Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

need to vent: how many things can be done wrong on a headunit install???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need to vent: how many things can be done wrong on a headunit install???

had to vent...lol...doing a system and the headunit was already installed in there, so i go into get the rcas into the HU...

so...honsetly, it hink this is CC or best buy type of install, i was simply amazed at how many things are wrong wtih a straight forward headunit install in a Z!... i mean...i have seen bad things before but...i honestly think that an installer would need to TRY to screw things up to make it come out like this..

here is a short list:

1. about 8 total screws need to be removed to get the headunit center stack out. i found TWO screws holding it on there...:O... and one was not the stock screw so when it was pushed in there hard, it cracked the moutning tab, so in essense, the cneter stack was held in securely by one screw! imagine my suprise when i took those two out and a simple lift and the whole thing came right out ... how do you loose SEVEN out of EIGHT screws during the process of a headunit install??!?!

2. the mounting plate that is part of the install kit, that goes around the headunit, its a slight trapezoid shape as you know. this palte was mounted UPSIDE DOWN! meaning bigger on the bottom and smaller at the top, leaving gap and rubbing...

3. wiring harness was all over the place, not a single zip tie, no where. butt connectors where i can clearly see about 1/8" to 1/4": of bare wire coming out of them meaning at any moement, they could pull out...

4. ground wire basically was a stripped wire inserted into a place where a screw went in. no spade connectors, nothin, i gently pulled and it came out...

yeah.....sorry, its been a while since i have seen such a simple install process go so wrong...so had to vent lol...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...someone took the easy route during the install.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But hey.. Installation was free..
Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Idok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the way it was the first (and last) time I let circuit city work on my ride.........

flame away..
Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 PM
KPierson
Banned

I'm a former CC installer that spent a ton of time fixing a neighboring custom shops installs, especially during remote start season.

The one thing that CC has going for it is that its installers are paid by the hour, not by the job. The store next door to us was a 'by the job' shop and their work showed it. Also, since they only got paid to install, not to fix, they would always turn away customers or schedule them for appointments weeks away.

I guess the moral of my story is that not all custom shops are good, and not all CC installers are bad, it all comes down to who exactly is touching your car.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

oh i agree wtih you...i was merely venting and calling it a CC or BB type of install...many custom shops do these tpyes of installs too

offense to anyone working at CC and BB that acutalyl has skills, i certainly know my fare share of decent installers who worked there

b
Old 05-24-2006, 08:24 PM
eat rice z33

Thats nothing, when i have some time, ill post up some of my audio excursions and things ive found. You and me will just laugh for days. One story that i will tell about is finding a zip lock bag full of cocaine.........Yeah.....Wasnt expecting that!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 AM
05-Z

Did you ask the owner who did the install?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i did, but i will keep quiet for now, not in the business to name names..

oh i have seen my share of majorly screwed up stuff, hae found everything in a car from subs in cardboard boxes, buckets, sitting ON TOP of rear deck, to guns, tasers, ****, gay ****, coke, even found a dead animal carcass once...

but...

nm

lol
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 AM
eat rice z33

HAHAHAH YES! Car audio installers for the WIN!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 AM
o snap its eric

hahaha that installer must suck wit the electronics!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i did, but i will keep quiet for now, not in the business to name names..

oh i have seen my share of majorly screwed up stuff, hae found everything in a car from subs in cardboard boxes, buckets, sitting ON TOP of rear deck, to guns, tasers, ****, gay ****, coke, even found a dead animal carcass once...

but...

nm

lol
Yeah.. But have you ever found a sub mounted in the carcase of a dead hooker in a cardboard box in the trunk..? Bonus points if there was no sheilding on the terminals.