Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

$0.20 Bose Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 PM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after following the steps in the TSB... i can't really tell the diff in bass!!! i don't think my radio is going up and down rapidly with over bass.... i did notice the volume going up when i open the window... but normally my window is closed and did not notice too much problem...

i've also moved my seat back forward some whenever i really want to listen to tunes... that seems to really improve the sound.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:08 PM
LeMansZCa

finally understood the VIN number... my Z came with the new amp.... sorry!

I would suggest people to look at the last 5 digit on the VIN and make sure they are below 5616(auto) and 4720(manual)

Now my bass setting is -1, treble +2, fade RR2 and balance R1... driver seat back slightly forward.... it sounds pretty good!!!
I listen to mostly hip hop and old rock....
Old 02-15-2003, 09:40 AM
KJ-350

I did the swap this morning around 9 and have been running around all afternoon only listening the Radio since that's where the biggest problem is with the audio pilot! I didn't have to touch the volume or bass once after I set it! That is the best $1.00 (literally) I think I have ever spent! Took about 20-25 mins do b/c I soldered little tips on the ends so they would stay / fit in the clip alot better and then heat wrapped the end to secure it.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:47 PM
abz123

Still going well for you guys?

Didn't get around to it Sunday.

Did the kick panel come off pretty easy?

Does it matter which way the resister is inserted?

Last edited by abz123; 02-17-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:18 PM
redz32/bluez33

Thumbs up The man is a genius!

Thank you, Guy Szita, for making my car liveable. First I get your earthing kit, which makes my car run and shift better, and now, you make it so my p.o.s. Blose system doesn't drive me up the wall with it's damned Clod-io Pilot. I should add, the previously undefeatable clodio pilot. I didn't want to have to rip the whole thing out and lose my nav audio, and now I think I can live with it, since it isn't adjusting the volume for me anymore.
The only difficult parts for me were removing the column under cover, and reaching the plastic nut behind the foot rest. The cover just didn't want to snap free, and I had to really finesse it to get it off without breaking the cheesy tabs that guide it in. And I don't recall if you mentioned the nut behind the foot rest-I guess it would be easier to not bother with it and just pull the foot well finisher away toward the front to access the screw, but as I took my instructions from the service manual, I did remove the darned thing. No big deal. Also, did you mention peeling back the trim strip that finishes the kick plate in order to free the edge of the foot well finisher? I don't recall seeing that. But hey, it only took me 20 minutes to do the whole thing, and I happened to have the 1K resistor already, so I didn't even have to go anywhere. Also, I just left the mic in there-Why remove it, when it's bolted in so well I figure. It's not gonna matter one way or the other. Plus I shrink tubed the whole plug/resistor ***'y to prevent what happened to you, the fall out. Also, I at first doubled the leads like you suggested, but couldn't fit them in the holes, so I snipped them off and went in single. They fit plenty snug, and with the shrink, nothing's gonna move.
Once again, thanks for the tip. The self-adjusting volume was the only really bothersome thing left with the car. Now I am a very satisfied customer.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:37 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so what this mod basically does is make ur bose loud all the time? and what is this about going to the dealer for a new amp?! im confused someone please clear up with this mod actually does thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Iceman02

Bose has a system called AudioPilot which uses a microphone mounted underneath the steering column to monitor indoor "noise" and to automatically "optimize" the sound according to the reading done by the mic. In theory it looks good but it's not working. The sound is fluctuating like crazy and you cannot keep your manual settings.

With the above proposed fix, you remove the mic and the resistor simply level out the reading. Then, you can manually adjust the radio like you wish and the settings will be kept.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:28 AM
BillR

I am wondering if this mod will work on a G35C?

I test drove the Z and I agree that the Bose system is absolutely horrible. The system on the G35C is way better sounding but still could use some improvment.

On my Bose radio there is an adjustment for adjusting the SVC to low, mid, or high. I wonder if the Z has the same?

I haven't had the car long enough to see what audio changes this makes. My CD's sound ok, but the radio sound is crap!

Anyone heard/tried this mod on a G35??
Old 03-01-2003, 06:30 AM
grebmohr

Cool

insaneamine is the boss!

Just did Mine!!

So far so good... I have a three hour drive to test on today. But as far as I can tell it is a 100% improvement in sound quality in addition to no more "schizo" EQ changes while driving.

I will add one step to your column under housing removal step.
Before pulling the cover down, remove the Ignition switch trim ring. this will give you a little more room around the switch to make "popping" the panel easier.

I am going into the mic monday to see if I can make a stepping switch to give control of the system w/ an off and a few levels of adjustment. I was doubtful about this before but since the resistor worked so well, I may be able to pull it off. I plan on trying to step the gain circuit and allow the system to function normally but with sensitivity control.

I will keep this thread informed as this is probably the best fix-- What should have been from the factory.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:33 AM
abz123

Are you pre TSB audio pilot amp fix too?

Originally posted by grebmohr

insaneamine is the boss!

Just did Mine!!

So far so good... I have a three hour drive to test on today. But as far as I can tell it is a 100% improvement in sound quality in addition to no more "schizo" EQ changes while driving.

I will add one step to your column under housing removal step.
Before pulling the cover down, remove the Ignition switch trim ring. this will give you a little more room around the switch to make "popping" the panel easier.

I am going into the mic monday to see if I can make a stepping switch to give control of the system w/ an off and a few levels of adjustment. I was doubtful about this before but since the resistor worked so well, I may be able to pull it off. I plan on trying to step the gain circuit and allow the system to function normally but with sensitivity control.

I will keep this thread informed as this is probably the best fix-- What should have been from the factory.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:56 PM
insaneamine
Inventor
Z-Xtreme.com

Default Feedback.

Glad to see some more people trying this mod. I have been waiting for some feedback.

grebmohr - looks like you have a great idea with the step gain circuit. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Street Sports

Originally posted by abz123

Does it matter which way the resister is inserted?
A resistor can be used in either direction. It will not make a difference. It will work the same regardless of orientation.

Shawn @ Street Sports
Old 03-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Street Sports

For anyone that does not have much experience with electronics, make sure that you insulate the resistor to prevent any possible short circuit from the legs of the resistor touching any other metal. Keep in mind that down the road, others may be inside of the panel to make a diagnosis or repair, and you might forget this fix and/or be unaware that they need to access behind this panel even if you did remember. A technician might accidentally hit it with a metal tool. Heat shrink or Scotch 33+ electrical tape would be best for this.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:09 PM
grebmohr

I have s/n 9966 so I am post- I think but all bose amps are speced to the fix so we are all suffering.

After long drive testing I find the sound to more natural in the bass area. Also bass control has some extra effect now. I don't really know why but some CD's have slightly harser Mid range. maybe I am just hearing it for the first time. A simple fix would be to put in some nicer speakers but then you got the freaky Blose god awful ohm ratings to matchup/deal with.

I think I am finally getting full power from the system. I may be wrong but the symptoms seem to indicate that the system uses a power reserve to boost EQ rather that let you have full power?? ideas-thoughts?

All in all an excellent fix(i'm leaving it in!) and a super job of bloodhound style track down work by the TS here. Also the FBI can't use my mic to listen into my car any more! HA :-)

I will keep informed on the adjustable fix based on the resistor method.

ps anyone know why Nissan is making the new maxima look like a Cadillac? Snow plow look is not that flattering....

GL
keep the greasy side down!

Last edited by grebmohr; 03-02-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:02 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I will do this tomorrow AM...

will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again, Insane!
Old 03-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Them Bones

Default Also wondering about the G35!

Originally posted by BillR
I am wondering if this mod will work on a G35C?

I test drove the Z and I agree that the Bose system is absolutely horrible. The system on the G35C is way better sounding but still could use some improvment.

On my Bose radio there is an adjustment for adjusting the SVC to low, mid, or high. I wonder if the Z has the same?

I haven't had the car long enough to see what audio changes this makes. My CD's sound ok, but the radio sound is crap!

Anyone heard/tried this mod on a G35??
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't know if the G35 has the same mic, but I'm going to check.

The SVC just adjusts the volume with the speed of the car. It has nothing to do with the frequency response.

I've seen several posts on G35 boards stating that the sound was greatly improved by doing nothing more than replacing the Bose amp in the trunk.

My biggest problem with the Bose in the G35C is the lack of treble. What does Bose have against treble?

-TB
Old 03-08-2003, 05:36 PM
BillR

Default Re: Also wondering about the G35!

Originally posted by Them Bones
I've seen several posts on G35 boards stating that the sound was greatly improved by doing nothing more than replacing the Bose amp in the trunk.

My biggest problem with the Bose in the G35C is the lack of treble. What does Bose have against treble?

-TB
I've not seen anything about the G35C amp. Can you direct me please?
I agree, the treble needs another 3 to 6db improvement.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:24 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must report, with great disappoinment, that this mod did not fix my BLOSE on my July '02 build Touring Z.

I tried the mod this evening following insaneamine's excellent instructions. I had disconneted the mic in the past so I was familiar with the operation. I triple folded the resistor posts to get a nice snug fit, inserted it and began to experiment.

One CD I've NEVER been able to play in the Z is Slipknot's IOWA. As a true determination of whether this fix would work, I popped in the CD and cranked the volume. It was AMAZING. Loud, clear and the sub was HITTING like a motherf**ker! "Kickass!" I said, hoping that the days of shitty stereo were soon over. I then tested two other CDs, Rush's Greatest Hits - 1974-1987 and Swervedriver's Raise. This is where it all went downhill. On the latter two discs, the system started to drop the mids and treble with very staccato-like bursts of volume, not the gradual rise and fall experienced in the past. I checked and double-checked the connection with the resistor changing it out three times to make sure it wasn't my fault. It wasn't. One CD out of six sounds IN-F**KING-CREDIBLE and the rest sucked.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Deb

Default Equalizer & Speakers

Wife's new PPW Touring 5AT has none of the problems I've read about - so far (and I am knocking on wood!). With that said, the Bose system, while not the problem child some report, is not the greatest. I'm an old s.o.b. and not up-to-date on all the mega-sized systems that are going into cars these days. What I do know is:

Car interiors are problems for good sound due to poor speaker placement (design driven), poor accoustics and poor listener position. The problem I have with this system is the inability to adjust requency in a more specific way. Has anyone added an active or a passive equalizer to this system? I believe that would help along with a better high frequency tweeter array (there's a name for these little creatures but it escapes me now). I've thought about putting the equalizer in the space used to house the nav system. Anyone looked into this??

BTW - I play more blues, jazz and classical than I do rap, rock and country - but I do listen to all.

Deb's Other Half (DOH)
Old 03-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Street Sports

Default Re: Also wondering about the G35!

Originally posted by Them Bones

-TB
No highs....no lows.....must be BOSE!

Quick Reply: $0.20 Bose Fix!