Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 09:14 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good, I wonder tho... you dont have a touchscreen do you? the connectors for them are probably different, but I guess they are still similair since their both loose.

Im gonna have to say hot glue is your best option... short of a new connector, it will peel off if needed, but should hold it snug.

Im not sure but on mine the actual connector that it attaches to bends around as well, further complicating the issue, I was worried that the connector would bend and break off, tho it didnt... might wanna think of a solution to that as well...
Old 03-23-2003, 12:32 PM
abz123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you guys post a pic of this connector? (i.e. the one that is giving you guys hell.) Just curious what you guys are talking about.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:14 PM
aggie300zx

Ok, here is an update on the screen issues. First, we tried to better securing the connector, using a combination of zip-ties (hold wire in place) and velcro for support under the connector. It helped some, but the flickering of the screen still occured. So I was pretty frustrated and called it quits for the day.

Then later when I was at my friends house, it worked fine (with the engine OFF). When I was leaving her house, I tried to use it (with engine ON) and the screen flickering was back. So, of course first thing when I got home I tried the unit with the engine off and it worked fine.....soooo my new theory is that it doesn't like the fluctuation in voltage when the engine is drawing power from the battery as well. I currently have it connected to the 12V Ignition ACC headunit lead. To test my theory tomorrow, I'm going to use the AC adapter power source for the screen with the engine on and off to see if the screen flickers. If it doesn't then I will lean a lot more towards the power source being the issue. Although, I know at some point in the install the video connector was an issue, but I could have had several issues at once, further compounding the ability to troubleshooting.

I will give an update once I test my theory out....stay tuned!

Oh, and the lines on the screen are still there, but first things first!

Thanks again, Chazz for all your help today! I graciously added someone else to the list of dazed and confused on this issue!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
aggie300zx

It's kind of hard to see in this pic, but under the orange velcro thing is the connector...with round black cable coming out from it.

Once I can get this working, I will add further details of how we installed the screen....it turned out to be a very slick install that looks great, just not with the screen on right now!
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0728.jpg  
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM
thewoff

Guys,

I spoke with a customer service guy at Xenarc and he said they expect new controllers this Fri. I completely broke the connector off when installing the screen due to it's cheap manufacture. He said if I send him my old controller he'll send me a new one with a better connector for $80 when they come in. And to top things off I got all my computer parts in from Axiontech and I paid for a M10000 VIA mobo. I open the box and there is a epia-800...WTF So now I have to call them on Monday and get another motherboard sent out. Oh well I guess sh*t happens.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:40 PM
aggie300zx

Please PM me your contact at Xenarc if you don't mind, because I might be interested in getting a new controller w/connector as well.

Please keep us updated on your install process. So far my install went very smoothly except for the screen.

Just to highlight, since I'm using an AC inverter right now for the PC's power, I popped the cigaretter lighter out and ran it behind the panel, so nothing is exposed outside of the glove box. I also dremeled a small hole in the back of the glove box to feed in my wires...
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0731.jpg  
Old 03-23-2003, 08:11 PM
ares
Veteran

awesome man, keep us updated. the connector appears very similair(possibly the same), and if you ever want a touch screen go to www.eelyecw.com, that is who makes the xenarc touch screen part. they dont sell their own products tho. not that I see anyway.

I hope I can find a new connector type when I get my next screen... thatd help a bunch.

but again, I had mine running on AC inverter, with engine on(even while starting the car), no lines, no flickering... I didnt drive, but it sounds like you have the problem without driving.

good luck with it, your making me jeoulous, I want to finish mine and I cant. humph! soon.... soon....
Old 03-23-2003, 08:21 PM
aggie300zx

Actually, it just hit me (ok, I'm a little slow sometimes)....I did a dry-run of everything in my car before installing anything, all running off the power inverter and I had no lines either and no flickering problems. This was with the car running too! Sooooo, hopefully my test tomorrow will tell me that my power connections are not right (I will hook back up to AC Inverter). If that is the case, I might just temporarily run a wire from the screen to my AC Inverter in the glovebox to power the screen and PC.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:27 PM
dmazyn

Ok, not sure if you guys are intrested, but I found this HTPC shell software that I am using for the carputer.

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~stan/htpcinterface.html

Also here is a custom theme I am working on.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-350_z.jpg  
Old 03-23-2003, 08:30 PM
ares
Veteran

that looks nice man, running on windows or linux?

aggie, maybe your connection is just loose? otherwise, you might want to run a 8ga wire from battery to glove box, then run a 12gauge up to the screen from it, so you have a dedicated line for the whole computer, and when you use a dc-dc supply you have power for that in the glove box.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:33 PM
dmazyn

It's running on XP Pro.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:35 PM
aggie300zx

I'm already covered in that department because I'm running a pretty full aftermarket stereo (headunit, amps, sub, speakers) and each amp is mounted under my seats. I have a 4 gauge cable running from the battery to a power distribution block under the passenger's seat with two empty ports on it. So when I'm ready for a true DC-DC solution I only have to run a wire from there to the glove box.

See pic...
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0715.jpg  
Old 03-23-2003, 08:40 PM
aggie300zx

dmazyn, Nice find on the HTPC program....I feel kind of stupid that I wasted $45 on G-Net's digital dash software.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:51 PM
dmazyn

aggie300zx, don't worry I got the digital dash also. I am waiting on the new version which should be skinable.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:07 PM
ares
Veteran

ah I gotcha, no where that you can tap into it for the screen? or I guess your headunit power is already not stock? must be a bad connection I think, cause battery power doesnt drop by that much to warrent it flickering.

it would just bother me that you cant turn it on without the stereo and accesories being on...

keep at it, eventually one of us will get this thing right.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:13 PM
aggie300zx

Default Update #????, ahh who knows...

My theory was correct...the power to the Xenarc screen was the issue. I determined this by hooking up the screen back to the AC adapter then using the AC Inverter that is already powering my PC. What this also did was remove the nasty lines due to the fact both devices are being grounded at the same place (the inverter). I guess with my amps, etc, it just didn't like the fluctuation in power it was getting. I should have realized this when the instructions for the screen said if you cut off the AC adapter you need a fused, 1 amp, regulated power source. Ahhhhh, damn who reads instructions anyway!

So, problem solved for right.......well hold on because now I caused a new problem. With both items plugged into the AC power inverter the noise it adds to my stereo systme is unbearable. In my research I heard that Inverter noise could be an issue and I noticed it a little with the PC plugged in, but with the screen plugged...damn....can't do it.

So now I need to find a method of taking a 12V DC to a fused regulated power source....any ideas?

I'm going to contact Xenarc to see if they offer a product or have partner that does. Past that it's back to searching the Internet for a solution!
Old 03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
all_bark

you guys are so close I can almost see the music video's playing on mine.

oh, wait a minute, chazzg hasn't sent me it yet.

come on guys, get those bugs worked out!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to receiving mine.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:36 PM
ares
Veteran

eh, Im done man, finished, just have to get a working screen and Im set. its the little problems...

building a 100% custom computer in a custom hand made case taking almost 60 man hours to complete? no problem, ordering a functional touch screen, impossible.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:04 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by ares
building a 100% custom computer in a custom hand made case taking almost 60 man hours to complete? no problem, ordering a functional touch screen, impossible.
purchasing one from someone who has devoted countless hours developing the perfect system.......priceless!

OK, Chazzg, do not charge me THAT much...
Old 03-24-2003, 06:31 PM
ares
Veteran

"perfect" is always subjective, all depends on your wants and needs.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!