Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

biginer.. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
rkd350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile biginer.. need help.

ok. so..

I search the forms and didn't get much info that I need..

I am tired of my stock system and want to drop some $$$ to make my system better.

I am definatly going to change my Head Unit and Front speakers but I can't decide which speaker to get. Also, would it be better to get Amp for the speaker even though I'm getting HU? If its better I will go for it.

for the Subs & Amp I'll go for it later due to $$$ problem.

any suggestion for Speaker & Amp(if needed) ???
Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM
702Fairlady

Alot of speakers are good but we gotta know what price range to get you into. I can tell you that focal utopias sound real good for about a 1000. But the Alpine Type R's are very nice for about 250.

Kinda like saying "For Sale: A thing that does something....gimme your best offer."
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by zz350zz; 07-21-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my take is:

if you are on a budget:

1. decent headunit -200-250 dollar rnage

2. decent 4 channel amp 4x 75 watt range

3. decent replacement FRONT speakers, as they make the biggest difference, say 150-250 dollar range

4. decent 10" sub..125 dollar range

do a good install and it will sound pretty darn good

b
Old 07-20-2006, 09:04 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by icedout589
....if you're on a budget......

1) Leave the front speakers...they're half decent....replace the rear speakers w/ alpine type r's or whatever you want that fits your budget

2) Leave factory headunit....get a line output converter, amp kit, amp (alpine mp450 is best bang for the buck, a sub of your choice, and a Zenclosure box

3) I chose a JL10w6 with that amp and it thumps quite loudly and all in all not a bad system
Sorry bro ... but that is some of the worst advice I have seen given on this forum.

The front speakers are the BIGGEST part of this whole equation. The rears you don't even need.

Adding a sub to the stock stereo is again another big mistake....it doesn't have the frequency response that will suit a nice subwoofer .. it'll just sound like a boombox.

OP,
On a budget ... I suggest upgrading the front speakers to components and then the head unit(almost of equal importance). Next step is a power amplifier and a smaller 10" subwoofer ... do it right, and you'll have a better stereo that 85% of the people out there.

Jim
Old 07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
rkd350z

Talking

my range is about 600~900

thanks guys keep it coming!!

Last edited by rkd350z; 07-20-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 PM
dannichols

You mention that the head unit is definitely something you want to replace. If that is so, then start there. Just try not to buy and install anything that you won't be able to use down the road as you upgrade the rest of the system. Also, try not to have to install something twice..like power or speaker wiring. IE: go with bigger wire in the beginning so you won't have to rip things out down the road.

Look at Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, Panasonic, or any other HU you feel has the features you want. Somethings to consider for down the road: number of pre-outs, internal crossover, EQ, etc..

Get a proper wiring harness and that is all you will need to upgrade for now. Then look to replacing the front speakers, adding amps, and then sub. A 4 chnl amp may be the best bang for the buck because you can later use it bridged to power a sub and the front components. With a decent HU you can power the rears from the HU if you want and all other speakers from the amps.

Good luck

Originally Posted by rkd350z
ok. so..

I search the forms and didn't get much info that I need..

I am tired of my stock system and want to drop some $$$ to make my system better.

I am definatly going to change my Head Unit and Front speakers but I can't decide which speaker to get. Also, would it be better to get Amp for the speaker even though I'm getting HU? If its better I will go for it.

for the Subs & Amp I'll go for it later due to $$$ problem.

any suggestion for Speaker & Amp(if needed) ???
Old 07-20-2006, 09:24 PM
dannichols

Originally Posted by rkd350z
my range is about 600~900

thanks guys keep it coming!!

That's a good start if you're doing things yourself. That should be plenty to get the head unit, harness, and front components. maybe even an amp and wiring if you're a good shopper. If you're having a shop do it you may still be good to go, just limited on what you can get.

Note from experience...watch out for middle-men internet Car Stereo webstores. I have had many issues with components and most of them won't honour their warranty policy. Two stores still have items I sent back and I have been waiting a year to get a replacement. Same thing goes for Ebay, I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I've been bitten too many times.

Regarding HU and components, things I would recommend from having 3 different head units and 4 sets of speakers. make sure the HU will open properly and sit flush when it closes in the mount plate you purchase. Also make sure the screen is visible even in daylight. I would also recommend mids with a shallower depth, like under 2.5". Otherwise you're going to have fun trying to wedge them between the door frame and the panel. Some speakers I like that are very shallow are the CDT Audio EF-63NEO 6 1/2" Slim Neo Braxial, MBQ PCE, Diamond Hex, and BA Pro. Most of these are near 2" which wil only require you to have a 1/2" spacer.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by icedout589
....if you're on a budget......

1) Leave the front speakers...they're half decent....replace the rear speakers w/ alpine type r's or whatever you want that fits your budget

2) Leave factory headunit....get a line output converter, amp kit, amp (alpine mp450 is best bang for the buck, a sub of your choice, and a Zenclosure box

3) I chose a JL10w6 with that amp and it thumps quite loudly and all in all not a bad system
Wow I'm speechless not good advice.. and Ill tell you why...

At a concert, or when listening to live music in a theatre, do you sit facing the back of the venue?
NO you dont you face the stage in other words you face music, thats called front stage and its the most important part of re-creating the audible experience in your car. You replace the front speakers, if anything you leave the rear speakers as is because they only provide REAR FILL. Rear fill is the echo off the back wall of the theatre or concert.

Replace the headunit
Replace the front speakers
Get a four channel amp
2 channels are for the front speakers
2 channels you bridge to the sub
You power the rear speakers off the headunit

Thats budget and you will be able to upgrade individual components later on

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-20-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
I suggest upgrading the front speakers to components and then the head unit(almost of equal importance). Next step is a power amplifier and a smaller 10" subwoofer ... do it right, and you'll have a better stereo that 85% of the people out there.

Jim
Best advice, IMO -- This is same info I have been able to conclude in my 2-3 weeks of searching through the Z - Forums... and the route I'm taking

... and Ichigo seems to agree as well.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 07-20-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by dannichols
Note from experience...watch out for middle-men internet Car Stereo webstores. I have had many issues with components and most of them won't honour their warranty policy. Two stores still have items I sent back and I have been waiting a year to get a replacement. Same thing goes for Ebay, I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I've been bitten too many times.
I'd be willing to bet those same vendors you purchased from have a stipulation in their warranty agreement that the equipment needs to be installed professionally before they will honor a warranty claim. Gotta read the fine print man. After listening to half the butcher stories here, can you blame them?

Any din sized unit will fit, and will be flush. Just get the correct mounting kit. It depends on you following the directions for the mounting kit.

If you can show me a headunit that sticks out of a Z dashboard, Ill show you an installer who isnt worth a squirt of ****.
The only time when this kind of install is expected is when they dont make a proper mounting kit for your vehicle (I feel bad for the peeps waiting on a kit for the 06's)

16psibrick is right on the money You too JimRHIT

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-20-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:50 PM
dannichols

uhhh..ok

The components I sent back had nothing to do with installation. They were damaged in shipping. I spent my own money in return shipping a year ago and now get no response from e-mail or phone calls.

I had a Kenwood Excelon deck that would not sit flush in the AMA mounting kit. It stuck out because of the way it had to swivel..the front face plate was a theft deterrent blank plate.

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I'd be willing to bet those same vendors you purchased from have a stipulation in their warranty agreement that the equipment needs to be installed professionally before they will honor a warranty claim. Gotta read the fine print man. After listening to half the butcher stories here, can you blame them?

Any din sized unit will fit, and will be flush. Just get the correct mounting kit. It depends on you following the directions for the mounting kit.

If you can show me a headunit that sticks out of a Z dashboard, Ill show you an installer who isnt worth a squirt of ****.
The only time when this kind of install is expected is when they dont make a proper mounting kit for your vehicle (I feel bad for the peeps waiting on a kit for the 06's)

16psibrick is right on the money You too JimRHIT
Old 07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
JimRHIT

$600-$900.

I'd recommend an Alpine 7995

CDT 6.5" components

Hifonics Zues 4-channel

Alpine 10" R in a sealed box (Zenclosures).

If you install it yourself .. you are looking at ~$75-100 in misc. items .. you should land right around $900
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM
batmanesaul

im doing alpine all around. i have 2 10'' type R (hit really hard) witha kenwood amp.. soon to be replaced with a couple alpines. I bought the type R door speakers and im waitng to get time to install them and i also have te rear speakers.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM
dannichols

$600-$900.

I'd recommend an Alpine 7995

CDT 6.5" components

Hifonics Zues 4-channel

Alpine 10" R in a sealed box (Zenclosures).

If you install it yourself .. you are looking at ~$75-100 in misc. items .. you should land right around $900

yep yep on the CDT's. Good quality spkrs, nice sound, nice tech support dept. and you can buy straight from manufacturer for decent price.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
batmanesaul

oh ya to me brand doesnt really matter because they are going to be hidden anyways, unless u plan on making everything custom n sow off thegoods.. but idk thats what i think
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 AM
clearsector

wow.. he took down his post because of you...

Sorry bro ... but that is some of the worst advice I have seen given on this forum.

The front speakers are the BIGGEST part of this whole equation. The rears you don't even need.

Adding a sub to the stock stereo is again another big mistake....it doesn't have the frequency response that will suit a nice subwoofer .. it'll just sound like a boombox.

OP,
On a budget ... I suggest upgrading the front speakers to components and then the head unit(almost of equal importance). Next step is a power amplifier and a smaller 10" subwoofer ... do it right, and you'll have a better stereo that 85% of the people out there.

Jim
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 AM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by clearsector

wow.. he took down his post because of you...
I have that effect on people
Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by dannichols
uhhh..ok

The components I sent back had nothing to do with installation. They were damaged in shipping. I spent my own money in return shipping a year ago and now get no response from e-mail or phone calls.

I had a Kenwood Excelon deck that would not sit flush in the AMA mounting kit. It stuck out because of the way it had to swivel..the front face plate was a theft deterrent blank plate.

I had similar dealings with ebay vendors, I was bringing my situation to the table. What happened to you sounds like some real ****ty business. Post up those bad vendors so othere here can steer clear. I meant no sarcasm directed at you, sorry if I came off a little snippy
Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
dannichols

Not a prob.. My suggestion about the faceplate was probably not typical for most people. I will say I've had good and bad experiences with Ebay and E-stores when it comes to car audio. You can defintiely save money. My theory is just try to do all you can to ensure you aren't getting broken, grey, refurbed, or couterfeit goods. Couple other things that have helped me with online purchases---

-Check out the seller rating - stick to those with 99.something and read feedback
-Try to buy items that have a serial number
-Try to get an ebay warranty (Square trade) from a 3rd party source
-If the item requires pro installation in fine print, have it done and get receipt.
- look for quality audio equipment being sold directly online from the manufacturer.
- watch out for extremely high shipping rates.
- E-mail or Call their "customer support" line before ordering to test what type of response you get.

Two other things I would throw out there to consider are the new Alpine HUs like CDA 9857 and JL slash amps.

Dano

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I had similar dealings with ebay vendors, I was bringing my situation to the table. What happened to you sounds like some real ****ty business. Post up those bad vendors so othere here can steer clear. I meant no sarcasm directed at you, sorry if I came off a little snippy