Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need some help - blew a fuse maybe more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help - blew a fuse maybe more?

Well I was messing around with a radio install and I believe that I might have reversed the polarity when tapping into the yellow (+12v continuous) and blacck (ground) wires coming from the radio harness. I blew out a fuse that conrolled the lighting on the guages and I thought the radio. I replaced the fuse and I have my gauge lighting back but still no power from the battery or ground.

So right now it appears everything else works correctly but I do not have ground or continuous 12 volt (black and yellow wires from radio harness). I do get accessory power (red).

Any ideas? I suppose I can run a new wire from the battery but is there something easier that I might have overlooked? Is there potentially anything else affected?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes!

You measured ground using an ohm meter and aren't reading ground?

Or

Did you measure between the yellow and black wires with a volt meter and aren't reading a positive 12 volts?

Or

Both?

I'd be willing to bet number 2 - that the ground wire is still functional and you've lost +12 VDC. It's very rare that you'd blow two fuses in series with each other - like I've never heard it done before - but I suppose that it is possible.

The J/B Fuse box (next to the driver's left foot) 15 amp fuse number 6 provides ignition controlled accessory power and on a blue with green stripe wire doesn't feed the triple gauge (red w/white) according to the schematic on page PG 4 of the service manual. It looks like they're fed from 10 amp fuse 19.

Both fuses 17 and 19's circuits are fed from a sub-master 60 amp circuit breaker D.

Battery power is fed from 15 amp fuse 37 located in the fusible link box (under the hood in front of the battery) on a yellow wire. It feeds "DI Clock, AV Audio, and AV Navi" circuits per the manual and not the "DI 3Meter".

Ground is a pain ... I don't want to go there unless I have to! Get back to me in the thread if you have a good fuse 37.

(all colors are Nissan factory Bose colors)