Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics
View Poll Results: Which subwoofer configuration do you prefer?
Custom Fiberglass Enclosure in Stock Location (2 8" Kicker or JL Subs)
21.93%
JL Stealth Box (2 10" Subs), Amp in Glove Box (2 10" JL Subs)
27.19%
Zenclosures Strut Bar Box (2 8" JL or Kicker Subs)
23.68%
Something else entirely!
27.19%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Subwoofer Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Options

1. Custom Fiberglass Enclosure in Stock Location (2 8" Kicker or JL Subs)
2. JL Stealth Box (2 10" Subs), Amp in Glove Box (2 10" JL Subs)
3. Zenclosures Strut Bar Box (2 8" JL or Kicker Subs)

I know these topics have been discussed separately, but I wanted to bring them all in one place, add a poll, and really break down the pros and cons - sort of beat it to death - cause it is a big decision! The cheapest option is definitely the Zenclosures box, but I would like to hear thoughts on sound quality, cargo space, looks, ease of install, etc. One installer was telling me that he thought the stealth box would sound better than the Zenclosure because of the reduced air space or increased air space - I can't remember! How good is the color match of the carpet on the Zenclosures? If I do the stealth box, I will have to get 10s, but I kinda had my heart set on 8" because of past experience. I also kind of believe that 2 10" subs is overkill for this little car, no? Anyway, forgive me if you've posted about these topics before - I have had such bad luck with every decision I've made about this car that I insist on beating it to death before I pull the trigger!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:43 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/170051-my-hidden-system-stealth-amp-and-sub-setup.html
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
sundevil67

The only related item I see on that thread is an install of a single sub behind the driver's seat - which is the only option that I am sure I don't want. I am really interested to see if there is anyone out there that has experienced the stealthbox AND the zenclosure ; or someone that can speak from personal experience on the custom enclosre vs the stealthbox.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sound quality issue is irrelevant, the zenenclosure box is well built, and as for air space, just find out from nazar the total volume of air inside the box, and find the right subs that fits the bill...

other than that, your post is a bit comnfusing, i mean, you should know the pros and cons of each set up, basically

two 10s will be louder than two 8s, but is more expensive, each has their advantages and disadvantages, whcih i am sure you know clearly enough, so its really up to YOU to decide whcih is best for you, its not like you are asking, whcih is better, JL subs or Pyramid subs, where one is clearly better, this is a give or take situation.

but...if i were you, i would gow tih two 10s and the zen enclosure box, if you are worried about air space, go wtih two image dynamics idq10s or id10s, similar output as the jls and requires a lot smaller of a box...

b
Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The color match is wonderful. That's the optional Nissan trunk mat sitting under mine. The fit is spot-on and very tight. The speaker box roadie handles were added to handcuff my wife to the ... I mean to help pull the speaker box out. Total weigh of the two woofers and the box was just over 60 pounds BTW.

The effeciency rating of a speaker is a published figure that all the manufacturers will give you. The number represents in decibels how loud the speaker is. Normally expressed at 1 meter driven with one watt but with the factories playing around a bit with the measurements speakers within a dB or two are more or less equals.

The Zenclosure is about 0.7 cu.ft. meaning it hits the sweet spot with two eight inch woofers made by a whole lot of companies.

The Zenclosure is pretty stealth in that the woofers face aft and there's just a bit of exposure between the bottom edge of the window and the speakers. If my cones were black vice silver/white they'd blend in even more. There's a bit of space in front of the box where I toss junk and of course the rest of the trunk space is open too. They come with speaker terminals so that you can just disconnect them and pull the speaker box out completely. When I make a 'Vegas trip that's what I plan on doing to give me a bit more space for the bags.

A good 8" woofer can sound better than an average 10" and visa-versa. Most high-end home speakers have 8" or 10" woofers and use a seperate 12" sub-woofer.

I didn't concider Kicker woofers when I was shopping but looked over the 8" speakers from Boston Acoustics, Infinity, JL Audio, and Rockford Fosgates. In the JL audio line the 10W6V2 and 10W0 were the best match running the Thiel-Small paramerters but the 10W7 and 10W3V2 weren't that far off. I ended up with the Infinity 10vDQ speakers which I have set with the medium plug for a Qtc of 0.97 and bass response down to 42 Hz -3dB.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:00 PM
sundevil67

Wow - the poll is almost dead even! One question for Zenclosure owners - anyone have the one with the amp rack? Can you see the amps from outside the car at all?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
fernell69

I just picked up a single 10" under strut box a few weeks back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

I'm running 1 JL 10w3v2 with a Rockford 800.2 amp. I've run some loud cars before and this one can keep up. Anything hitting into that little hatch area is going to sound good so really its your price range that would make the difference.

I've got the amp hidden behind the drivers seat, in the dead space behind where the Bose sub would be. There is a thread out there somewhere on how to set it up like a hidden storage area and its twice as big as the stock glove box. There are some good grounding points in that location. I haven't had any overheating issues but I'm not running that amp very hard, its plenty loud and my girlfriend b tches way before I get it cranked up.

Of the 3 options you have posted, I would choose the understrut box, that space is useless anyway, and the 8's would pound as long as you got some decent JL's that you could put some real power to.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
sundevil67

The installer mentioned something about using that area as a storage space for the amp because the JL 500/5 would probably need a little extra room. If anyone knows where that thread is, I would love to check it out - couldn't find it with the search. I think the Zenclosures is definitely the least expensive option - though I do use that space for groceries, etc.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
fernell69

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/153419-behind-the-driver-cubby.html

There you go.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Nazar
Banned

I think I should be part of the poll...

Wicked CAS Magic Boxes...

http://www.wickedcas.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_24

Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
frankz

Default Looking for subs!

Hey Guys!

Brand new Z owner and want to add some bass to my new toy. Mids and tweets are easy but what about the subs? Limited space...want to have some space left...Thought about 2 JL 8w7's but they require too much space. Looked at the JL Stealth box (2 10W3's), any suqqestions?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 AM
sundevil67

Default Wickedcas

[QUOTE=Nazar]I think I should be part of the poll...

Wow - definitely. I actually saw something like this a while back, but never knew it was available to purchase - thought it was just a one time custom deal. This is something I will definitely consider; might be the one that saves the most space - too bad I can't actually hear the differences.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Nazar
Banned

[QUOTE=sundevil67]
Originally Posted by Nazar
I think I should be part of the poll...

Wow - definitely. I actually saw something like this a while back, but never knew it was available to purchase - thought it was just a one time custom deal. This is something I will definitely consider; might be the one that saves the most space - too bad I can't actually hear the differences.
Let me help you with more options...

Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
sundevil67

AGGGHHHH - Now I will never be able to decide!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM
sundevil67

Default Sub Location

[QUOTE=Nazar]
Originally Posted by sundevil67

Let me help you with more options...

Nazar, is this your work?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Nazar
Banned

No that is not one of ours.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM
sundevil67

Wow - its just as I feared. The poll is pretty much split down the middle! I was just about to go with the box in the trunk, and then started reading some car audio theft horror stories. Even about places that I frequently visit locally! The thinking is that it is much harder to swipe a couple of subs that are molded into the compartment behind the driver's seat than a box sitting under the strut bar. Also, instead of displaying the amps the way that I originally thought I would (I had been eyeing this setup), I think bolting it down inside of the glove compartment would make it harder to gank as well. They will get my deck, but I want to make it as difficult as possible for the bastards to get the rest of it. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I figure with my luck it is only a matter of time before someone breaks into my car, so I think I am going to go with the setup that is more hidden. I've also started to really pay attention to my use of the cargo space, and I really do very frequently use that space underneath the strut bar. I fill up that hatch nearly every day, with dry cleaning, my briefcase, softball bag, lunch bag-coolers, etc. If I cut that space in half, I'd have to forget about picking up hitchhikers/hookers , one of my favorite hobbies.