Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Any experience with 6 1/2in 3-way speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with 6 1/2in 3-way speakers?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using 3-way 6 1/2in speakers. I believe Rockford and Pioneer make them.... I was thinking of using the Polk 6 1/2 component speakers I already have in the doors, buying some 3-ways for behind the seats, use the amp I have to run them and be done with it. (oh, I want to ad a Navi but might just go with the Kenwood head unit I already have.) I have 2 JL 10 in subs but thinking i would rather stay away from subs this time. I've had the system that can be heard from 2 blocks down the street and dont need it anymore. Plus, I think eventually it makes your interior start rattling and would rather keep the trunk space. Anyway, if you have used them or are currently using them, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:50 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

there really isny benefit to a 3 way, infact, most 3 ways i have heard, infitnity, pioneer, sound pretty crappy...in those cheap coaxials, there is no way they can acutally fit a GOOD midrange and tweeter in there...and it just serves to block the midbass more and also makes for shrill midrange...

a decent two way coax is all you need...

also, in no way shape or form any thing that can fit in the back speaker area will remotely subsitutely for even a small true subwoofer

subs arent for booming, they are for accurate reproduction of music, and most music contains notes below 80hz, where a true sub can produce, when you try to make a norma mid/high spekares go below 80hz with authroity, they tend to break up, get sloppy, sound hollow and easily blown, aprt of the reason why stock system sound crappy becuase they are making small speakres produce full range
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
LAKERSFAN

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
there really isny benefit to a 3 way, infact, most 3 ways i have heard, infitnity, pioneer, sound pretty crappy...in those cheap coaxials, there is no way they can acutally fit a GOOD midrange and tweeter in there...and it just serves to block the midbass more and also makes for shrill midrange...

a decent two way coax is all you need...

also, in no way shape or form any thing that can fit in the back speaker area will remotely subsitutely for even a small true subwoofer

subs arent for booming, they are for accurate reproduction of music, and most music contains notes below 80hz, where a true sub can produce, when you try to make a norma mid/high spekares go below 80hz with authroity, they tend to break up, get sloppy, sound hollow and easily blown, aprt of the reason why stock system sound crappy becuase they are making small speakres produce full range

2-way coax provides mids and highs, right? So, is there not a way for me to get some decent bass without using subs?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

sub bass, really is 80hz and below in a car...doesnt matter what manufactuers list as their freq response on thieir 6.5" coax, its not going to play bass correctly.

a good 6.5", and i mean realyl really good, if you give it a true enclosure, can go down to 40hz maybe slightly slightly lower, but not a normal 6.5" coax that fits in the stock rear speaker location.

you will be lucky to get a sepaker to fit in there and reach down to 80hz with any kind of authority.

its a simple truth unfortuantely...if there were speakres you can just drop in there to produce sub bass, everyone would be doing it
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
LAKERSFAN

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
sub bass, really is 80hz and below in a car...doesnt matter what manufactuers list as their freq response on thieir 6.5" coax, its not going to play bass correctly.

a good 6.5", and i mean realyl really good, if you give it a true enclosure, can go down to 40hz maybe slightly slightly lower, but not a normal 6.5" coax that fits in the stock rear speaker location.

you will be lucky to get a sepaker to fit in there and reach down to 80hz with any kind of authority.

its a simple truth unfortuantely...if there were speakres you can just drop in there to produce sub bass, everyone would be doing it
In your experience, does going 2 way in front and back sound funny? Im not looking for anything thats going to vibrate the car..... Just something simple and clean...... What do you suggest?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN
What do you suggest?
Spend 80% of your money up in the front of the car ... get a component set that will please your ears. The other 20% can be used for some cheap coaxials ... fade them low and use them for fill ... there is no reason to have good midrange and highs coming from behind you in a car .. this isn't a theater
Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

like jim said, i suggest:

good front speakres, do kick panels if you can as it really makes a big difference int he car, forget about rear speakres, and do a sub, if you dont need a lot of bass, a low powered 10 or 8 off of 200 watts or so will do fine

i always tell people who are looking to get the most on a budget this:

if you are going to spend money, spend it on front speakres and the install, good amps, subs and headunits are easy to find...but how you install it and how good the front sepakres are will dictate 90 percent of how a budget system sounds overall

b
Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
ss350

sorry to hijack.... what should i set my low cut-off frequency on my mid's to be and also on my subs?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:29 PM
JimRHIT

50-60Hz for rock, j***, pop etc ...

80-100Hz for rap, r+b and techno