Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Remote start/key bypass question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
stylinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start/key bypass question

I have completed an install of a 2WSS-AS remote starter/alarm in my 03 6spd Z. Every single thing works fine with the exception the of the remote start. I already have the clutch bypassed in conjunction with the neutral safety switch (ground) output from the ecu (pin 102).

When remote start is activated, it attempts to start the car for barely a second and it cuts off. The car starts fine manually with the key. I have reason to believe that my 556U Immobilzer Interface Bypass is not functioning correctly.

My question is: Is the install of the bypass module the standard type? Black wire to ground, Blue wire to status output of the alarm module, and Red to 12+ constant? Was the pink wire, the latching input, connected to the ignition to keep the 556U engaged to complete the starting sequence? Does this module have a key learning setup like other bypass modules?

It really seems like something is just preventing the remote start from from ultimately starting the car. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities. Any input or advice would help. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
MadCabbie

Well this actually sounds like a simple problem.

There are a few settings for the starter.
1. You can wire it to the tach so it knows when the car starts
2. You can use tachless start(if it has that feature) and it will know when the engine starts
3. You can use a delay

More than likely you have number 3. Its just hitting it real quick. Some cars will start. Most wont. Especially when its cold outside.

If you installed it your self check the settings. If a shop did it for you take it back and tell them its not cranking long enough for the car to start.

You dont want to set a long crank time as it will grind the starter after the car starts, hence why tachless, or wire tach is the best method.

Also that system is setup to work with manual transmissions. It has an ebrake sensor so the car wont start remotely without the e brake engaged..it will also work without bypassing the NSS. I mean when you start it maunally, you will need to press the clutch, but when you remoite start it, it should bypass it for you..you may have set it up that way, but just incase you didnt, i wanted to let you know.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
w8lifter21

Ooops, double post, see below

Last edited by w8lifter21; 07-19-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
w8lifter21

Check the crank time if you are going tachwireless. If your 555u weren't functioning properly chances are the car would not remote start at all OR it would start and then die because the car didn't sense the key. Only cranking for a short time could be the crank time setting on the remote start or you could have the tach wire hooked up wrong if you are using the tachwire. If you are using the tach wire, does your remote start have to "learn" the tach. signal? Check to see if there is "tach learning" section in the install manual
Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
stylinZ

Thanks for your replies, guys. The setup is tach learning, and the alarm chirped once to notify me that the correct tach signal has been learned. So therefore the crank time does not have to be set. That's only required for alternator sensing.

I am still trying to investigate if the 556U transponder bypass unit is not connected/working properly. Does it have to be activated continuously throughout the starting procedure in order for the car to successfully remote start? I installed this alarm myself, and I am pretty capable of installs like these, its just this one alarm that has me a bit stuck.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 PM
KPierson
Banned

To verify that its the 556U that is giving you problems disconnect it it all together and remove it from the car.

Then, put the key in the ignition and try to remote start the car. The ECU will see a correct key and if the remote start is hooked up right the car will start.

Did you tap both starter wires? Where did you grab the tach wire from? Just because it learned the tach signal doesn't mean its an actual tach signal!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
chinchilla206

where you able to get this fixed? i too am having the same issue. with or without the key in the ignition
Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 AM
dragone2717

I have an 03 Z Enthuzed. Automatic.. I want to get an alarm with the remote start but the problem is that I don't want to bypass the key chip.. See after you bypass that. The Chip in your key is completely useless. Thus making it easier to hot wire and steel. Cuz admit it. Your pager alarm with the 1 mile radius goes off and you're 1/2 mile away. Do you really think You'll make it there in time to stop the theves from steeling your car..... I don't think so....
So I ask you guys if you know of any module that will let me have a remote start and bypass the chip?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by dragone2717
I have an 03 Z Enthuzed. Automatic.. I want to get an alarm with the remote start but the problem is that I don't want to bypass the key chip.. See after you bypass that. The Chip in your key is completely useless. Thus making it easier to hot wire and steel. Cuz admit it. Your pager alarm with the 1 mile radius goes off and you're 1/2 mile away. Do you really think You'll make it there in time to stop the theves from steeling your car..... I don't think so....
So I ask you guys if you know of any module that will let me have a remote start and bypass the chip?
You are 100% completely wrong regarding the operation of the bypass.

The bypass will ONLY bypass the transponder system when the car is remote started. At all other times the transponder system will NOT be bypassed. If it were bypassed all the time your car would never start with the key, because the system will see two keys at the same time, which it doesn't allow.

The problem with transponder bypasses is that it requires the key to be hidden somewhere in the car. Some installers don't hide them well, making them a security threat. If you put the key in a box far enough up in the dash no one will find it you'll be ok. Another old trick is to grind down the teeth on the key to prevent people from finding the key and using the hidden key to start the car and drive off.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
dragone2717

Originally Posted by KPierson
You are 100% completely wrong regarding the operation of the bypass.

The bypass will ONLY bypass the transponder system when the car is remote started. At all other times the transponder system will NOT be bypassed. If it were bypassed all the time your car would never start with the key, because the system will see two keys at the same time, which it doesn't allow.

The problem with transponder bypasses is that it requires the key to be hidden somewhere in the car. Some installers don't hide them well, making them a security threat. If you put the key in a box far enough up in the dash no one will find it you'll be ok. Another old trick is to grind down the teeth on the key to prevent people from finding the key and using the hidden key to start the car and drive off.

I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you on that. If the key is inside the car, then the computer will always think the same. So what will it take for someone the just cut some wires from the alarm itself, Disable the remote so that it will stop chirping, and by-by-Z....
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
KPierson
Banned

The key doesn't transmit it's signal very far (6" tops). There is a box you put the key in, the box has a transponder ring on it that you wrap around the ignition key cylinder. When you remote start the car the (-) status output energizes the box, which in turn sends the signal to the ring around the ignition key cylinder.

Disagree with me all you would like, but I'm still right!

If you still don't believe me, take both of your keys to your car, put one in the ignition and put the other one RIGHT next to it. Try and start the car. (I really wouldn't recomend doing this as some cars will instantly disable both keys if they are dectected in the ignition at the same time).

Anyway, you're giving the stock transponder system too much credit, if you are going to rely on it to keep your car from being stolen. I could bypass your OEM transponder system in under 60 seconds and have the car running in less then 2 minutes, and that includes unlocking the doors and disarming the OEM alarm, and I'm not a car thief.

Throw in an aftermarket alarm and you'll slow down a good thief by 60 seconds or so.

The newer generation Nissans and Infinitis have VERY weak OEM security systems and are very easy to bypass.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 PM
yellow350rag

1 put the key in the ignition and hit the remote start for one
2 if that doesnt work once you hit the remote start put the clutch in and hold it all the way through the remote start sequence
3 put the key in the ignition and hit the remote start, as soon as the lights flash confirming signal was recieved, turn the key to RUN don't crank it, this will determine whether or not ignitions and accessories are powered correctly.
4 if it's a CompuStar SS and it's manual safe, why did you tap a neutral safety in the car? and what from the remote start did you hook to this?? that might be your issue
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Mewantbfp

Originally Posted by stylinZ
I have completed an install of a 2WSS-AS remote starter/alarm in my 03 6spd Z. Every single thing works fine with the exception the of the remote start. I already have the clutch bypassed in conjunction with the neutral safety switch (ground) output from the ecu (pin 102).

When remote start is activated, it attempts to start the car for barely a second and it cuts off. The car starts fine manually with the key. I have reason to believe that my 556U Immobilzer Interface Bypass is not functioning correctly.

My question is: Is the install of the bypass module the standard type? Black wire to ground, Blue wire to status output of the alarm module, and Red to 12+ constant? Was the pink wire, the latching input, connected to the ignition to keep the 556U engaged to complete the starting sequence? Does this module have a key learning setup like other bypass modules?

It really seems like something is just preventing the remote start from from ultimately starting the car. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities. Any input or advice would help. Thanks in advance.

This is happening to me too im going back to the place that installed it 2morrow and there going to fix it they said they would have to get a hold of tech support because they were having problems getting it to stay started but the weird thing is mine actually starts for about 10 seconds or so and then it shut's off. hopefully it will be working this time 2morrow. oh and i dont have the 2WSS-AS alarm so its probably something that happens with the 350's.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Mewantbfp

Hey has anyone figured out why the remote start wont stay started i got a call from my shop today telling me that they cant figure out how to keep it started and they also said that they think the module in my remote start is bad which i find to be too coincidental considering alot of you have experienced the same thing. If you guys can give me any help that would be great they close in a few hours and i wanted to try and give them some advice before they call me and say it cant be done.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
KPierson
Banned

What are they using for a tach signal? That is where I would look first.

How long will yours stay remote started before it shuts down?

If you put the key in the ignition AFTER it remote starts and turn it to the 'on' position does the car run indefinately?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Mewantbfp

they say if they keep it reved at about 3,000 rpms with out the key it stays on. and they say they tried multiple tach attempts. I dont know what to tell them. but they said it will be ready in an hour no matter what.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:38 PM
KPierson
Banned

If it stays running at higher RPMs it is most likely a tach issue.

They should have the tach hooked up to a fuel injector signal.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I didn't know you could get remote start on the Manuals. I figured it COULD be done, I just didn't know if they would want people leaving their cars in neutral.

Definitely have to look into that, especially with winter coming up!
Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Mewantbfp

Originally Posted by KPierson
If it stays running at higher RPMs it is most likely a tach issue.

They should have the tach hooked up to a fuel injector signal.
Well i just left the shop im going to order them a new module to put in and if they say they have the same problem ill tell them about the fuel injector thanks for your help.