Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Regarding Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:34 PM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 mounting

I bought some Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1s and im about to wire them up tonight or over the next couple days. I had a few questions for you guys about these.

1. Where did you mount the tweeter? The infinity intructions recomment mounting them in the kick panels before the stock position up top, so i was thinking about drilling them into the kick panels.

2. Where did you mount the cross over? I was thinking of mounting them inside the kick panels if that's where i mount them.

3. Did you guys keep the stock grill or did you try to make the speakers poke out with the included infinity grills?

pictures would be great!

thanks,
Alex
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instructions?

I left the stock grills as I wanted everything to be low-keyed and stock looking. I mounted the tweeters where the stock ones were. I mounted the crossovers in the doors - they're huge.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i mounted the speakers in the doors with the stock speaker spacer, and put the tweeter in the stock tweeter compartment. i mounted the x-overs in the "secret compartment" in the glove box behind the passenger seat. i have heard that it is better to have the cross overs closer to the speakers though.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:33 AM
AParshall04

I ended up spending about 3.5-4 hours tonight with just the drivers side speakers. I used 12g monster wire and the wood spacers that mike from Zenclosures sells for the set up.

I got the tweeters to fit in the stock lication pretty stealthly by using the adapter place the stock tweeter uses on the infinity tweeter. I had to rip it off the stock tweeter and cut a tiny ziptie to do this, then i used some 1 side stick foam padding on the back of the tweeter so it would stay secured in the spot.

The zenclosure spacer fits like a glove, but i had to use the grill bottom part + the foam outer ring in order to make it fit right without hitting the window.

WARNING! anyone installing these speakers make sure you roll the window down before you start installing.

After sorting everything out i reasoned that it would be much easier to install the crossovers in the door because then i would only need to run 1 pair of wires through the door rather than 2 pairs (2 tweet, 2 woof). I still havn't reasoned out which part of the door im going to install on, i'm going to try to look at some install pics on the site to get some ideas of good spots.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
lightner22

Originally Posted by AParshall04
The zenclosure spacer fits like a glove, but i had to use the grill bottom part + the foam outer ring in order to make it fit right without hitting the window.

WARNING! anyone installing these speakers make sure you roll the window down before you start installing.
You lost me on that one. What do you mean by the grill bottom part + foam outer ring? What exactly did you use besides the zenclosures spacer?? My window still hits from my install and im going to buy those spacers most likely, so I'm interested in how you got them to work.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he means that the 1" spacer isn't enough for these rather deep mid-bass speakers. I started my installation with the windows down (of course!) and found that the 1" spacer wasn't enough by about 1/4" or so more. So I trashed the plastic pre-made spacer and made my own by laminating two pieces of plywood to create a 1.25" spacer.

You can also off-set the speakers a bit further forward in the holes so that the speaker element better matches the portion of the grill which Nissan cut out. Being mid-bass it's not as important as a tweeter but it does help.

Here's a picture of the inside of the door panel - the hole in the white foam matches the front of the grill but only about 70% of the hole is cut.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 PM
AParshall04

Originally Posted by lightner22
You lost me on that one. What do you mean by the grill bottom part + foam outer ring? What exactly did you use besides the zenclosures spacer?? My window still hits from my install and im going to buy those spacers most likely, so I'm interested in how you got them to work.
basically the infinity kappa perfect 6.1s come with a variety of accessories including grills (a metal mesh front that locks into a plastic backing that is securted BEHIND the speaker) foam padding that has 1 side that sticks, and a "spider mount" metal bracket. Besides the spacer i almost had to use the plastic grill-back, the foam padding ring, and the spidet mount just so that the huge magnet wouldnt hit the window, but i barely got away with not using the spider mount.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

using the stock speaker spacer, the magnet cleared the window perfect . just put it on the ground with the magnet face up and step on it. worked like a charm.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 PM
lightner22

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I think he means that the 1" spacer isn't enough for these rather deep mid-bass speakers. I started my installation with the windows down (of course!) and found that the 1" spacer wasn't enough by about 1/4" or so more. So I trashed the plastic pre-made spacer and made my own by laminating two pieces of plywood to create a 1.25" spacer.

You can also off-set the speakers a bit further forward in the holes so that the speaker element better matches the portion of the grill which Nissan cut out. Being mid-bass it's not as important as a tweeter but it does help.

Here's a picture of the inside of the door panel - the hole in the white foam matches the front of the grill but only about 70% of the hole is cut.
I guess I was just unlucky w/ my install. Using the stock speakers as spacers didnt work at all, it was hitting the door panel. Using one inch spacers offset cleared the window but would hit the speaker grill when playing even at moderate levels. THe passenger side worked perfectly though and I'll probably leave it alone. As it is now, the drivers side hits the window but not the grill. I havent found the magic spot to clear both yet. Guess that'll be the next project after I move and get my head unit put back in if I don't get another faulty unit.
So am I hearing it right that the zenclosure spacers are not enough for the 6.1's? GUess I'll just make another set on my own and hope it goes better this time. I can live without rolling the window down the last 3 inches, but I'd rather have it done right.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM
vantage350z

The best way to go is with Nazar's door pods. those infinity's just dont fit right in the stock location. they are either to close to the window or to close to the stock grill. and they sound much better with the door pods. I installed the crossover on the door right behind the handle.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
AParshall04

i love nazars pods, ill probably buy some eventually, at the moment i just couldnt justify spending $300 more on speakers.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 AM
vantage350z

my amp is 125 watts X 4 @ 4ohm 14.4 volts. its a MTX 1004. at 2 ohm it can push 250 X 4.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
drumminguy81

i just put those speaker in my car recently.. i built some custom speaker pods like nazars..but mine cost me a lot less just several hours of work...fit like a charm though and look really nice.. i mounted the tweeters in the stock location but i drilled a hole and mounted them on the outside i think it turned out really nice..
Old 01-17-2006, 02:35 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, for max sound quality and value, a stock location mid that is easvinyl dampned and well ealed, with a kick panel mounted tweet i shte way to go...

full kicks would be the best
Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 PM
drumminguy81

i took out the foam and used a few peices of dyanamat to hold it on there.. worked out pretty well...
Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
AParshall04

i used fatmat like dumminguy did and im running a JL 300/4 as a 2 channel amp so its basically a 300/2. They sound absolutely amazing and perfectly flow with the 6012i's in the back and my sub pounding in the hatch.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
UltraYellow350z

Sorry for bumping an old topic but im about to get my Perfects installed and am curious as to what the installer is going to do.

Should I let them make their own spacer or have them cut out my stock speaker? Any door cutting needed? Should I check for anything before I leave to make sure they did a good job?

Also for the tweeters, is it going to sound okay just putting them behind the stock tweeter grills? I don't have the mounting equipment for the tweeters and I would rather not have to cut unless I need to.

These tweeter triangles seem like they are hard to buy.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
JimRHIT

What kind of shop is installing these for you? Have they worked on a 350Z before?

If they have, they will know how to make spacers. Will you be running an amplifier to these? How will you power them ... etc
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
What kind of shop is installing these for you? Have they worked on a 350Z before?

If they have, they will know how to make spacers. Will you be running an amplifier to these? How will you power them ... etc
Im going to be running them with a JL 300/2. The shop is what im a bit scared about. Its a local shop that is relatively cheaper than say Sound Advice. Sound Advice quoted me $348 and this shop said $110. So what im planning to do with work with them based on the how-to's on this site.

Im not sure if they worked on Z's before.

Im just wondering if theres anything in particular I should lookout for?

Also, if I really need to cut out the hole for the tweeter of if I can get by with a "decent" install just putting it behind the grill. Im not that picky because I don't have "detailed ears".

I know how to do it, just never done it. I got the print-outs ready and am planning to show them the steps.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
JimRHIT

Well .. thats quite a lot of money saved.

Make sure they run new wires to the doors so that you have good wires for the amp's power. Also make sure these are run through the grommets and waterproof.

You can place the tweeter behind there ... it will sound like crap though.

If you dont care about quality and dont have detailed ears ... why buy perfects? That is their whole selling point over the reference ... lower distortion .. better tweeter.

Quick Reply: Regarding Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 mounting