Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer NAVIGATION BLOWS ^*&)_!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pioneer NAVIGATION BLOWS ^*&)_!!!

OK I have a pioneer AVIC-D2 and I hate this thing. I always stayed away from cheap car electronics but I made the huge mistake to go with pioneer for my navi and I have to say this thing sucks huge floppy donkey dong.
Its slow, the graphics are cheap, sound quality is terrible, no dvd playback, no remote control, and worst of all, I can't find 60% of the addresses I look for and BELIEVE you me, I know how to search.

This thing won't show roads that have been built over 2 and 3 yrs ago!!!
What the hell???

is there an update I can buy?? This unit is pathetic. DAMN PIONEER!!!!

Keep this in mind:

PIoneer is only good for home audio but definitely not for vehicle.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.

I have the AVIC-N2 and couldn't disagree with any of your post more. I have none of the problems that you have.

1. The navigation is accurate enough that I can see where some days I've parked my car on the left or right side of the tiny parking lot at work. When I tilt the wheels at a stop light coming to a left hand turn it tilts the map. At highway speeds it keeps right up with me. 8-channels of GPS probably gives you accuracy within 5-8 feet, if you can't find your way from 5 feet away you need a longer cane.

- The only times I've had issues with the thing is when I'm running around under a road in Los Angeles where occassionally the unit can't tell if I'm on the top or bottom road. As soon as I drive 50 feet (a couple car lengths) the thing gets the road right.

- It doesn't understand the reverable lanes of the 15 freeway between Escondito and San Diego right away and gives me the off route warning before figuring them out.

- When the unit was brand new it wouldn't follow exactly down the road. I used the included calibration offset to get the thing directly on the right-hand side of the road.

2. Cheap graphics. Whatever, they look equal to the two Garmin GPS systems I own. There is some amount of detail on the screen that can't be used by someone driving down the road that would be missed by someone parked making a detailed study of the screen. The 6.5" screen's resolution is fine, I can remeasure it using my Avia home theater disk but I don't doubt that it's 1440 x 234 pixels.

- My earthmate GPS connected into a dedicated laptop with a 10.5" screen. The size of the laptop's screen and the extra horse power of an Intel Pentium processor gave the software the ability to display more clutter on the screen. I would toggle down the number of items shown to those needed while driving to make the map easier to read.

3. Sound quality. 48 Khz samping, 24 bit, 97 dB resolution, 0.008% distortion is better than most home stereo systems. You understand that about 95% of the sound quality is your speakers, amplifiers, accoustic treatments, mounting, and the speakers location right? I don't have "golden ears" but know that my car's system is wonderful ... and have real time equalizer charts to match those observations as measured a couple of weeks ago with a lab microphone.

4. DVD playback. Yes mine plays DVDs just fine - in park as designed and as required by laws in most states. Mine also plays while moving following an "adjustment" but I will never watch a movie while driving ... that's just plain stupid and nutz while driving the nation's most busy streets and highways.

5. Remote control. My N2 has two: both audible remote and an IR remote on the steering wheel ... if I can't reach the dashboard I just use my thumb to adjust the volume, jump tracks or CDs, and zoom around the map. It was a $40 extra purchase. I tap a button and can talk to system to route to a location. (CD-SR11 and CD-R5)

6. Can't find addresses. Oddly enough Pioneer isn't in the mapping data business and they get their mapping data from the same guys that Garmin, Magellan, and the rest of the GIS companies use. If you're searching for an address that was created after the units data was published it does have difficulties. Here in SoCal they're building streets and homes at amazing speeds. My map disk does have sub-divisions that were built in the year prior to my purchase. They could build-in some sort of 802.11g WiFi abilities to download updates into non volitable RAM for your areas ... probably next generation.

- If I'm routing to a brand-new sub-division I ask for the nearest cross streets and get turn-by-turn directions from there.

- I have noticed some roads that aren't in the database but they're also missing from my Garmin Earthmate and iQue as well.

- I have been amazed by the goat trails that are in the data base. I took the Z off road in the desert last year for some beauty shots against the desert which was in bloom at the time. The one lane dirt trail was on the map.

7. Updates. Are available. The manual gives you the procedures. E-bay is a pretty good source for the disks at a discounted price.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:25 AM
dedmoonstears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are you sure?

have the older models and the d2....they all work GREAT

did you buy a refurb or ebay or something...i think your missing parts ...or just got ****ed in installation

Last edited by dedmoonstears; 04-22-2006 at 07:25 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 04-22-2006, 09:01 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he must be one of those super picky people who seems to think that every product desinged must be specifically designed for him and must suit his every need or it sucks...

IMO there is no one that can really touch pioneer espeically when you consider price, in the car in dash nav department.

as for hte older addresses and what not, thats more to do withthe GIS people who are building hte database than pioneer.

b
Old 04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
phoenixtroy

I have the old school N1 and I am more than happy with it. I don't know what you are talking about in your post.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by phoenixtroy
I have the old school N1 and I am more than happy with it. I don't know what you are talking about in your post.
Ditto, same here
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
mlam002

I just purchased and installed my Avic N3 head unit and can say that it was probaly the best aftermarket upgrade.

Load times are kinda slow, but not unbearable..I've been able to find a majority of places on the Nav disc.. so no problem there..

overall..high quality product
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
tecni

You could fool me into believing that you're a spokesman for Pioneer of North America.

Its not complicated to understand and no I'm not an **** retentive person that thinks products should be directly catered to me and flawless.

I'm stating FACTS when I say the darn unit doesn't show ALOT of roads that were built well over a year ago. My brother has the Garmin portable and he finds 99% of his addresses. Plenty of times I've had to ask him to bring his gps coz mine won't find the address.

It doesn't take a genious to know that pioneer is the "civic" of car electronics. They are overall *good* and get the job done (not in my case) and are widely affordable. However, comparing Pioneer to say the eclipse unit or an Alpine PLEASE!!

I've been installing head units, amps, capacitors, signal processors, changers, enclosures, etc since I was 14 yrs old and have a considerable wealth of knowledge and experience with systems that range in all ends of the price spectrum.

No, I don't have ears of gold either but I challenge you to listen to an MB Quart, JL Audio or top of the line Boston Acustics and then compare them to some Momo Polk, Kicker, Orion Kenwood, etc. They are apples and oranges and if you think there's a brand on the second set of brands that I just mentioned that is better than the first set, then you probably favor SPL over sheer sound quality. You're probably the type of guy that would rather put a 12 inch sub over two 8 inch (when two eights of the same kind will always sound better). You're probably the type of guy that never heard of dynamat and if you did, you had to pay someone to install it and if you are this "type of person" its fine by me and I'm glad not all of us appreciate the same things coz this would be one boring @$$ world.

I'm sticking to my story tHat AVIC sucks.
ALpine all the way baby! I mis my CVA-1006!!!

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Wow.

I have the AVIC-N2 and couldn't disagree with any of your post more. I have none of the problems that you have.

1. The navigation is accurate enough that I can see where some days I've parked my car on the left or right side of the tiny parking lot at work. When I tilt the wheels at a stop light coming to a left hand turn it tilts the map. At highway speeds it keeps right up with me. 8-channels of GPS probably gives you accuracy within 5-8 feet, if you can't find your way from 5 feet away you need a longer cane.

- The only times I've had issues with the thing is when I'm running around under a road in Los Angeles where occassionally the unit can't tell if I'm on the top or bottom road. As soon as I drive 50 feet (a couple car lengths) the thing gets the road right.

- It doesn't understand the reverable lanes of the 15 freeway between Escondito and San Diego right away and gives me the off route warning before figuring them out.

- When the unit was brand new it wouldn't follow exactly down the road. I used the included calibration offset to get the thing directly on the right-hand side of the road.

2. Cheap graphics. Whatever, they look equal to the two Garmin GPS systems I own. There is some amount of detail on the screen that can't be used by someone driving down the road that would be missed by someone parked making a detailed study of the screen. The 6.5" screen's resolution is fine, I can remeasure it using my Avia home theater disk but I don't doubt that it's 1440 x 234 pixels.

- My earthmate GPS connected into a dedicated laptop with a 10.5" screen. The size of the laptop's screen and the extra horse power of an Intel Pentium processor gave the software the ability to display more clutter on the screen. I would toggle down the number of items shown to those needed while driving to make the map easier to read.

3. Sound quality. 48 Khz samping, 24 bit, 97 dB resolution, 0.008% distortion is better than most home stereo systems. You understand that about 95% of the sound quality is your speakers, amplifiers, accoustic treatments, mounting, and the speakers location right? I don't have "golden ears" but know that my car's system is wonderful ... and have real time equalizer charts to match those observations as measured a couple of weeks ago with a lab microphone.

4. DVD playback. Yes mine plays DVDs just fine - in park as designed and as required by laws in most states. Mine also plays while moving following an "adjustment" but I will never watch a movie while driving ... that's just plain stupid and nutz while driving the nation's most busy streets and highways.

5. Remote control. My N2 has two: both audible remote and an IR remote on the steering wheel ... if I can't reach the dashboard I just use my thumb to adjust the volume, jump tracks or CDs, and zoom around the map. It was a $40 extra purchase. I tap a button and can talk to system to route to a location. (CD-SR11 and CD-R5)

6. Can't find addresses. Oddly enough Pioneer isn't in the mapping data business and they get their mapping data from the same guys that Garmin, Magellan, and the rest of the GIS companies use. If you're searching for an address that was created after the units data was published it does have difficulties. Here in SoCal they're building streets and homes at amazing speeds. My map disk does have sub-divisions that were built in the year prior to my purchase. They could build-in some sort of 802.11g WiFi abilities to download updates into non volitable RAM for your areas ... probably next generation.

- If I'm routing to a brand-new sub-division I ask for the nearest cross streets and get turn-by-turn directions from there.

- I have noticed some roads that aren't in the database but they're also missing from my Garmin Earthmate and iQue as well.

- I have been amazed by the goat trails that are in the data base. I took the Z off road in the desert last year for some beauty shots against the desert which was in bloom at the time. The one lane dirt trail was on the map.

7. Updates. Are available. The manual gives you the procedures. E-bay is a pretty good source for the disks at a discounted price.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 PM
dream724Z

Thanks for your review. To make that a fair comparison you should have used a 5 year old data base Garmin. GPS-VHUs are a rip off!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by tecni
It doesn't take a genious to know that pioneer is the "civic" of car electronics. They are overall *good* and get the job done (not in my case) and are widely affordable. However, comparing Pioneer to say the eclipse unit or an Alpine PLEASE!!
Are you serious? Have you ever compared them side by side? Why did you buy the civic then? Too cheap are ya

I've been installing head units, amps, capacitors, signal processors, changers, enclosures, etc since I was 14 yrs old and have a considerable wealth of knowledge and experience with systems that range in all ends of the price spectrum.
So if you are so experienced and so well versed in all this ... why did you make the obvious mistake of buying this Civic .. errrr AVIC

You're probably the type of guy that would rather put a 12 inch sub over two 8 inch (when two eights of the same kind will always sound better). You're probably the type of guy that never heard of dynamat and if you did, you had to pay someone to install it and if you are this "type of person" its fine by me and I'm glad not all of us appreciate the same things coz this would be one boring @$$ world.
So Techni ... please ... do explain exactly how two eight will always sound better .... I'd be interested in knowing this....

jim (looks forward to discussing this with you)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:00 PM
tecni

I bought the "civic" because so many ppl on here were praising the AVIC and I fell for it.

Or maybe my cheap self ran out of money after getting...
Greddy TT kit
Greddy intercooler kit
Volk GT7's
Walbro 255
Tein Flex
Blitz SBC-icolor
2 JL amps
1 JL w3 sub
Toyo Proxes T1R's
Greddy evo2
Greddy turbo timer
nismo shift ****
cusco A-arms
stillen camber and toe kits
UTR front lip
Fidanza flywheel
ebc rear rotors
jdm emblems
pauter rods
wiseco pistons
ferrea valves
hotchkis sway bars
greddy oil catch tank
greddy rebreather tank

Smaller subs tend to sound better than larger ones because they move air quicker than larger ones. A lager sub will get you a loud boom but you can't make it play repetitive thumping because it will distort.

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Are you serious? Have you ever compared them side by side? Why did you buy the civic then? Too cheap are ya

So if you are so experienced and so well versed in all this ... why did you make the obvious mistake of buying this Civic .. errrr AVIC

So Techni ... please ... do explain exactly how two eight will always sound better .... I'd be interested in knowing this....

jim (looks forward to discussing this with you)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 PM
JimRHIT

Smaller subs tend to sound better than larger ones because they move air quicker than larger ones. A lager sub will get you a loud boom but you can't make it play repetitive thumping because it will distort.
You could not be more wrong. There is absolutely no truth to that, only many poorly executed subwoofer designs out there that make this theory hold true.

The $$ thing was a joke .. I have seen your car before, hence the
Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 AM
abyss

If Pioneer isn't your taste get the new Eclipse. its $1699 but worth every penny. Saying Pioneer shouldn't be in the car market is obserd though because for years they had some of the best car audio equipment on the market, but because Walmart now sells Pioneer people beleive them to be bottom of the line. (2) 8" subs VS. (1)12" is not gonna result in the 8's dominating. Yea 5+ years ago that would have been true and back then the slow hitters were the 15 inchers and up. Now subs and speakers have come along way, listen to how fast and hard the new 15's and 18's hit when they have the propper power
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Gooey

I dont know. I bought my Avic D-1 with my friends best buy manager discount and received the $300 rebate.

Total spent on my D-1 $629 including tax. With full warranty as i bought from best buy.

Best $629 Ive ever spent in my life. The navi gets the job done
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 AM
suprpwr

Originally Posted by Gooey
I dont know. I bought my Avic D-1 with my friends best buy manager discount and received the $300 rebate.

Total spent on my D-1 $629 including tax. With full warranty as i bought from best buy.

Best $629 Ive ever spent in my life. The navi gets the job done

damn man!, you need to hook me up!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i just want to point out a few things definetly wrong with your comments, to say they are your personal opinion is okay, but to represent them as a fact is uh...

1. pioneer dont have good stuff? lets look at:

pioneer premier reference series of spekares are truly great stuff, and won many a sound quality competitions

pioneer ODR series was for a long time considered a reference in ca raudio products

Pioneer P9 combo was quite good for its day and time

pioneer premier series amps (the ones that look like big candy bars iwth a chrome caps) are some of hte most underrated and clean amps out there.

Team pioneer was one of hte most successful sound quality competition teams around with multiple IASCA and USAC world championships

how a sub's transient response is not determined by its size, its more a factor of:

1. design of the sub: i.e. cone mass, BL etc etc

2. how much power you are powering it with

3. quality of install and tuning

if yo dont believe me, go get a jl 8w7 and power it with 100 watts in a leaky box and compare it with an image dynamics idw15 15" subwoofer in a IB configuration with 500 watts a piece and then mcome back and say which one is "faster"

thats it for me...

i espeically enjoy the long list of your *******...uh..i mean mods...you sure are exemplying the defensive reponse of a immature online poster.

again, its fine to express your opinion that pioneer is bad, but i think within those opinions yo through in there you should include taht YOU yourself was pretty dumb in just going out and buying a unit with out sampling, heck, a simple search on the site would have revealed that it doesnt come with a remote and dont have dvd playback, you didnt even go that far before putting money down on the unit and honestly, you really have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Gooey

if youre willin to trust a stranger with 1000cash you can goto my friend in waldorf, md best buy Jason Proctor. Good guy and ask him to hook you up wtih the D-1...he might not be able to since they stopped making it. But he can get you other audio items at his cost. Hes a good guy to trust. Ive given him over 5000 in cash before and trusted him. Let me know I can always call him up and ask him.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:51 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

there are still plenty of roads built int he last 2-3 years not on the newest disc, but again, this isnt pioneers fault, this is the map GIS peoples fault

b
Old 04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
tecni

Everyone is entitled to thier opinon. and because there are different tastes and different budgets.and that is why manufacturers give us choices. unfortunetly my searches on this site only expressed the pros and not the cons. I hope that this thread will add to the wealth of knowledge that this site holds for other members to see opinions of someone that knows audio choices and ended up getting exactly what he paid for, a cheap unit!

oh and 16psibrick, I'm glad that you enjoyed my shlong...
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
JimRHIT

so it looks like you have brought the Pioneer AVIC units' approval rating down about ~2.5% on these boards

It's a start right?

Quick Reply: Pioneer NAVIGATION BLOWS ^*&)_!!!