Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dumb Sub Wiring Question.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 PM
DiverDown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb Sub Wiring Question.......

I have two JL Audio 8W3's. I have never done this before so I referred to the paperwork included in the boxes with the subs as far as wiring them from the banana clips to the inputs on the subs.

According to the papers, there should be a total of four wires ( two + and two -) going into each sub. See link below....

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/8W3_BDS.pdf

As of right now, I only have one + and one - going from the banana input clip to the sub. Am I absolutely supposed to have the four wires since it is a dual voice coil???? If so, which way should they be wired? (Probably should have asked this BEFORE mounting the subs, huh!??!)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
DD
Old 01-23-2003, 03:34 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default This is very important...

First off, yes, you should wire both voice coils...most DVC subs do not recommend not driving both voice coils...JL Audio gives the end user alot of options for wiring, depending on whcih model of subs you have (D2, D4, D6)...the D* means its dual * ohms.

With that in mind, you need to wire them, so as not to load down your amp too much. Depending on how you wire the voice coils, determines the final load impedance on your amp. Remember that 2 voice coils of the same impedance wired in parallel (+ to + and - to -) will halve the initial impedance of one of the voice coils. For example, 2 6 ohm voice coils in parallel equals 3 ohms, 2 4 ohm coils in parallel equals 2 ohms. Most amps are stable to 2 ohms, and the better amps are good to 1 ohm or even 1/2 ohm. Also remember that the lower the driven impedance, the harder the amp has to work (more current, more power output, more HEAT!). If you are bridging your amp, each channel sees half of the load (2 ohms total equals 1 ohm per channel on a bridged amp). So, make sure if you are driving your amp hard to make sure its adequately ventilated (fans or openb heatsink), so that it dissipates this heat. HEAT kills amps.

If you are wiring 2 4 ohm DVC subs to a 2 ohm stable amp, I would recommend a series/parallel combination (2nd configuration down on the right side of JL's pdf). This is providing your amp is 2ohm stable, and you are using D4's...

PM me if you have any other questions, but you do not want to overdrive your amp, or not properly drive your DVC subs...
Old 01-23-2003, 05:47 AM
SeanRod

Onecoolee,
I have read several of your posts regarding audio systems. I have to say I am thoroughly impressed by your knowledge base dude!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:08 AM
onecoolee

Default Thanks...

Its nice to be able to use my EE degree for something

It also helps to have been involved in USAC and IASCA for a few years...
Old 01-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

So if I want my Alpine amp to run at 2 Ohms, with 2 8" Solobaric dual coil subs, do I get two 4 Ohm subs or two 2 Ohm subs?
It sounds like 4 Ohms because the dual coils get connected in parallel.

Mow that I am thinking, the Alpine (MRD-500) is a monoblock. Can I drive both subs with one amp?

Mike
Old 01-23-2003, 07:39 AM
grebmohr

Alot of electrical magic can be accomplished by wiring in parallel or series. You can theoretically run both dual coils from one amp. That is depending on the amp of course. If your amp is 1 ohm stable then you will want to work out math to get you to 1 or 2 ohms. Other wise you need to work toward the load capability of your specific amp.

Some old rockfords could run at a damn near short circuit. but those amps are very pricey and hard to come by.

I will save you post and do some math at lunch to see how you should wire these best. More later if not beaten to it.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:24 AM
onecoolee

Default No need for special math...

Just look at the JL Audio pdf link for DiverDown's subs. JL audio shows several different series parallel configurations along with their ending load impedance. This is all you need, and I don't see the need to do any special math to find out. Granted the math is not that complicated, but I learned in school to use all the resources available to me, so why do something that was already done
Old 01-23-2003, 09:09 AM
DiverDown

Thanks a ton Onecoolee. I think I have it figured out now.

In essence, all I will be doing is running a line from the bottom - to the top - and a line from the bottom + to the top +. This will distribute the power from the bottom clips/1st coil to the top clips/2nd coil.

Simple enough, I just wanted to make sure I was seeing this correctly. I'll let you know how it sounds!

Thanks,

DD

Last edited by DiverDown; 01-23-2003 at 09:25 AM.