Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Kenwood DDX-6019 double din HU, KNA-G510 Nav, And Something Extra Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 AM
mandm177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that youre running the Nav and DVD at the same time, but is it possible to:

1-Run Nav on the cubby screen, dvd on the main unit?
2-Run Nav on the cubby screen, and control CD's on the main unit?
3-Play DVDs on the cubby screen, CD's on the main unit?

im guessing that the Farenheit screen isnt a touch screen, so you might not be able to run the Nav on it, right?

sorry for all the quesitons
Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Love the faux-face plate. You definitely took it a step further with the magnets.

How well does that stick?

Oh and the trim around the HU.... is that the same part number as the one for the DDx7015?
The magnets are pretty strong despite their small size. I initially used magnets on the top 2 corners, and the faceplate cover would stick but easily fall off. With all 4 corners, the cover will not easily fall off even if you tap the center console. Also it is still easily removed. if place the magnets correctly, you really don't even have to adjust the position when you put the cover on.

It is a Metra kit, I think that's what most people used for the DDX7015. Really fits well.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:22 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by LSUturbotiger
All that great work and you still have the mismatched cubby door. I switched my door skin from the 03 to my 05 and it came out perfect. Took me about 2 hours. I will post some pics later, but if you are interested I can give you the highlights. its pretty straightforward.

I am not meaning to criticize, as your install looks really outstanding, but I could not live with that off color doorskin.
Don't mind your comments at all!!! In fact I really want to match the cubby cover color to the rest of the dash. I even thought about painting but was worried about the durability of the paint.

I would appreciate any info you can provide some details on how I can switch the cover skins. I looked at the door assemblies before and they did not look exactly the same. What tools/glue did you use? Would be great if you can post some pics. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:29 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by mandm177
I see that youre running the Nav and DVD at the same time, but is it possible to:

1-Run Nav on the cubby screen, dvd on the main unit?
2-Run Nav on the cubby screen, and control CD's on the main unit?
3-Play DVDs on the cubby screen, CD's on the main unit?

im guessing that the Farenheit screen isnt a touch screen, so you might not be able to run the Nav on it, right?

sorry for all the quesitons
1. No. I can't output the Kenwood Nav to the cubby screen which runs off the headunit's AV video out.

2. No. Same reason as 1.

3. Yes. The headunit only has one CD/DVD drive. You can play DVD to the cubby screen and use a changer for the CD audio. Alternatively you can reroute a video signal (e.g. external dvd player or Xbox) coming into the headunit's video input and output to the cubby screen, and still play music from the headunit.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:07 AM
mandm177

thanks for the answers, i think youve sold me on this headunit! btw, if you dont mind, how much and where did you buy the unit and nav from?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
billiken83

Talking

Just got my z a few weeks ago..... i love what you did with that cover....i am wondering if you could post how you did that, not in perfect detail but with enough to get the job done? I live in a townhome complex so covering up like that would be great. Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 AM
NYC_G35C

gt3, can you take pics of some of the other menu screens on the 6019 (sat radio, FM radio, etc). just trying to get a feel for what the operating system on this thing is like.

also, does it have built in audio controls? (crossover, EQ, etc)
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by billiken83
Just got my z a few weeks ago..... i love what you did with that cover....i am wondering if you could post how you did that, not in perfect detail but with enough to get the job done? I live in a townhome complex so covering up like that would be great. Thanks
It is actually pretty simple if you are good with a dremel. I did not take any pics along the way. I am picking another OEM radio this weekend so I will try to post some instructions.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:13 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by NYC_G35C
gt3, can you take pics of some of the other menu screens on the 6019 (sat radio, FM radio, etc). just trying to get a feel for what the operating system on this thing is like.

also, does it have built in audio controls? (crossover, EQ, etc)
No problem. I will take some additional pics of the menus. I feel the menus are too plain. Also, it is too bad that I cannot use a custom wallpaper. It does have crossovers for the front, rear, and subwoofer outputs. Also, it has Kenwood's system Q EX Eq which is a parametric eq found in the other higher end units.

Last edited by gt3; 04-24-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by mandm177
thanks for the answers, i think youve sold me on this headunit! btw, if you dont mind, how much and where did you buy the unit and nav from?
Got it on ebay for less than 1300 shipped. I believe the prices are even lower now . PM me if you want the vendor's name.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the out-of-the-box thinking.

I too was worried about theft so I kept mine as low keyed as possible. I didn't do the double DIN screen as it would be harder to hide ... but then I was thinking inside the box.

Brilliant!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I like the out-of-the-box thinking.

I too was worried about theft so I kept mine as low keyed as possible. I didn't do the double DIN screen as it would be harder to hide ... but then I was thinking inside the box.

Brilliant!

Thank you Paul for the response...coming from you, it means a lot because I have always admired your methodical style and found your posts to be extremely helpful
Old 04-24-2006, 04:39 AM
lololepro

GREAT job... Did you destroy your old HU or did you order a new the faceplate? I would love to do something like this but when I sell the car the Bose is going back in so I can't mess with it...
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by lololepro
GREAT job... Did you destroy your old HU or did you order a new the faceplate? I would love to do something like this but when I sell the car the Bose is going back in so I can't mess with it...
Yep, my oem radio is finished. Try to pick up a non Bose radio on the forum here or ebay. You should be able to get one relatively inexpensively. It a small investment imo. This way you keep your more valuable Bose unit for later.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:19 PM
xziteme

Nice work GT3. I've been looking to upgrade my non-Bose stereo for a long time but I didn't want to mess up the stock look. A single din h/u looked incomplete and a double din was too flashy. Your faux faceplate fits the bill. Now I can order my Eclipse AVN5435 or Kenwood DDX7017 and find someone who can make a faux faceplate!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:52 PM
GQ 350z

Dunno how I missed this, but sick *** install!

Whats been up my long lost asian brother HAHHA?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
MRMDFY

I did the fake faceplate thing about 9 years ago when I had a big stereo and no alarm. Covering my Eclipse 5303R was a factory Honda Accord tapedeck. I even cut 1/3 of a cassette tape off with a cut-off wheel and hotglued it in the tape socket from the back. Lent that extra touch of "don't bother with this hoopty" class.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MRMDFY
I did the fake faceplate thing about 9 years ago when I had a big stereo and no alarm. Covering my Eclipse 5303R was a factory Honda Accord tapedeck. I even cut 1/3 of a cassette tape off with a cut-off wheel and hotglued it in the tape socket from the back. Lent that extra touch of "don't bother with this hoopty" class.
Wow someone else who had a 5303R. This was the unit that put Eclipse on the map. I also had one of those. I also had the 5303 which I replaced with the 5303R. That was an awesome deck.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:19 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Dunno how I missed this, but sick *** install!

Whats been up my long lost asian brother HAHHA?
Whats up GQ!!! While you and BashaZ been busy spicing up your exterior, I've hard at work dressing up my ICE!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM
hobotown

That is one cool install!! Great job!!

Quick Reply: New Kenwood DDX-6019 double din HU, KNA-G510 Nav, And Something Extra Installed!!!