Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How to add sub and amp to stock HU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 05:16 PM
onefastdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to add sub and amp to stock HU?

I've done custom installs on previous cars but don't feel like going through all the trouble this time. Replacing the Bose system in my last 300ZXTT was a real pain.

So, I was just wondering how people are adding speakers and amps to their stock non-Bose HU. Actually, I just want to add an amp and 10" sub to the stock system. I hear that the stock HU does not have pre-amp outputs so how do I accomplish my goal? If I add an amp with high level inputs, I'll have to run the rear speaker inputs into the amp, then run the rear speakers + sub from the amp right? Or is there another way to just add the amp to run the sub and leave the front & rear speakers unmolested? I've never run a stock HU with aftermarket amp through high level inputs. Will this sound like crap?

Also, will two 8" subs sound better than a single 10" sub in the factory location? Sounds like people are having trouble fitting the 10" sub with MDF boxes in the factory location.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

ps - I know adding amps and keeping the stock HU is a mickey mouse cheeseball hack job and not my usual style, but I just don't have the time or patience for a full audio replacement at this time. Please don't roast me too bad for this decision....
Old 01-20-2003, 11:06 AM
j's350z

You can buy a speaker level to line in converter for like $20. You tap in to your speaker wires behind the head and run rca's to your amp. You don't have to disconnect the front speakers and amplify them with an amp, you just take the positive from one side and the neg fromthe other side and you can run the rca's to a mono amp for the sub. I've done it that way in my last 2 cars but in my Z I kept the stock head and ran 2 convertors to a 5 channel amp that powers all 4 speakers and one 10" sub..
Jason
NJ
Old 01-20-2003, 02:20 PM
jnifong

Yep I did the same as mentioned above in my eclipse with the infinity system. Works really well and is easy to do. I plan to do the same in the Z. I might try out on of the bazooka bass tubes with the amp built in since the trunk space in the Z is so small. I should be able to tuck that in one of the corners in the trunk and have some space left. Anybody else tried one of these in their Z?

Jon
Old 01-20-2003, 02:35 PM
jnifong

Yep I did the same as mentioned above in my eclipse with the infinity system. Works really well and is easy to do. I plan to do the same in the Z. I might try out on of the bazooka bass tubes with the amp built in since the trunk space in the Z is so small. I should be able to tuck that in one of the corners in the trunk and have some space left. Anybody else tried one of these in their Z?

Jon
Old 01-20-2003, 10:05 PM
onefastdoc

Thanks guys.....
Old 01-21-2003, 03:13 PM
lemans

Smile

Originally posted by jnifong

Jon
I get all the base I need from a RF Amplified enclosed 8" Tube. If you want more you can get a larger one but 8" works fine for me.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
ScottC

Originally posted by jnifong

Jon
Not in the Z, but I had a 8 inch Bazooka in my Tahoe and it was great. It added just the right amount of extra bass to make all kinds of music sound better. I bet an 8 inch is plenty in a small space like the Z, b/c it was great in the Tahoe.