Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Want to do an audio system...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to do an audio system...

**I am reposting this, I asked this on *********.com as well**

So, I have never had any audio work done on any car of mine, so I am completely clueless as far as what means what.

The only thing I do know is that I need a head unit with a navigation - I am pretty set on the Pioneer AVIC D2. I am also looking at the Z1, but its not out yet, and its probably going to be way too expensive for me.

Anyway, aside from that, I want to put in a 10" sub (I have seen an enclosure which fits snug against the left of the trunk - anyone know what it is? I just don't want an enclosure that goes under the strut bar..). I also want to replace the speakers in the car (2006 enthusiast coupe). I have seen you guys talking about Infinity Kappa speakers.. are they good? I don't listen to much rap - I don't need insane bass - I am more interested in good sound quality. Of course, I do want a good amount of bass available to me if I want to use it.

My main worry is that I have no idea what components to look for. Speakers, amps, sizes, types, etc. It's all confusing to me.

All I know is that currently, the stock system sounds like all of the sound is too focused behind me - almost no sound feels like its coming from the front center of the car. In my Acura TSX (which I just traded in for this beauty), at least the sound came from all directions. What would I need to put in my car to have good quality, centered sound, with decent bass..

The other problem I have is that I don't know of any great audio installation shops around my area. I live in Malibu, California, but I spend most of my time in the Calabasas, Woodland Hills, and Thousand Oaks area. Can anyone recommend a place which has good prices and reliable people? PCM (Pacific Coast Motoring) is on Ventura, but it is one of the most expensive places I can think of [~$90/hr]. If anyone knows general mechanics around the area, that would be great too.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can make some suggestions.

First, I like the Eclipse 5434 far more than the Pioneers. That's a matter of taste, however.

Second, and probably most important: DO NOT bother with rear speakers. In fact, you can take them out and save some weight. Get the best pair of front components you can afford (I like my Dynaudios) and a good quality 2ch amp (Audison comes to mind). If you aren't an audiophile, something like JL Audio's 300/2 amp and their um, I think it's VR (the 6.5" components with a soft-dome tweeter) would be a budget setup that will sound great.

Third: Run quality interconnects and properly route your power and ground wires.

Fourth: Unless you're a bass-head you can actually get away without a sub if you properly Dynamat the doors inside and out, and properly tune/power the speakers.

Finally - I suggest a good, qualified installer who is less of a salesman and more of a technician and enthusiast. If you were here in Rochester NY I'd be glad to point you to a few, but you're not

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
momo 350z

pretty much what he said,go around the salesman and talk to the installer,,tell him what you want and how you want it to sound..don't know if you have a "good guy's" out your way but i use to work there palo alto ca. when i lived there.i would highly recc. them
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
plumpzz

anyone know any good installers in NJ, centeral area? I'm getting into teh audio thing ever since 16psibrick sent me some info :-D
Old 03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
dream724Z

Great starting advice from dmoffitt! There will be some personal customization after you learn more.

>if you have a "good guy's" out your way

The whole GG chain was aquired by Compusa and then parted out! Most of the GGs were remodeled last year in vain so it was a total loss. Sick!

Find a solid referral for a Certified Installer otherwise a Newbee will screw up your Z!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 PM
dingobiatch

Well, I've got a BestBuy, CompUSA, Frys, etc... in my area. But would they be able to do a good job? I need to find a good certified installer.. nobody knows of any in my area? Common guys!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Villainous350z

I have the Pioneer D1. As far as ease of use... I would recommend it. The overrides are easy to install and the safety measures are easy to by pass.

Any "good" head unit will provide music in good quality. The things you have to spend your money on are amps and speakers. I good set of componets are made by Boston with the neo-demi... I havent a clue how to spell it. Anyway the magnet is so small but so powerful and the speakers provide incredible sound. Go to any high end store and see what you think after you listen to them.

Well there is my opinion. Hope it helps.

Ken
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

some good info has been said before...

honestly, if you have never done something like this before, in my honestly opinion its beset to find a good and trust worthy installer, and learn through haveing a system done up, basically having that someone who can answer your quetsions and sit down with you after its installed to describe what did waht, etc etc...

cause if you start reading, you are going to get simply overloaded with info, opinions, etc etc...it will drive you mad

having said taht, I am have gotten quite a few customers from socal, so if oyu dont mind the drive, i will be more than happy to help you design, install and explain a system

all i basically ask is three qeustions:

1. waht is your goal in sound quality wise, i.e (a lot of bass, balanced, etc etc, waht kind of music do you listen to)

2. what is your goal in terms of looks (stealth, clean, simple box, etc etc)

3. wahts your absolutely max budget

b
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
gmoney7770

Hey, i just recently got a complete system installed in my '03 Touring. Here is what i learned from this and what prices i found as well.

First the components:

Headunit-Eclipse AVN 5435, double din touch screen dvd/navi/cd/mp-3/sirius, etc, etc ($1500)
Amps- (2) JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 Mono for Sub ($350 each new from Ebay)
Sub- JL Audio 10w6v2 ($275 new Ebay)
Speakers-Kicker RS6 Resolution Series 6.5" Component (2 sets) ($125 each New)
Misc- 4 gauge power/ground cables, 2 Distribution Blocks (1 digital), 2 sets of Streetwire RCA's (1 4-channel set and 1-Subwoofer), 1-Farad Audiobahn Digital Cap with Distribution Block built in and Sirius Satellite radio. ($400 all together installed)
Custom Fiberglassed 10" sub enclosure in left hand corner of trunk ($375 Tweeter) Colormatched.
Installation ran about $200 on HU, and $400 on everything else excluding the Sub box.

You will need 6.5" speakers and it is true, you don;t really get any sound from the rears, i just bought them since i got a great deal from a friend. With that being said, don't go cheap on the front components as all of your sound will come from there. The sub sounds great when tuned and after calling pretty much all of the custom audio shops where i live, $375 was the cheapest price i could find and the guy was able to fit a 10w6v2 in there.

I would recommend going with the Eclipse HU and if you are willing to wait they have some nice 2006 models coming out. The reason i would wait is the fact that they have the two seperate slots like the pioneer however the DVD-ROM slot not only handles the Navi, but can play DVD movies as well. It also has a DSP (Digital Sound Processor).

If you would like pics to see what the set - up looks like PM me.

Everything is hidden from view and the only thing that you can see is the sub in the corner when the hood is up. The sub box def saves trunk space and is worth it for looks and practicality. Hope this info helps......
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
dingobiatch

Why are two amps necessary??
Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
dingobiatch

**and crap, thats a lot more expensive than i was hoping. so i could just not put in rear speakers tho? should i keep the stock ones or take em out?**
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

dingobiatch, if you want PM me, i have done quite a few sound quality installs that simply sound great that costs much less than 1500 bucks includin glabor and not including the headunit

bsically, my suggestion would be, to spend the money on the front stage, tahts where its going to make the biggest difference..

just off the top of my head:

front stage molded into kick panels: $550
four channel amp: $350
simple 10" $150
understrut box with amp bolted on the back: $150
misc labor, wiring: 100

if installed and tuned right, will sound FANTASTIC
Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

keep your rear speakrse if yo want and just run off the headunit, but personally i say disconnect them all together

two amps are not neccesary, you need THREE amp channels, two to drive each front sepaker, one to drive the sub, thast all, you can do this with either two amps, or one
Old 03-15-2006, 07:32 PM
dingobiatch

K. 16psibrick, I would get you to do the install but you are very very far from me.

So no recommendations of good installers in the SoCal area?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM
dream724Z

dingobiatch,

Those Big box stores are a very risky dice throw! I initially let a Big Box Installer (he seemed very smart...) loose on my Z. When he mangled my door harness pins, I fired him and finished it myself.

You should take 16psibrick up on his offer to dial in your sound. Check out his impressive post pix.

Last edited by dream724Z; 03-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
dingobiatch

Big Box? And I want to do it with 16psibrick, but I believe it's something like a 4-5 hour drive up to him, and then I would have nothing to do while I waited for the install. Plus, if something ever needed to be fixed... that's a long way.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM
dream724Z

Since when was owning a Z practical?

Call LA's www.woofersetc.com tomorrow for a recommendation.
I bought my awesome system there for a bargain!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
dingobiatch

My friend got his system in his Accord installed by Circuit City, and they did a very good job. He says I should go with them... any objections?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

never, ever go with short circuit city, or worst buy...

4-5 hours? bah, that aint nothin i have had guys fome as far as san diego...come, drop off hte car , chill in SF for a coupla days, come back, get the car, go home make it a nice little road trip vacation...

in all honesty, there are plenty of good shops in LA, but you will prolly end up spending eaislly twice as much as waht i would charge you for the same caliber of install and sound quality

b
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
dingobiatch

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
never, ever go with short circuit city, or worst buy...

4-5 hours? bah, that aint nothin i have had guys fome as far as san diego...come, drop off hte car , chill in SF for a coupla days, come back, get the car, go home make it a nice little road trip vacation...

in all honesty, there are plenty of good shops in LA, but you will prolly end up spending eaislly twice as much as waht i would charge you for the same caliber of install and sound quality

b
Alright, well I'll consider it. Maybe I'll do a road trip up there with my friend during spring break..

If I wanted to do Infiniti Kappa Perfects in the front, no rears (will it honestly not be annoying not having rears?), a 10" sub (for rock/dance music, can you recommend a good one?), decent amp, and a Pioneer AVIC D2 navigation (I would bring it up with me), what would you quote? I don't want the under-strut sub install that most people do, I would like the sub in one of the trunk corners. And I assume the amp be installed in the unused compartment behind the drivers seat (2006 enthusiast 350z).

Thanks! (And just in case I can't make it up there, what do you think I should be looking for as far as pricing for that kind of setup? And is Circuit City really that horrible, considering they have a lifetime warranty in case they do screw up? Obviously I would go to a professional over them, but if it comes down to that..)

Last edited by dingobiatch; 03-15-2006 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Want to do an audio system...