Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

$0.20 Bose Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:11 PM
myz8a4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, this thread was brought back to life. i rememebr reading it when i 1st bought my z esrlier this year(purchased mine used-03 touring SB).........anyways, my bose system sounds pretty good so im assuming my amp is fine. i do notice the volume changes from the audiopilot but my bass & treble settings always stay where i set them. does anyone think i would gain from the resistor fix? basically it would just stop the audiopilot fom adjusting the volume under different noise conditions correct? will it effect my bass or treble?

-justin
Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i finally did the "20 cent resistor" mod to the audiopilot mic.

it does work... the difference is night and day. put the resistor on, turn on the car, listen... then i took it off and attached the mic, listened to the same cd track... make no mistake, the difference is obvious.

basically with the resistor mod, it seemed like the stereo's complete dynamic range is restored.. before i used to have my treble and bass at full +5 and fade at FR2. after the mod, at the same setting the audio sounds freaking boomy and the sub gets a lil more punch in the bass. so i had to change my settings to FR1 and +5 treble and +3 or +4 bass. i like this mod because now i can control my treble and bass EQ with kind of a wider range -- gives me more flexibility. definitely the sub soudns much more punchy than before.

now i think i dont need to buy another sub -- and just stick in my infinity kappas. should make the stereo acceptable for stock.

Last edited by jkoc; 05-11-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by insaneamine

IT WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRENTY TOWARDS ANY STEREO RELATED CLAIMS!
Why? Just remove it before you take it in for a claim.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 PM
tienlo

I did it yesterday. It sounds good if you pretend there's no subwoofer :P
noticeable difference.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 AM
svenw

I guess now this thread is prime time for those of us who are buying these as used cars

Just got a pre-TSB Z with 36,100 miles on it and, sadly, Nissan rejected replacing the amp under warranty (the dealer even tried 3 different "goodwil" program approaches). Why the original owners never replaced it is beyond me, but it looks like for now at least I am stuck with the old amp (a letter to Nissan hq yielded no response).

The above rant aside, I tried the fix (gotta love the internet and it's archive of sometimes really useful information) and it definitely eliminated the volume fluctuation -- almost. What I find is that most of the bass has disappeared so I adjust the bass level up to be livable. After about 10-15 minutes (either idle or driving) all of a sudden all hell breaks loose as the bass kicks in deafingly loud. After setting the bass to -2 the system actually sounds [relatively] decent. Of course once I turn off the engine and then start it up later, we are back to no bass, etc.

Any ideas on this one? Or any ideas on how to get Nissan and/or Bose to ante up for a new system for this car just days out of warranty?

In case I didn't mention it -- thanks for the great tip (hopefully I can figure out how to get it working 100% the way I would like).

Sven
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

svenw if you're looking for a stock four channel or one channel (subwoofer) amplifier I'm sure there are plenty of people with them sitting in their garage. I don't think I can find mine as it's so darn small.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
bleunetizen

Originally Posted by svenw
I guess now this thread is prime time for those of us who are buying these as used cars

Just got a pre-TSB Z with 36,100 miles on it and, sadly, Nissan rejected replacing the amp under warranty (the dealer even tried 3 different "goodwil" program approaches). Why the original owners never replaced it is beyond me, but it looks like for now at least I am stuck with the old amp (a letter to Nissan hq yielded no response).

The above rant aside, I tried the fix (gotta love the internet and it's archive of sometimes really useful information) and it definitely eliminated the volume fluctuation -- almost. What I find is that most of the bass has disappeared so I adjust the bass level up to be livable. After about 10-15 minutes (either idle or driving) all of a sudden all hell breaks loose as the bass kicks in deafingly loud. After setting the bass to -2 the system actually sounds [relatively] decent. Of course once I turn off the engine and then start it up later, we are back to no bass, etc.

Any ideas on this one? Or any ideas on how to get Nissan and/or Bose to ante up for a new system for this car just days out of warranty?

In case I didn't mention it -- thanks for the great tip (hopefully I can figure out how to get it working 100% the way I would like).

Sven
Bringing this thread to the top again..

I get exactly the same problem with this fix - no bass for 10~15 min but all of sudden it becomes crazy boomy. Even with the bass set to -5, it is overly boomy and makes the music sound very dull.

Anyone else getting this problem?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:42 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

yep, i did this fix, took like 15 mins, made it much better
Old 11-20-2005, 02:48 PM
cantfindaname

I just did this "upgrade." Time will tell how it holds up, but so far it works like a charm.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
bigute

Thumbs up Well I pulled the trigger and did this tonight

It was a little scary pulling the lower steering kick plate off ...However it went off without a hitch. It seems to be working great-the Bose sounds much better. Specifically, the bass doesn't seem to cut in and out so much. I haven't done an extensive test but I will this weekend.

Thanks for the tutorial!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
beefman

FWIW it looks like Nissan listened. The '06 Bose has an Audiopilot on/off setting.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 PM
maximumsportZ

doesn't the 04's have audio pilot on/off settings?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 AM
guy121

I know my touring Z has audio pilot on/off in the menu.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
barthelb
Master

Is this for 05 and above or something. I haven't heard about it.

Originally Posted by guy121
I know my touring Z has audio pilot on/off in the menu.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
guy121

Sorry need to update my sig, but I have a 2004.5 Touring Z so I figure that 2004.5+ would have it? Its the very last option when switching through the sound options(bass/treble/fader/balance/Audiopilot)
Old 12-18-2005, 08:22 PM
bleunetizen

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

After this fix, my bose system sounds much clearer without the boomy-ness for a while but if I turn the volume high above 15 or run a music that got lots of bass, the sound becomes unacceptably boomy even at the bass set at -5.. The only way to get the clean sound back is to shut the car down and start again. it actually sounds even worse that with the audio pilot too.

Anyone ?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:25 PM
GT350Z2006

Thanks for the information Beefman. I am getting a 2006 and they had me worried.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:35 PM
GT350Z2006

Default Bose auto pilot is now grounded.

After reading Beefman's notice I decided to look for the information myself. As I still haven't got my car in yet I looked on the NissanUSA.com sight. It can be found as 350Z 2006 manual, which you can download for free. The section is 4-24, that is included if I did it right. He is 100% correct thank god.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Auto Pilot.pdf (67.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 12-30-2005, 06:13 AM
orions empire

Well Guys,

This would be my first Post. After days and days of reading, until I felt my eyes were about to bleed. Here are my findings...

Since my Z is a 03 Touring, I am unable to shut off the audio pilot.

I did remove the cover under the st. wheel. (hard but able to, scary)

Unplug Audio Pilot Mic and placed the 1k resistor into the plug and cover with tape. (easy)

I tested before closing everything again. It sounded ok, but not as espected. But I read on one post that it might take a couple of hours until it will auto-adjust. !?!?!? Hum strange, but since I am not an electrical guru, I beleived it.

Closed the cover of wheel.. And took my baby for a test drive around, just to see if the sound will keep up and down in an unstable way. With luck nothing happened, just after ten mins. the bass blasted my chest away, the motheFkr was back, but then I re-adjusted the bass and it was ok.

Since then the sound is not perfect but is ok.

I am wondering If there is any way possible of a setup that I can do, to keep my stock unit but PLEASE the sound quality must improve a little.

Help, some experts, I dont want to remove the stock HU, I can change the speackers, but how do I control the freakin bass comming very high after a couple of minutes.

Thank you for your help...

OE
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 AM
steve1173

In the audio settings for the radio it has a setting autopilot off, wouldn't this just shut the microphone off.

Quick Reply: $0.20 Bose Fix!