Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 12:45 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so much new stuff, this "smart psu" any links where I can get a good feel for what this entails? I ASSUME it turns on when power hits it, and when a relay is triggered(acc power goes off? or a period of time after it) it begins the shut down sequence. and the power turns off a few seconds later.

this is a cool feature, but it can be mimic'd with a simple time delay relay, only drawback is you dont properly "shut down" the PC, it just cuts off. but is that really so horrible?

as for lines in the screen... I dont understand, I had the PC running, inverter powering both the screen and PC, there was no lines in the screen. I would say fine, sure, but you have them I dont, and I have no good reason why. It would make me feel better if I could say, oh I did this, thats why. same screen same cable, I did get a pretty damn good inverter... perhaps its sheilded or something, owell, I guess Ill just have to be happy its not a problem.

as for laptop. valid point on the laptop, but you make a few flaws in the comparison, I went ahead and customized a 1100 model dell laptop. it came out to 1303. ok, How and why, and whats different?

well first they give you a 2.0ghz processor, sounds good, but its a celeron, I personlly would not use one of these in my own computer, but that choice is yours. in mine I used athlon XP chip, that is the top of the line athlon. and speeds could go on and on up to 2+ghz, a 2ghz celeron chip is 82$ compared to 78 for a athlon XP 1.6ghz.

then came memory, I paid 54$ for 512mb of ram, on a computer capable of holdin 3ghz, the laptop tops out at 512mb and it was a 100$ upgrade. I also use DDram, which is WAY cheaper than Sdram, but does not take any hit in performance, they are equal more or less, I can only say, in my desktop dell I have Sdram, I wanted to add to it, and I couldnt afford 100$ per stick.

they give a free 40gig hd, not free, but standard. its a deal they got going it seems, that will be a laptop drive, good deal.

I saved some money by going down to a 8x dvd rom rather than a dvd cdrw, but in I think everyones computer, mine for sure, we are using 16x.

they are giving you windows XP home, a 100$ value I believe, cant remove that... so I guess chop that off the price tag.

word perfect, worthless. but cant remove it.

so your at 1200$ for a system similair to the 450$ system I have. but then theres other stuff, I have gforce 4 mx440, they have "Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics " I could have a radion 9700 if I wanted, a laptop could not. I have nvidia sound storm audio, they have "Integrated stereo sound
" thats all they say.

anyway, Im not saying its a bad idea, but it is redundant, wasting money on a screen... and a keyboard. and I see no PCI slots, actually I see no mention of a serial port, which means touch screen is out of the question. unless you get a converter and make it a USB, which you only have 2 of.

hope this helps to show the laptop idea has its faults, its not a total waste, add a docking station and viola, you wont get any faster of a swap. you need to cool it tho, if youve ever used a laptop, you know that thing gets REALLY hot, and ends up murdering its own performance.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally did something to start changing this project from a pc-on-my-desk, to a car-PC.

I cut out an area at the back of one of the mail slot compartments, so that my Pioneer DVD-106S would fit. I decided not to center it, so that I can use the space on the side for some other purpose. It just barely fits. The height of the drive is just a tad smaller then the height of the mail box, and depthwise, the drive just slips in far enough so that the door will operate, as it hits the vertical fins on the rear trim piece. I may have to shave those vertical fins once I get around to hooking up cables - not sure yet.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3290018.jpg  
Old 03-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Scafremon

sticks out back some
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3290019.jpg  
Old 03-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Scafremon

mailbox in. Those fins you see are the ones I mentioned previously.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3290015.jpg  

Last edited by Scafremon; 03-29-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Scafremon

drive in
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3290017.jpg  
Old 03-29-2003, 12:58 PM
ares
Veteran

phew, so it will fit, looking at that, I thought there was no way that drive was gonna fit against the backing, a scenario I never thought about. however I think your drive is alot deeper than mine... atleast it looks like it is...

can you say, is the slot load deeper than a regular drive?
Old 03-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Scafremon

This drive is about 8.375" deep. I also had never wondered if it would fit.

I'm in the process of cutting those vertical fins right now. I want to set the drive back another 1/8", just to be sure the door isn't going to hit the 'eject' button on front of drive.

Then, I am going to go ahead and attach the drive into the mail bucket, using screws on the left side. Reassemble car, then mow lawns before wife gets home.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:46 PM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I think I have the Morex power supply in my Casetronic case. So far, it's been fine, but I'm not running that much on it....2.5" drive, slim DVD-ROM, USB Keyspan remote. I have a feeling that as I start to add things, GPS, PCMCIA slot, etc it will not handle as well. That's one of my reasons for wanting the Opus 90W supply, plus the shutdown controller is a big plus as well.

Mainly, I want plenty of power to add things and not worry and then have the ability to restart car or have car off for 10-20 minutes and not have the computer reboot or shutdown.

So has anyone actually hooked up the 60W DC-DC power supply to a 12V lead (fused of course)? I really think this can be done without anything else inbetween. I'm going to try and contact Casetronic on Monday to see if they provide any instructions on this.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:26 PM
ares
Veteran

hehe, ok, so have ANY of us actually gotten a full complete IN CAR PC? HAHA we're all trying, but none of us finished it 100% yet I dont think. and when we do finish it... will we really be "finished"? or will the computer work while we devise a new way to do something?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:41 PM
aggie300zx

I'm actually one step away from being complete....minus continual add-ons that will happen over the duration of my use (GPS, TV Tuner, etc.).

I'm going to buck up and buy the Opus 150W power supply on Monday. I know it's more than I currently need, but I like the idea of having no worries about adding things to the PC. Plus, as you guys all know the computer industry moves very quick, so it's wouldn't suprise me to see a VIA board using a 2ghz chip before too long, so I'd like to think that the 150W will carry me through at least some upgrades. Plus if the ground loop issue comes up with the screen and PC, no prob...I can run the screen off of the power supply as well!

I should be able to install it pretty quick, since I already have all the leads I will need currently under my passenger seat (amp and power distribution block already there).

Then my Auto PC will be COMPLETE!
Old 03-29-2003, 08:51 PM
ares
Veteran

awesome man, be sure to post pics for all of us.

I would personally say that the 150watts is a wise choice... prepare for the future. running GPS might put strains on the power system that you dont have right now, gps reciever, dvd player, and proccessor power, much of what I think we are all doing right now is lucky to pull 50% of our CPU power, but GPS will be a pretty solid application to run. this is of course, unsubtantiated thoughts, but it never hurts, its only up to 150watts, itll only take what it needs.

is the price difference that big?

I think I might get off my lazy bum and install the PC, without the screen of course, theres still work to be done, and when the screen comes Id like to just run the wire, and go. the mailbox slot is the last thing I have to do, as well as secure the pc into the car properly. nice of them to give me that brace in the back to bolt it to. I just with I had the monitor and touch screen wire that comes with the screen, now when the touch screen comes I still gotta pull up the center console and run that wire. but thats better than having to do everything else...

gee isnt this a blast?
Old 03-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Scafremon

Just finished adding a shelf to my storage compartment behind the drivers seat. This is where my computer will sit, along with most external devices.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3300022.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Scafremon

Hopefully, this won't turn into rattle-city...lol

I used lok-tite on all bolts, and generously applied weatherstripping to all edges that could rub. I think I will velcro computer case into the channel I have created for it.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3300023.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 05:22 PM
aggie300zx

Nice job. That's going to be sweet!

I'm kind of at a crossroads right now with my next accessory (not power supply, already commited to that). GPS? I know what the options are and it basically comes down to whether you want Tracking or Navigation. There seems to be a big difference beweet the two. Although, the tracking stuff is cool, I really think what I want is something similar to what a Navigation system offers from car manufact. Which leads to $$$ because it looks like the CoPilot package is the best one out there for true navigation.

Anybody have any more experience with this stuff? I know there was a thread going for a while but its gone dormant.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:30 PM
ares
Veteran

Im gonna use co pilot... dont think that helps you, just read it was the best, only drawback is the voice of it. I can live with that.

by the way, I was in hi fi buys, and they said they could put sound in where the CD changer plays in. didnt get too deep into it, but next time I have the car apart, Im gonna bring them the center console thing, with the stereo in it, and see if they can get me leads into it for me to plug into.

if they do, Ill let you guys know.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by aggie300zx
I know what the options are and it basically comes down to whether you want Tracking or Navigation.
I'm not sure what the difference is, but i am guessing that:

Tracking: Allows you to see where you are, without having to program in a destination.

Navigation: Requires a destination in order to function.

If that is the difference, then I definetly want a tracking program. I believe that the programs that allow tracking also have navigation, just maybe not to the extent as a 'destination required' software package (such as automatic re-routing). Since the majority of my driving will not require me to input a destination in order to know how to get there, 'destination required' software package wont get much use.

One of my goals when I started this DIY Nav project was to have the ability to create a 'trip ticket' on my home computer, and upload this to my car prior to leaving. I currently use MS Streets and Trips to create my driving routes, and although I wont be using this software as my nav software (15 sec refresh rate), it's nice to create and edit your travel plans outside of your car.

I'm not sure if this can be done with Co-Pilot.

Last edited by Scafremon; 03-30-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:38 PM
aggie300zx

That is my basic understanding as well (track vs nav). The ones I have seen that are focused more on Tracking do have options for Navigation but really suffer on user friendliness. But I guess with the fact I have a VGA screen and recently added a cool little USB keyboard...the other tracking software (Street Atlas, etc.) might give me a more complete package. Plus after spending all the money I have on this project, I just can't spend the $400 or whatnot for the copilot option with the DeLORME Earthmate GPS Receiver/Street Atlas option only costing $130.

Arghhh, well it looks like I will put my pre-order in for the new Earthmate...I guess if I don't like it I could sell it to one of the other folks we have dragged into this Auto PC fun !!

Thanks for the opinions!
Old 03-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Arghhh, well it looks like I will put my pre-order in for the new Earthmate...I guess if I don't like it I could sell it to one of the other folks we have dragged into this Auto PC fun !!
lol

I was real tempted to order the earthmate the other night, but decided to go with the Deluo instead. Why?.... Well, I wasn't sure if painting that Earthmate receiver would render it less effective, and I really didn't want a bright yellow receiver peaking out from my un-tinted rear window.

I'm also having trouble believing their '2-5' meter accuracy. Sounds to good to be true, and if it were really true, I would think that they wouold emphasize this feature, since it sets them apart from all the other choices i have seen.

Lastly, free Rand McNally Software (never checked it out, and I already have a previous version of Delorme Street Atlas) free shipping, no sales tax,and it will be here next week (which is probably a month before I will need it....but oh well).
Old 03-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Scafremon

I made an impulse buy at Fry's Electronics the other night; the Gyration RF Keyboard and Mouse.

I had never intended to keep a keyboard in the car, but the more I thought about it, it seemed like a good thing to have on-hand, even if it didn't get much use. And even though my plan was to get a touch-screen (not sure now), I still envisioned having some type of cursor control device in the car, probably a touch-pad, or a trackball.

I saw this 'suite' that included the keyboard and mouse for $100, and thought I'd check it out, knowing that I could return it. But I think it is a keeper. The keyboard is quite small, and will fit in the seat-back storage accessory. It would even attach to the underside of the passenger visor, and not be too obtrusive. It also has a very nice tactile feel. The mouse is an 'in-air' mouse, in addition to being an optical mouse. It has gyro's in it, that sense its movement when used in the air. You turn your wrist to make the cursor move, while holding a button on the bottom. I have tried them both out, and while the mouse will take some getting used to, they are very nice products.

I'm justifying the cost by telling myself I won't be getting the $100 touch-screen option. But the screen is a few weeks away still, so I'm not sure if I will still remember the 'deal' I made with myself at that time.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Scafremon

Ooops...meant to share a pic or two (big surprise, I know)

Regular keyboard shown for size comparison.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3300022a.jpg  

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!