Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

FINALLY finished stereo upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 PM
ericsartoris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile FINALLY finished stereo upgrade!

Wow. I finally pulled the trigger and changed out my entire stereo system. After months of research and weeks of collecting components, it's all installed and ready to rock. What an incredible difference! I didn't take photos, because you've all seen these components in other installs. Besides, photos of sound systems don't help. You need to HEAR them, not see them!

I opted for an invisible system anyway. The only new thing you can see is the head unit, which is the Sony WX7700MDX. It looks more "stock" than the stock Bose HU, if that makes any sense.

I used Nazar's door pods, vinyled in black, so they also look like part of the stock doors. The CDT Audio EF-61CF component speakers are light-years better than the stock speakers I took out. There's a JL Audio 10W3V2 subwoofer in the stock location behind my seat, in a custom-built box. (I'm in a roadster, which limited my sub installation options.) I've got two amps mounted vertically in the tiny trunk space...Memphis Audio 75x2 for the fronts and another Memphis 250x1 for the sub. I retired the rear speakers.

The entire cabin was soundproofed: doors, floors, firewall and behind the seats. That alone made a HUGE sonic difference. The car sounds better now even with the stereo off! I never knew how important sound deadening would be. I can't believe I waited so long to get this done.

As a final touch, I ran a standard iPod-compatible cable from the AUX input of the WX7700-MDX under the center console and up into my cup-holder/center storage cubby. That'll sound MUCH better when I actually get an iPod to hook up to it, but I figured I'd better do it while the dash was off. It's a $5 iPod hookup...not very elegant, but VERY workable.

Anyway, for those of you who are still contemplating your stereo upgrade options, my advice is JUST DO IT. I should have done it LAST summer.

But now my convertible is ready for THIS summer. Coolness.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 PM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, Now post some PICS!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
changsw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet dude. I have a ZR as well and I was looking for a system setup. Sounds like you went all out w/ sound proofing and everything. Good choice of head unit, I looked it up, looks pretty good. Those circular things on the head unit match all the other pods and gauges that are circular in the car.

Contrary to most people's opinion, I think the stock Bose stereo sounds fine, it's just that the sub is weak. I like to feel the bass curdle my blood, the stock one just doesn't do it. I know the stock Bose system should sound a little better, but sports cars don't need a super system. If anything, I want to get a new sub woofer with like an external amp or something. I think Alpine makes these external amp things that make your stock system sound better, or so they claim. I'm reluctant to change the stock head unit because I don't think any aftermarket head units will look like it came with the car. The Sony WX7700MDX does look pretty good. Maybe you can post some pics of the head unit. I'd like to see how "fit" it looks with the rest of your interior. Thanks and congrats.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
ericsartoris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to get a good photo of the WX7700-MDX as it looks in my dash. It's a SEAMLESS fit. I was worried because I saw another photo somewhere in this forum where it didn't look like a good fit. It looked almost sloppy. But with the Nissan factory double-DIN bracket I order from Japan, this baby looks like it is part of the car.

And the sound! Wow!