Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How To: install Bose sub on passenger side???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:06 PM
ESPO 774

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: install Bose sub on passenger side???

I searched but came up empty handed. has it been done yet, where someone put an additional oem bose subwoofer behind the passenger seat? I have an 06 w/ bose and was wondering how to add another bose sub to my stock system. A DIY would be amazing. Thank You all in advance
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't seem too complicated except for maybe getting another bose amp connected. But it seems like you just do the rear panel removable, remove the glove box, and then get your hands on another bose sub mounting plate, and install that sucker. - That is if the bose mounting plate fits and the passenger side rear has the holes for it to mount. But I'm sure you could modify the plate to get it fitted.

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rea...s/image005.jpg

Dunno but maybe?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:03 AM
ESPO 774

yes but what would i tap the speaker into? how would i wire it??
Old 07-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Derek

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same on both sides. You'd have to go to the dealer and get the sub, amp, mounting bracket, and another trim panel that covers with sub (with the bose logo). That alone will probably set you back a grand.
You will have to remove the glovebox lid from the outer trim panel and cut in notches for the bose cover trim to snap into.

As for wiring, about the only thing I think you could do would be to wire the 2nd amp up in parallel with the first one. In other words, you match it's connector pin for pin (wire for wire) with the original amp. I have no idea if this will cause problems with the main amp (which feeds the highs and provides a signal to the sub amp) or will put too much of a drain on the power circuit and cause blown fuses. That being said, I doubt it, that amp is so puny I doubt it pulls much amperage.

In my opinion, this is a complete waste of money. For what you are going to spend, you could have a great set of aftermarket amps, speakers, and a sub installed.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:48 PM
ESPO 774

i bought the sub with 1200 miles on it off of ebay for 9 dollars. The speaker grill is $19 and the bracket is $29 from courtesy. That is under $60 if i am not mistaken. Thanks for info. Any other details would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Derek

If you can get a sub amp you are good to go. Did my comment about wiring it up make sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to be more clear. I would certainly "bench test" it before actually installing it to make sure it works.

Here are the wire colors for the sub amp (from the 06 shop manual):

G : Power + (15 Amp fuse)
L : To Sub +
Y : To Sub -
B : Ground
G/R : Amp turn-on lead (Fed from main bose speaker amp)
W : Audio Input + (Fed from main bose speaker amp)
OR : Audio Input - (Fed from main bose speaker amp)

Very important to match polarity when you wire in the 2nd amp. Since the woofers effectively share the same air space you don't want them to fire out of phase (although I have no idea if this will even matter with the strange engineering of that woofer).

Let us know if it works because I'm curious
Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ESPO 774
i bought the sub with 1200 miles on it off of ebay for 9 dollars. The speaker grill is $19 and the bracket is $29 from courtesy. That is under $60 if i am not mistaken. Thanks for info. Any other details would be appreciated.
I have the bose bracket w/ bolts if you want for 20$. I took it out last weekend for a basslink install.