Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

how to add mp3 functionality???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:52 PM
dmcgibbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to add mp3 functionality???

i like how the stock headunit looks in the car (the 1din aftermarkets just don't look good in my opinion yet with the cheap dash kits offered) but how can i play mp3's? i have an alpine 7897 in my jeep and love it! the remote as well as the text on the display and being able to play mp3's is great. how can i add that to the 350z w/o replacing the headunit? i know you can add an ipod or something but i like mp3's burned onto CD, not an mp3 player w/ lower quality. are there any options? it would be cool if there was a nav/dvd system available that you could install behind seat in the space that played dvd movies as well as navigation but also handled mp3 cdr's, etc. and all that stuff was displayed on the monitor in the dash. but i guess that would be like having 2 headunits oh well
Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 AM
pdtsyzygy

Default Re: how to add mp3 functionality???

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
i know you can add an ipod or something but i like mp3's burned onto CD, not an mp3 player w/ lower quality.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that you like to burn mp3's to CD because it raises the quality of the recording?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:48 AM
dmcgibbo

no i'm saying that i don't own an mp3 player, a lot of them play lower quality (not the expenso ones) and i can burn really high quality cd audio to mp3's onto a cd-r when i can't get as high quality mp3's into an mp3 player and fit them all, etc. and i don't have a player or audio out or anything like that...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:52 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh, so why don't you just burn them to cd audio?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:57 AM
dmcgibbo

b/c on cd audio you can fit 15-18 songs but w/ mp3 you can fit TONS more. For instance, I have a Smashing Pumpkins CD that I made with all 192-320 kb/s quality songs that includes basically every SP song released so it has every album they did on it plus a couple of live songs.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 AM
vova151

I agree you can tons of mp3s on to a CD. And tons times 6 is like a bazillion. I would like to do some type of add on to play mp3s but in the meantime I will keep using my Getto Jukebox plugged up through the tape player......WOOOOO WOOOOOO!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Omega350Z

Go buy an fm modulator and any cheap mobile dvd player with mp3 capability. It can be mounted behind your passenger seat, under teh passenger or drivers seat, in a cubby like ths stock nav unit, in teh passenger seatback glove box, etc....... Wire the audio out from the player to teh fm modulator and set your fm channel on teh headunit to the same frequencey and there ya go, added mp3 playablility for a lot less than a iPod and you can even upgrade to dvd playability later on if you want to adda screen.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:48 AM
ScottC

You may want to check out some of this:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=16713
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 AM
vova151

I think the main issue is the power. I don't want to have wires hanging all over the place and my mp3 player only runs about an hour before it needs a recharge.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:20 AM
dmcgibbo

what needs to happen is all stock cd players should have universal plugs so that you can plug in modules to it. for instance, if you could plug in a module that handles mp3's or a module that decodes dvd, cd-r, etc. you would have a fully upgradeable stereo. haha that will never happen. i just wish mp3 functionality was in stock stereos. if i upgrade the stock stereo, the stuff i want to upgrade it with i can't afford but i don't want the stock stereo as it is so i'm in a bind. it just seems that car companies who are looking for profits however they can get them would have capitalized on the audio/video portion of cars. trd, nismo, mopar, etc. make a lot of money and i don't see why nissan doesn't also have agreements to offer sound and vision options. the biggest obstacle to upgrades in cars is factory warranty, installation cost and difficulty, factory look, etc...

how do people upgrade stereos in the infiniti g35? it looks like the dash plate over the stereo is all in one piece. it would look horrible if you put in a 1din thing...
Old 01-31-2003, 01:45 PM
qirex

ahem..192kbit is the same whether on an ipod or a cd...

I have an ipod and a tape adapter, which works great but theres that cord issue.

Foir $30 you can get an FM modulator that plugs into your ipod. You wont get any dancing lights on your HU, but you can simply leave the ipod in the center compartement and let your 190 song list bump...

BTW - i agree that aftermarket HU for the most part look ***.