Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Reverse wire- please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006 | 11:37 AM
passanis

Default Reverse wire- please help!!

I have searched extensively on this topic and have read no less than a dozen threads on the reverse wire location. BUT I still cannot find the right wire. I'm looking in the driver's kick panel and I see the lightest green wire but when I tap into it, my eclipse deck says I'm in reverse when I'm not. I found the same light green wire in two different harnesses down there but neither work.

I've got my car torn open so any help you can give me today is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2006 | 11:52 AM
Derek

What type of signal does the reverse wire on your eclipse expect? Ground when in reverse? Are you manual or auto? Roadster or coupe?
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:01 PM
excid182

it's not really a light green wire...it's almost like a sky blue color with silver dashes on it. there was a good thread a while back with pics and everything. that's what i did for my eclipse deck and it worked great. good luck.
Old 06-04-2006 | 02:35 PM
passanis

I tried the sky blue wire without luck.

I have a manual roadster. The eclipse manual says to "use a circuit tester to confirm that a sensing voltage of 6 V or higher is generated when the vehicle is reversed." [And, no I don't know what a circuit tester is or what 6 V means].
Old 06-04-2006 | 03:10 PM
Derek

Look for a giant white harness connector underneath the driver's side dash. Look for an orange wire. It will be on the end of the connector towards the bottom (if its an orange wire in the middle thats not it). According to the shop manual, this wire goes +12V when in reverse and is used to power the reverse lights from the back-up switch on the manual models. This should be what your eclipse needs.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:19 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

If you are having trouble just grab it at the switch which is mounted just to the driver's side of the emergency brake. You'll see ground when you pull the brake.

A tester is a volt, ohm, milliamp meter which you can get for about $10 at any auto store.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:22 PM
passanis

Derek, I really appreciate you helping me out. So I looked under there and all I see is an orange wire adjacent to an orange wire w/ white stripe in a *brown* male connecter that plugs into a white female connecter. Could you confirm whether this is it? If not, is there any other descriptors you could give me about the location? Maybe how many wires are in the harness and what colors it is next to?

Thanks so much.
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:33 PM
Derek

Red circle should be the correct pin.
Reverse wire- please help!!-b1connector.jpg

As always, probe with a DMM to make sure.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:31 PM
passanis

Derek, am I pushing my luck if I ask for a few of the wire colors in that same row as the orange wire? And it's solid orange, right? And the harness is in the kick panel?

Thanks a million.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:47 PM
Derek

Man I don't have any way of finding out the wire colors without trying to find those terminals throughout the entire shop manual. Can you tell if the wire at that position is solid orange? Also that diagram is probably shown from the mating end, so it might be reversed when you are looking at it.
Old 06-06-2006 | 02:20 PM
passanis

Derek, thanks for the help. So I will do my best to find that orange wire.

If anyone has any additional info, please share. Really could use the help on this one as a I've hacked into four wires with a splitter and I don't know how much more the harness can take.
Old 06-06-2006 | 02:48 PM
Derek

I'll see what else I can figure out later tonight. Be REAL careful tapping wires if you aren't sure!
Old 06-06-2006 | 03:42 PM
KPierson
Banned

It may be a good idea to take it to a shop with the correct tools to find the wire you are looking for. Trial and error is NOT a good or safe way to hook things up in a car as electronically sophisticated as the Z!
Old 06-06-2006 | 08:15 PM
rogersnissan

Default reverse wire

i wired it to the white wire running to the actual reverse bulb in the rear bumper. works fine. any idea where the pulse sensor wire is?
Old 06-07-2006 | 01:36 AM
Derek

The orange wire you need is in the harness that runs down the driver side. So, if you can find the solid orange wire there, that is the way to go. Make sure there is only 1 orange wire so you are completely sure.

If you aren't sure how to probe the wire, do this: Tap the wire. Put the black probe wire of the DMM to chassis ground. Set the DMM to measure VDC. Put the red wire of the DMM to the orange wire tap. You should read zero volts. When you the car is in reverse, you should read approx 12 - 14.4 volts (depending on if car is started or not).

Do not use a test light or a meter. The test light creates too much of a load and the meter is an inductive load that can cause problems on sensitive circuits in the car.

Radio shack sells a cheap DMM: Part # 22-810 for $20

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

You can also find them at Lowes and Home Depot.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:41 AM
jazz z1

Originally Posted by passanis
I have searched extensively on this topic and have read no less than a dozen threads on the reverse wire location. BUT I still cannot find the right wire. I'm looking in the driver's kick panel and I see the lightest green wire but when I tap into it, my eclipse deck says I'm in reverse when I'm not. I found the same light green wire in two different harnesses down there but neither work.

I've got my car torn open so any help you can give me today is greatly appreciated.
The following is from an earlier post. You'll have to remove the inside trunk paneling in front of the left tail light. Then look for the reverse wire connector. Here are 2 pictures ... Hope this helps.

Here is a closeup of the connector:
Old 06-07-2006 | 05:46 AM
Derek

I think thats the T2/B44 junction. Can you tell if the light green wire is orange on the other half of the connector? I'd love to know if the shop manual is wrong... According to the shop manual, the LG wire should be on the side that runs to the actual taillights. The other side should be orange and that is the wire that runs to the reverse switch on the manual models (the automatics have a relay).
Old 06-07-2006 | 06:34 AM
excid182

see...i said it was the light blue wire...i have mine hooked up to that and it works fine.
Old 06-07-2006 | 12:31 PM
passanis

Thanks everyone for the advice. My problem is that I already have the deck installed with my wire routed to the kick panel area. However, I also have my entire car torn apart so I could take the deck out and run the wire all the way back to the trunk.

When I first began searching on this topic, I found those pictures. I thought the location of that harness was under the hood. So is it easily accessible in the trunk area then?

I like the idea of having a picture of exactly what I'm looking for but I hate the idea of needing to run the wire all the way back there (keep in mind that I have a roadster so it's a little more tricky than a coupe to run the wire there). Then again, I don't know of anyone who has used this orange wire Derek is referencing from the manual (this is no dig at you Derek- just saying we don't have any testimony).

Can anyone confirm that the light green (or sky blue) wire in the trunk (in the photo) would work on the eclipse (I'm thinking different head units may look for different signals such as a ground versus 6V like the eclipse wants).

Someone had the idea of tapping into the harness near the shifter. Is this possible? What color is the wire at this point? I need a connection after the switch and before the lamp, so it seems like this should be a possibility.

Thanks so much for the help so far.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:42 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jazz z1
The following is from an earlier post. You'll have to remove the inside trunk paneling in front of the left tail light. Then look for the reverse wire connector. Here are 2 pictures ... Hope this helps.

Here is a closeup of the connector:
Nice pictures. I forgot I had them.

Quick Reply: Reverse wire- please help!!