Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Reverse wire- please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006 | 02:46 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by passanis

Someone had the idea of tapping into the harness near the shifter. Is this possible? What color is the wire at this point? I need a connection after the switch and before the lamp, so it seems like this should be a possibility.

Thanks so much for the help so far.
No that guy's nuts and was thinking of the e-brake wire! The cables for the backing lights run under the driver's side sill plate in a plastic tube. The color code stays the same. The pictures above are the ones I took for my Pioneer AVIC which taps into the wire that feeds the backing lights. I don't recall if there was a +12 VDC or a ground signal there but I'm thinking it was a +12 VDC.
Old 06-07-2006 | 03:09 PM
Derek

It occurs to me that the wire colors might be different for different model years. I'm looking at the '06 wiring diagrams.
Old 06-07-2006 | 03:12 PM
jazz z1

Yeah Paul350Z that was a great post you did. I saved the the above pics and use them when I installed my Kenwood Navigation system. I never got a chance to thank you. But as you can see I shared your information in this thread. Good looking out

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. But I had to acknowledge the author of the info I shared
Old 06-07-2006 | 05:52 PM
passanis

Paul, so those pics you took were from the driver's tailight in the trunk area? Do you think it would be possible to get at it from the kick panel?
Old 06-07-2006 | 06:35 PM
excid182

i hooked my reverse wire up in the drivers side kick panel...sky blue wire with silver dashes like i said before. i am pretty sure thats where those pics are taken from too.
Old 06-07-2006 | 07:21 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by passanis
Paul, so those pics you took were from the driver's tailight in the trunk area? Do you think it would be possible to get at it from the kick panel?
Yes - that's where those wires are coming from. I had my entire interior and passenger's seat removed for my AVIC N2 brain. The brain is mounted under the passenger's seat and that's where my reverse and backup wires run. It was just as easy to go aft vice crossing under the already crowded area under the center console - so I went for the wire in the back.

I just put the car in reverse and disconnected the jacks until the backing lights went out and then hunted in the jack using the safety pin visible in one of the pictures and a VOM.
Old 06-07-2006 | 07:23 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jazz z1
Yeah Paul350Z that was a great post you did. I saved the the above pics and use them when I installed my Kenwood Navigation system. I never got a chance to thank you. But as you can see I shared your information in this thread. Good looking out

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. But I had to acknowledge the author of the info I shared
You are more than welcome to borrow anything at anytime. Working on these cars isn't easy and we all pull knowlege from each other. My amplifier rack is based on measurements another guy made to which I added a "second story" to fit another amplifier onto.

Thank you.
Old 06-08-2006 | 11:31 AM
passanis

I guess I'm going to tear apart the trunk this weekend and go for that wire near the taillight. I'll let you know what happens.

About actually running the wire for the rear view camera, I noticed the grommet right behind the license plate inside the trunk, but there's obviously no hole behind the license plate. I haven't looked too closely, but how do you get the wire through the grommett to the outside? Ideally I'd like to have it come out near the lisence plate lights, where I plan to mount my camera.
Old 01-28-2009 | 11:00 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by jazz z1
The following is from an earlier post. You'll have to remove the inside trunk paneling in front of the left tail light. Then look for the reverse wire connector. Here are 2 pictures ... Hope this helps.

Here is a closeup of the connector:
I know this post is extremely old but I just want to say:
Paul350z you're the man, I followed this picture and it worked.

To clarify for the H/U installing noobs:
This harness is right under the driver's rear corner window. It is between the strut bar and rear speaker.

My base Z didn't have the top two harnesses, but the bottom two harnesses correspond to Paul's picture.
Old 01-28-2009 | 11:08 AM
jgregory124

cool guys.....im doing this my self next week, big help
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:52 AM
kidanemic

I might sound like a noob here, mostly because I am, but are you just supposed to splice into this line and run some additional 18 gauge wire to the radio wire harness?
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:54 AM
adamtaylorpcb

yep

most of the units how have a bypass so this isnt even necessary

what unit are you speaking of?
Old 10-14-2024 | 05:49 PM
emptech

Smile Reverse wire- please help!!

I'm installing a back up camera (Garmin) which requires +12 volts and gnd. Removing the inside rear panel, the one behind the spare tire, is a bundle of wires, all taped up. In that bundle is a light green wire, it is the switched 12 volts that the camera needs. There is a black wire, larger gage than the rest of the wires, it is the ground return, so if you tap into those two wires, should be what people need for typical back-up cameras. At the back-up lights themselves, the plus 12 volts is the white wire with two black stripes and the ground return is the solid black wire.

Jim