Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

OPTIMA Yellow Top D51R discontinued...which model now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Tantrum Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPTIMA Yellow Top D51R discontinued...which model now?

My battery is too weak for all the electronics in my car. I'm looking at the Optima yellow top and found out that the majority of guys went with the D51R. But, I just called every local dealer to find out that it has been discontinued. So I was wondering what model Optima battery are you guys using now that is lighter than our stock one?

I called Optima and they told me the D35 yellow top would be the right application for the Z. However, it's heavier than the stock one. So now I'm looking for a dry cell battery that will fit without any modifications to the cables and the bracket. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tantrum Z33; 06-14-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
chimmike

not quite sure what this has to do with forced induction.

try posting in the correct section?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
z350phille

just go for the new and improved yellow one, or do as ia did get a red one.. works very well.
i got 2 yellow ones in the back
Old 06-14-2006, 04:51 PM
gt3

Would like to know as well...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
drsifu

D35.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html

10 lbs heavier than the D51R, but better CCA.

Terminals are on the correct side. My negative battery post is slightly smaller than the cable, so I may need to buy a shim, but other than that fitment is great. You'll need to use the supplied base since this battery is slighty shorter in height than stock one. It's also slightly smaller in width, but the OEM battery tie down will work.

Great service, price and quick shipment from the above website. Don't know if they have anymore.

Red top are also good as well, the only main difference between yellow top and red top is that the yellow one is deep cycle, which means it can be completely drained and than fully charged back up without problems. This is good for those who like to listen to music with the car off.

Red top acts kinda like a regular battery in that in loses some of its charging capability if you continually drain it.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by drsifu
D35.

Terminals are on the correct side. My negative battery post is slightly smaller than the cable, so I may need to buy a shim, but other than that fitment is great. You'll need to use the supplied base since this battery is slighty shorter in height than stock one. It's also slightly smaller in width, but the OEM battery tie down will work.

Great service, price and quick shipment from the above website. Don't know if they have anymore.

Red top are also good as well, the only main difference between yellow top and red top is that the yellow one is deep cycle, which means it can be completely drained and than fully charged back up without problems. This is good for those who like to listen to music with the car off.

Red top acts kinda like a regular battery in that in loses some of its charging capability if you continually drain it.
Thanks for the info. So the D35 looks like the one to get.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Realrammstein

Aren't the yellow tops sold at Costco, as well?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Tantrum Z33

Thanks guys. I just went ahead and ordered the Yellow top D35. I was hoping to find a lighter dry cell battery but everyone I spoke to couldn't recommend one that will fit in the Z with none or minor modifications.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by drsifu
D35.

Good info. This is what I was looking for.