 2 ohms each. When both wires are hooked up to both subs, the amp will see 1 ohm.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
NisAznMonk

I just put a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 10's in my Z. They are housed in a Zenclosure. I am driving them with an MB Quart RAA1000 at 2 ohms per side = 1 ohm load. Problem is that I don't think they are hitting very hard at all unless very low frequencies are being fed, i.e. rap music mostly.
In my Dodge Durango I have a single Pioneer Premier 12" that I paid $50 for that pretty much blows the doors off the 2 10's. I know the acoustics in the Durango are much different than in the Z, but...

I paid $300 for the 10's. Anyone know whether these speakers just suck? or the amp??? or any other suggestions like enclosure volume... it is a sealed enclosure.
Thanks
I've worked with that sub in a 1ft³ sealed enclosure, and a 2ft³ ported enclosure tuned to 34hz. It played well with the 600w Power Acoustik Gothic OV2-1200 I was using at the time. I don't know much about the Rockford Fosgate built MB Quart amp, but sounds like something may be wired wrong?

Either way, how much did you pay for that amp? I did a google search for it and found this link:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14965

Might have to invest in it
Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 AM
04silverzcoupe

Thanks
i would be willing to bet my whole pay check for next year that you have them wired wrong. but then again its known in the car audio community that perfects sound good and hit hard low but cant reproduce the upper bass frequencies as well as some drivers.
also maybe one of the subs is blwon. check the voice coils with a multimeter. but i'd be willing to bet theyre wired out of phase. what voice coil config are they, dual 2 or dual 4?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of phase is my bet as my pair do well enough but I listen to classical and progressive rock which requires a more accurate bass response. Which pole pieces did you put into them. These have the VQ ability to match them to three different size enclosures. I'm using the smaller core for a Qts of .42 and a Qtc of 0.97 and an F3 of 42 Hz. If I listened to rap I'll pull the core completely for a Qts of .63, a Qtc of 1.45 and an F3 of 37 Hz.

Even at mild volumes I shake the heck out of the car. I made the mistake of putting my finger on the cone and nearly broke it off . When I've turned them up they're way stupid loud and I could damage my ears with ease.

Practice safe sound.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:53 AM
TheCajunStyle

350xfire: I use to own a pair of perfect 12.1s SVC. I loved them...but I put a lot of work into making them sound perfect. I've spent more time on car audio forums, and working with car audio than I've slept.

First off, one of the biggest issues is the box. I noticed you said you use a "Zenclosure"--I'm not sure what that is...could you provide a link? Also, do you know any dimensions of the box? Is it a sealed or ported?

Secondly, have you SPL matched the subs to your F/R speakers? Probably not--that's a step most people skip because it doesn't say anything about it in the subwoofer's manual. Here's how you do it:

A.) Turn your amp's GAIN all the way down.
B.) Get a song that you know has a lot of low, loud bass in it.
C.) Press play and turn your volume to 75%. Remember, in car audio world this is where amps reach their peak efficiency. Yes, it's gonna be loud, but continue on...
D.) While still playing at 75% volume, start to turn up your amp's gain. You will eventually see your subs start to distort. You will see distortion before you hear it. If the sub "moves" without emitting any frequency, then that's distortion. As soon as you reach the distortion point, turn the gain back down ever-so-slightly. PERFECT.

If your box was build to spec and you have it wired correctly, then you should have head imploding bass!

Shoot me a PM if you still need help.

Peace bro.