Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DIY Bel 985 Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Qbnmissile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Bel 985 Hardwire Install

So I checked out different detectors and decided on the Bel. I wanted to hardwire it and found only partially useful information on different threads. So here it goes. The install process was wuite easy and took about an hour.

First you gotta decide where you want the radar. I placed mine above the 3 gauge cluster, but originally thought I'd put it below the rearview mirror.

I started by cutting the wiring that came with radar. I cut it about 4 inches short of the connector from the cigarette lighter plug. I left some wire just in case I want to use the plug again.

The fuse box is located on the driver side foot well. Start by removing the foot rest. Remove the 5 screws holding the aluminum plate. There are two screws behinf the plate that hold the footrest in place. I found it easiest to pull the footrest as I loosened these screws. Then remove the 2 nuts holding the carpeting in (one of these is also holding the cover to the fuse box). Then remove the plastic door liner. After that is removed, then you can remove the cover to the fuse box. There are two cilps that hold it place. Use a little bit of force to remove the clips, but not too much.

The white wire is hot and the black is negative. I wrapped the white wire to the cigarette lighter fuse and screwed the black wire into the bottom bolt that secures the entire fuse box in place. I also added in inline fuse to help protect against any power surges (highly recommended elsewhere in this thread).

After the wiring is complete, all you have to do is run the wiring to your destination. For me, I ran it beneath the dash and behind the stereo. For the mirror, run the wire along the door weather-stripping and along the glass/roof liner. Use a credit card to stuff the wire in there.

That's it... Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't add more pics cause I forgot as I installed then put everything back together...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Bel 985 Hardwire Install-dscn0541.jpg  
Old 02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Qbnmissile

First shot of the radar...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Bel 985 Hardwire Install-dscn0542.jpg  
Old 02-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Qbnmissile

Another shot of the radar....
Attached Thumbnails DIY Bel 985 Hardwire Install-dscn0543.jpg  
Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Y not have it higher in the car... better radar reception

Looks nice though
Old 02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Qbnmissile

Originally posted by jtree007
Y not have it higher in the car... better radar reception

Looks nice though
Both the front and rear sensors have completely unobstructed views. No problems yet (knock on wood). Any higher and it gets in the way of seeing out of the windshield (can't help that one, I'm short)... I tried the mirror, but then the rear sensor couldn't "see" out the back...