Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC-N2 Install...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
zfetish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVIC-N2 Install...Help!

I've had a avic-n2 sittin in my room waitin to get installed this weekend. I installed the HU in my prelude for about a week so I know it works and I know what I'm doing. I got a ppw 05 Z enthu with 10k miles saturday(VERY EXCITED!) and sunday i began the install. I used Paul350z's AVIC-n2 install thread and used the thread of how to get your dash apart. So, I get the dash apart and uninstall the OEM radio. I connect the wires on the wire harness and plug them into the OEM plugs. I've got 3 different OEM plugs along with the antenna plug. What is the 3rd plug for? I test everything out and connect the brain before I reinstall the dash...Tada!! the HU comes on and flips up with the radio playing. So, I turn the car off and slowly push everything back in the dash. I unconnect the brain and place it under the seat and run my cords accordingly under the seat. After gettin everything back to normal I leave the come back to get in the car later on that night. MY HU DOESN'T WORK! it's completely dead. Could someone give me some tips on what I might be missin?!? I'll post up pictures later on tonight of my harness the unit and so on.

I never installed my ebrake wire b/c i never had to on my prelude. This unit is also bypassed by soldering the two a914 nodes.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double check your dash wiring - look at that thick multi-conductor cable that connects the brain to the head end. If the head end isn't even lighting up double check the power cables (x2) and the ground.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
zfetish

here is a picture of my wire harness. does anybody see anything wrong here?see the black wire with the parking brake wire? what should i do with that ground wire? maybe i just need to reconnect everything for good measure. would the mutli-conductor cable be messed up if ive reconnected it alot?

IS THERE A WAY TO TEST THE HU BESIDES TESTING IT INSIDE IN MY CAR?

Last edited by zfetish; 07-03-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Looking at the two manuals ...

Pionner to Nissan

Yellow goes the battery lead which is Yellow.
Red to the ignition wire which is Light Green.
Orange/white to the lighting which is Red with Blue.
Black to the ground (chassis ground is behind the multi-purpose meter in the triple gauge).
Blue to the antenna amplifer power which is Green with White.
Light green to the parking brake which can be snagged just at the base of the brake.
Pink to the AC amplifier's speed input signal.
Yellow/black - not used unless you've got a hard wired cellphone system.

I found the Crutchfield adapter was golden and the colors matched my Pionner's harness so it was just red to red, yellow to yellow etc.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
zfetish

i hooked up the wire harness to the pioneer harness color for color. Like I said, it came on and worked fine, but when i reinstalled the dash it quit working. I spent all morning tryin to test it out in my car and i'm gettin nothing at all. do i need the illum wire connected at all?

Thanks for the help paul
Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
zfetish

i tried to reconnect everything this morning. here are a few pictures of the ACC red wire. it is gettin electricity off the harness but it's not making it to the unit. i think its the diode in the middle of the ACC wire. I also tried bypassing the diode and the unit was still dead. i've just totally ran out of options. should i just take it to a stereo shop?

Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

There can't be a diode in the middle of the harness unless you put one there. Your on the right track - if it's just a wire there's nothing that can go wrong with it. If you're certain that the ACC power isn't getting there check the jack/plug to make sure that the pin still mates with the socket.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
zfetish

What must be connected for this unit to work? BATT, ACC, Ground and the multi-conductor to the brain? How could I test this unit without putting it in my car?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by zfetish
What must be connected for this unit to work? BATT, ACC, Ground and the multi-conductor to the brain? How could I test this unit without putting it in my car?
Yeah that ought to do it. You need a clean 12-13.6 VDC power supply with about 4 amps.