Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DB 2006 Base Stereo upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Sullyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DB 2006 Base Stereo upgrade???

Well, I have 900 miles on the Z and My wife and I agree the original stereo/speakers must go. I don't have the time to do it myself, I'm looking for an aftermarket stereo to be installed. I have a Tweeters, Best Buy, and a Circuit City nearby. Any suggestions, I'm looking for a mid range priced unit that can be easily installed. I'm not looking for the pumping base (Subs), I'm looking a better overall sound. Or, do I just need new speakers?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:59 AM
Moreorles

I would look at a new head unit and speakers. In my experience, independent shops do a better job for a better price then best buy, circuit city, etc. Althought the Tweeters in my town is known for good work.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Sullyz

Default Stereo Upgrade

Thanks, I'll call Tweeters this AM. SullyZ
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 AM
06blueZ

For now, I dont think you will be very happy with the install, because there is no install kit for the dash yet. they changed the design of the radio face for 06, and there is no install kit out yet. the older kits dont fit very good, and you will just want it redone once the 06 kit comes out. Thats what Im waiting for, do it right and do it once...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Hypnoz

I'd suggest elemental designs. Pick up some eDi 6000's, a nine.2 amp to power them (Total for both is $289). Then find a head unit you like (that has all the features you need).

Then find a competent installer that knows what their doing. That is the hardest part. Never go to Best Buy/Circuit City for installs. They are complete crap. Make sure you get your doors deadened (mat deadening plus closed cell foam), I would also suggest MDF rings to mount the speakers on (most installers can do this, and so could eD if you wanted).
Old 03-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Sullyz

Default Stereo Upgrade '06

Thanks for the advice. Today I went to Tweeters and they tried to sell me new speakers. Circuit City tried to sell me an amp to start with, and a follow up with speakers. I'll wait and keep looking for the '06 face kit. Thanks, SullyZ
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
rolling

i totally agree !!

stock stero sounds like CRAP!!! minimal bass/ tone, low power, no extras, extremely basic (bass / treble) only but i cant put my AVN touchscreen in untill the have new face kit AND something to make steering wheel controls work with it.

uhh...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
misterite

I grew tired of waiting for the 06 dash kit, so I went ahead and installed my kenwood excelon head unit. I was aprehensive about the look at first but the sound performance difference has made the eyesore worth it. Feels like I was wearing ear muffs before. I haven't changed the speakers yet. I notice that the stock front speakers are way better than the back ones.

I tell ya, it was fun installing that stereo and now that I have done it, it takes me no more than 10 min to remove the dash. I was scared to do myself at first, but the dash comes apart real easy.

If any of you are planning to install yourself, I say do it now....the sound is worth it. Also, It'll give you a chance to get aquainted with tearing the dash apart (believe me, it isn't that hard) a As far as the dash bezzle kit, Tony, over at Perf Nissan, tells me that there will not be a kit available till late may or june.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

switch the head unit out first...

You will either want more or you will be satisfied. Either way you will have spent way less than a whole system.

I suggest a double din head unit... AVX series or Kenwood's double din.

If that just isnt enough... add a small sub.

If that isnt enough... add componets in the front

If that isnt enough... put an amp on those

If that isnt enough upgrade the componets...

I think you get the idea...
Old 04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by misterite
I grew tired of waiting for the 06 dash kit, so I went ahead and installed my kenwood excelon head unit. I was aprehensive about the look at first but the sound performance difference has made the eyesore worth it. Feels like I was wearing ear muffs before. I haven't changed the speakers yet. I notice that the stock front speakers are way better than the back ones.

I tell ya, it was fun installing that stereo and now that I have done it, it takes me no more than 10 min to remove the dash. I was scared to do myself at first, but the dash comes apart real easy.

If any of you are planning to install yourself, I say do it now....the sound is worth it. Also, It'll give you a chance to get aquainted with tearing the dash apart (believe me, it isn't that hard) a As far as the dash bezzle kit, Tony, over at Perf Nissan, tells me that there will not be a kit available till late may or june.

Good luck
how did you remove the center console?

what did you do with the steeringwheel controls?

i cant wait to get mine back in!! i missit!

thnks
Old 04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
zerosktz

Question

hey misterite, could you please post a picture of your head unit? i myself am thinking about installing a pioneer head unit with the ipod adapter, (radio sucks) but i'm not sure if i should wait for the 06 dash kit... so could you post a pic of yours to help me decide? lol by the way are pioneer head units any good? i believe the one i might get is the DEH-P6800MP.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
misterite

Originally Posted by rolling
how did you remove the center console?
what did you do with the steeringwheel controls?
i cant wait to get mine back in!! i missit!
thnks
morpheus has a great link with a number of walk throughs on it one of them is for the dash...

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/

I bought a base model z...sorry, don't like wheel controls personaly.
but you can get a little box that converts the steering wheel controls to work with just about any Head unit.

heres a step by step on the steering wheel....

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77855.com

good luck

Robt.W.

Last edited by misterite; 04-10-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:49 PM
misterite

Originally Posted by zerosktz
hey misterite, could you please post a picture of your head unit? i myself am thinking about installing a pioneer head unit with the ipod adapter, (radio sucks) but i'm not sure if i should wait for the 06 dash kit... so could you post a pic of yours to help me decide? lol by the way are pioneer head units any good? i believe the one i might get is the DEH-P6800MP.
I don't have a pic with me here at work, but I will take one tonight and post tomarrow.

As far as Pioneer...I would have gone that way but due to certain circumstances i was forced to buy a Kenwood. Pioneer has really upgraded their systems as of late. Don't get me wrong, the kenwood sounds GREAT but the interface is not as slick as the Pioneer. In reality, you will not go wrong with either.

Look tomarrow for the pic.

Robt.W.

Last edited by misterite; 04-19-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Zincognito

Where would you find the box needed for the steering wheel controls??

G
Old 04-10-2006, 03:12 PM
rolling

misterite thanks for the links!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:51 PM
oldbutfast

Just a bit of warning 06 use the mute and volume control for some of the diagnostic tests, ya can have codes if there not there. Read about this, gotta find where I read this is service manual or consult-II manual. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my base model to enthusiast. So I'm sure ill run across the statement again. In the 06 the 3 computer systems know about every thing ya turn off or on and all talk to the ecm so don't be surprised if ya get a code if ya change anything. but the nice thing I've found is all the wiring is all in the main harness. May be some of the sub harnesses might be missing, but haven't found any missing yet. I'm sure enough that adding the cruse control and audio switches to steering wheel and ascd brake,ascd clutch switches. Will prob cause codes for me hoping to upgrade the ecm to enthusiast ecm and prob will have to do the mirror home link and the TCS upgrades. This is a state of the art computer system and I don't think Nissan is stupid enough just to let you add the feature's with out reprogramming the ecm which is only done by the Vin #. I'm starting by adding the cruise control and audio steering controls. I will wright about this when completed working model, parts will be in early next week. Also they said they would void my warranty for doing this even if I use all their factory parts. This realy sucks of Nissan they should be willing to make a coustomer happy and add anything thats factory. The funny thing is the car computer will tell me what wrong with the system, or atleast I hope.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:54 AM
CaliforniaZman

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
For now, I dont think you will be very happy with the install, because there is no install kit for the dash yet. they changed the design of the radio face for 06, and there is no install kit out yet. the older kits dont fit very good, and you will just want it redone once the 06 kit comes out. Thats what Im waiting for, do it right and do it once...

Is there an install kit for the dash now for the 06?