Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Since alot of people asked me, i will offer custom molded kick panels...details here

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Since alot of people asked me, i will offer custom molded kick panels...details here

well, got quite a lot of PMs asking about price on molding kicks...so i guess i will build them for other forum members, since it is one of hte few things i am confident that i an build with out the car itself

I have build dozens of kicks for volvo owners, if you want reference on my quality of work, go to www.volvospeed.com go to the audioforum, and post a question there asking what people though of the kicks i built them

anyway, before i get into pricing...here is the link the pics of GQ 350z's kicks.:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/176443-custom-molded-kick-panels-finished-a-few-pics-ooo-suede-is-so-soft.html

here are all the details i can think about, so you guys know EXACTLY what you will be getting:

1. the stock kick panel will be strengthened with fiberglass first, then dampened heavily
2. the kick panel, after molding, will receive three layers of dampening on the inside to quite vibrations
3. the kick, after its done, will simply mount using hte stock clips on the front, the rear cap screw wont be able to go back on, but you can just push it so it goes into the stud. but even wtih tou this rear mounting point, the kick is 100 percent secure
4. You will receive the kicks with the speaker mounted to them (unless you choose the unfinsihed version), with two sets of wiring leading out with quick disconnects, you will need to find a place for the crossover modules, and wire them up to the amp and to the speakres.
5. If you already have speaker you want o use in this configuration, you NEED to send them to me, i DO NOT work off specs and measurements

IMPORTANT!

you NEED to use speakres that are good for off axis speakres. For this reason, i STRONGLY recommend DLS ultimate line of speakers, they have proven time and again to work wonderfully in off axis kicks like these. If you choose to use your own speaker set, i CANNOT gurantee how the sound imaging and staging will be. So if you want to use what you have before, do some reseach, ask the company tech about how they would work in off axis kick panel locations.

now for hte advantages and disadvantages of kicks:

Disadvantage:

1. you WILL loose your deadpedal, i am trying to see if i can get a set in there without loosing it, but becuase of how close teh deadpedal is to the stock kick, this seems unlikely. the driving position of your left foot will be changed, but as with all my kick panel custoemrs in the past, they all have said with in a few days, their legs have adjusted and it no longer feels uncomfortable.

thats it...

Advantage:

1. MUCH better sound quality. For how these sound compared to door speakres, feel free to ask GQ 350Z. overall, midbass is much more controlled and tighter, the imaging is high and cnetered...just overall sounds dramatically better, words cant really just describe the difference

2. NO MORE stock door panel buzz...none of that buzzing and crackling

3. NO need to run speaker wires into the door, which i know is a pain.

4. completely and easily removalbe when you sell the car, just pull it out, buy a set of kick pieces, snap them back in and done, no need to touch the stock speakers in the door.

Pricing:

Finished Kick panel, trimed in suede, with speakres mounted $350 shipped

if you want to have your kicks painted for some reason, i will do a set unfinished, meaning, molded, dampend, and only rough sanded with 60 grit so you can give it to your body shop to finish sanding nad paint: $250 shipped

now like i said, i strongly recommend DLS ultimate speakers for this applications, and i will give a discount on the speaker if you are purchasing them with the kicks:

DLS Up6: $350
DLS UR6s: $500
DLS Iridium 6.2 $650
DLS Nobelium 6.2: $900

Last edited by 16psibrick; 03-18-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

forgot to ask that if you want to order, just PM me, if you have more generic questions, post here
Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 AM
beggohbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would the driving dynamics of the vert - with the top down - affect the high, centered staging? I've never had a vert before so I'm not sure what the best way to approach the sound system while considering all the extra ambient noise with the top ?

Speaking on behalf of all other roadster owners, it woudl also be pretty sweet if you could come up with a good solution for installing a subwoofer without losing any more of the already limited trunk space.

The price on the kicks sounds great!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
danny8ng

Hi Bing,

Just want to clarify, if I want the kick panels to be painted by the body shop. Do I still need to send you my Diamond Audio component spkrs? I will research to see if these DA spkrs are good for off axis in kick panel locations. But if you or anyone can confirm me on the DA specs, please PM me as I don't want to hijack this thread. Many thanks.

Danny
Old 03-17-2006, 09:40 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

the imaging and staging itself wont be affected much with the top down, but its more liket he wind noise and raod noise will make it harder to distinguish where hte true center is...the top down part affects more hte bass than anything else.

Danny, i will ALWAYS need the speakres to mold the kick, sorry...

but i strongly recommend AGAINST doing painted kicks, unless you are doing a show car and are super super super super x100 with you feet, they scratch very easily...

as for sub solution, well, thats something a lot more involved than kicks ...i will think about hwen ig et a roadster in april, i am doing a 6 sub configuration in the cabin lol

b
Old 03-17-2006, 09:59 PM
GQ 350z

Awesome deal!!

Anyone jump on this yet? You guys that don't have a kickpanel setup...don't know what you're you missing!!!

I vouch for bing 100%, quality and pricing and service are all excellent.

ravi
Old 03-18-2006, 06:04 AM
rotaryrocket7

I made a custom set as well, I'll try and post picks later today if possible. You can maintain the use of the dead pedal, however with my setup you cannot go straight from the clutch over to the dead pedal. You have to either turn your foot slighty(I mean very slightly) sideways, or go under neath the clutch. It is not inconvienent at all. t is still very comfortable and useful. I mostly use mine on the highway though...

Oh, I have the Dynaudio 3 way system, so the woofer is in the door. If you are planning on building the woofer into the kicks, then I'd agree there's no chance of maintaining the use of the dead pedal.

I've seen other threads with your work and I'm sure the quality will be top notch.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:37 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah if the mid and tweet is going in the kicks, i can do it so there is NO room lost at all, at seen on thsi 350z i did with the 4" midrange and tweet in the kick, i just sealed te kick fromt he back and did not raise the front one bit...deadpedal can be used just like normal

but when its a two way set witha 6.5", its very hard
Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM
rotaryrocket7

Yeah, that looks good. You do quality work! Those speakers are meant for off-axis? I can't tell which brand they are.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah those are, CDT stuff
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Hypnoz

Sounds like a fantastic deal! Love the updates
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM
beggohbee

hmmm... very interested. I've never heard a set of speakers in kicks before so I'm a little hesitant going down this route. But if there are any socal members with such a setup, I'd love to hear it! PM me if you wouldn't mind letting me check out your car
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by beggohbee
hmmm... very interested. I've never heard a set of speakers in kicks before so I'm a little hesitant going down this route. But if there are any socal members with such a setup, I'd love to hear it! PM me if you wouldn't mind letting me check out your car
All the best SQ cars have their speakers in kicks or use horns. They create the best possible staging and imaging. His kicks are for speakers with great off-axis response, hence why they create such good staging while being aimed at your feet.

Door locations are very bad for making a good soundstage.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hmm i dont quite have anyone in socal with them yet...

but tell you waht, i will be willing to do a money back gurantee, if you get it, hook it up, and tune it right and it sounds horrible to you, not at all waht i described i.e. the sound seems to come from your feet, no clearity, no midbass...etc, send it back and i will refund you and pay for a set of new stock kicks for you.

i am willing to put htis on the forum right here so i cant back out of it

b
Old 03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tweaters and mid-ranges should be mounted as high as possible - closest to the listener's ears while minimizing any reflections or blocking objects in their path. That's hard/impossible to do in the car to be sure. I'd rather see an A pillar pod to mount the tweeters inside of sitting just inside the pillar toward the center of the dash board.

Have a gander at the Audio forum over at AVSforums and after you wade though the bs you'll find time proven audio theory, art, and science.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

A pillar midranges and tweets are getting more attention in sound quality circles, but there is a simple truth to them:

1. it take a lot more work to get them up there, espeically the midrange, try molding a 2-3" midrange into your A pillar and see, i have done it before, but it does tka ea lot more work.

2. it take a lot more work to tune correctly, becuase there are glass up there, and there are no laser beam sound point tweeter and midranges, meaning no matter how you aim the midrange and tweets, part of the sound radiation is going to bounce of the glass, whcih si the worst reflector in the world...

3. unless you somehow have center drive, or have a strange car where hte windshield is way foward of you, you will only be able to get a solid image from ONE seat, a few of my friends who compete heavily in sq with A pillar and or dash tweets and mids all use some kindof time alignment to get a solid perfect image from the driver seat, but if you listen from the passenger seat, its messed up.

there is an argument to be made for dash and a pillar moutning so ure, such as super high imaging with out the rainbow effect et cet...but many of the sq people, including me, but alos multi time iasca champions like Garry Biggs, swear by kick panel mounting, and garry is one of the most prolific winners in IASCA and USAC circles.

b
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Hypnoz

Pretty much sums it up there 16psibrick. While logically, it may sound correct, real-life attempts show it as problematic and not practical.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 PM
cylinderking_1

When mine is done I will post pictures, I have about 40 pictures so for of my install its about 60% done this is whats going in.
Mcintosh mx406
Mcintosh mc404
Mcintosh mc302
2 pr Diamond Audio d9`s ( 1 pr in the kickpanel`s 1 pr behind seats)
Diamond Audio d9 sub 10 inch ( left side custom fiberglass box)
Alumapro 5 farod cap
Jl audio 2-4 cable kit
Ixos 700 series interconects
Audioquest speaker cables

Anyone who has done a system know every thing you do it becomes a custom task. Back to the kickpanel`s as Hypnoz said they are not pactical but if your doing a high end system the door`s are not a opption but if you what it to sound right thats where to put them. The d9`s are 7 inch with a huge basket you loose alot of feet space, loose the door to the fuse panel, but what I will gain in sound presentation I went that way. David
Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i think hypnoze was referring to apillar mounting as not being practical

the magnet structure issue is wh yi love using DLS, having neo magnets make them very small indeed

b
Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Hypnoz

Yes, I was referrng to A pillar tweeter mounting. Kick's are actually pretty practical...

Quick Reply: Since alot of people asked me, i will offer custom molded kick panels...details here